1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552
554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563
Next

Last
  1. Whazzzup
    Look forward to antipodes analysis of HD amazon, I don’t stream but might one year.

2. Triode User
    Waaaay off topic, but I couldn't resist posting a picture of this little 20yr old baby that I have just bought to play with the Mscaler. I'm just testing it all internally because it looks like it hasn't been used for 10 years then we can have a listen.

8w of lovely triode power per channel.

_DSC3135.jpg

Nik74, blueninjasix, musickid and 5 others like this.
  3. miketlse
    Have fun. I read articles that mention that not many decades ago, audiophiles built amplifiers rated at 2W that successfuly drove the available speakers. 8W should murder legacy speakers. :smiley:
    This raises the nagging question in my mind, that in the search for audio accuracy, we have ventured too far onto the path of reducing the efficiency of speakers.
    The question remains nagging, because I know how enjoyable my Hugo 2 can be, direct driving speakers rated at 300W.

4. Progisus
    Just spent a most enjoyable hour with YES, Open Your Eyes and M Scaler. I’ve always considered this a somewhat “dense” recording. The M Scaler has totally opened it up, allowing one to track each instrument and hear sounds previously muddied into the background.

AndrewH13 and ZappaMan like this.
  5. Triode User
    The thing about those 8w that I have just bought though is that I do not expect them to give me stomach churning deep bass. The bass will be there but not in the same way as my mono solid state power amps. I know because for twenty years my power amps were 2A3 triodes giving 15w per channel. They were divine but not much good for Led Zep.

6. miketlse
    The first thought that came into my mind, was how the recent Steve Wilson remixes of earlier Yes albums, transformed some 'dense' tracks into completely different tracks, allowing 'space' between instruments, vocalists etc, and resulting in albums that sounded completely new to me.
    I was using Hugo 2, so I assume that even better results were possible with M Scaler.

Progisus likes this.
  7. miketlse
    Yes, but standing to one side and asking a lateral question - does that expose limitations within the amp or loudspeaker?

8. fire2368
    Been trying to get solid opinions on this.

I've already got a Hugo 2 and qbd76hdsd. Would it worth selling it all for a Dave or to get one of these M scalers?

9. musickid
    Sell qbd76 then buy an mscaler to use with hugo2 giving stellar results. Then you can work your way up the chord dac chain as and when your needs / funds allow. That's what i've done and recently exchanged hugo 2 for a tt2 to use with my mcaler. For me the mscaler is essential. That's my best advice. Maybe you should also audition hugo2/mscaler vs solo dave as it can be a personal preference "thing".

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    JM1979 and fire2368 like this.
  10. rkt31
    Sell everything and buy tt2 and HMS if possible. You are missing something if not buying this combo. Enjoy this combo to fullest until new Dave 2 released !:)

11. musickid
    Then just sell all your houses and buy mscaled dave's for every corner of your new caravans.:deadhorse::deadhorse:

When do you think DAVE 2 will surface RK? Your best guess.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  12. GreenBow
    DAVE TT ..... for the win. :musical_score:

13. musickid
    it's already in TT form?

14. Chester Rockwell

Rob has said a few times he’s not even working on a Dave successor yet. I know some don’t believe that but I honestly think if he was, he would just say nothing rather than outright lie.

I’m sure he has a few ideas floating about but I don’t think we should expect anything soon. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Turdski, x RELIC x, JM1979 and 3 others like this.
  15. Rob Watts
    Absolutely - my integrity and honesty means that every post I make is the truth as I see it at that moment in time.

Now that's very easy to say - but being completely honest in my posts is a damn good long term business sense - simply because people believe what I write - and the moment I were to write one single un-truth you guys would spot it either now or in the future. And losing your reputation for honesty is like losing one's virginity - it only happens once.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    STR-1, snk8699, x RELIC x and 13 others like this.
First

Back
543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552
554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563
Next

Last