1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452
454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463
Next

Last
  1. onlychild

On the plane Rob uses the Hugo2 with mscaler, not TT2 with Mscaler.

2. GreenBow
    Ah OK, my bad.

I made a mistake in that last post of mine, but edited it now.

(I said, "Since battery pack does not run at 12v", but meant 15v.)

3. Thenewguy007
    You mean the LPS 1.2 is a big step up in build/design quality or it actually makes a improvement in sound quality over the battery pack?

4. ray-dude
    Sound quality. The quality of voltage regulation is definitely audible for me (depth resolution, sense of space, etc).

onsionsi, apmusson and Deano1974 like this.
  5. HumanMedia
    Eagerly awaiting your findings.

ray-dude likes this.
  6. plinth
    I have used the M Scaler and TT2 on a flight. I plug the TT2 into the 110v outlet and use the battery for the M-scaler. On the BA 747 the outlet tripped with both connected.

HumanMedia likes this.
  7. apmusson
    Looking forward to hearing about your experiments Ray. My LPS 1.2 is sitting in anticipation... :smile_phones:

Christer likes this.
  8. JM1979
    I wanted to thank you for this post. I got an M Scaler a week or two ago and while I love it, I swore I was hearing some RF noise in my system. Nothing major but it was audible and slightly distracting from the amazing sound of the M Scaler in my chain.

Since the M Scaler was the only change I made, I figured it was either the BNC cables picking it up or the amount of power and devices I now had plugged into my surge protector.

I ended up getting the Supra MD06 + LoRad plug/cord. It arrived today and I can tell a noticeable improvement immediately. That slight fuzz in the background is gone and the music is much cleaner / darker background. This was a very nice, inexpensive fix.

apmusson and ZappaMan like this.
  9. Ragnar-BY
    Have you tried using two LPS 1.2 unites together in series to get 16V for M Scaler? And what do you think about leaving Uptone LPS constantly on with M Scaler, does it get hot?

P.S. Looking forward to the big post.

10. ray-dude
    I have not tried two LPS’s in series (I don’t have a cable to do that easily) I’d need to refresh my memory of the current required by the mScaler to see if the LPS could support it.

I have not driven the LPS to its limits, but Alex has been consistent in saying the units are fine, even when running hot (IIRC, they run hot when they get above 0.5A, and very hot when they get close to their rated 1.1A)

Ragnar-BY likes this.
  11. HumanMedia
    Me too!
    I just ordered an LPS 1.2, but not sure the best place for it yet, hopefully Ray-dude has some info before it arrives.

Also the M Scaler is fine with just 12V as thats the output of the battery pack Rob uses, from memory the LPS 1.2 outputs 12v?

I know using a single supply for multiple devices is bad as leakage is transmitted over the shared negative, so Im thinking the LPS 1.2 is best on the end device (DAC) and I will use JS-2’s one each on the player (UltraRendu) and the MScaler?

But I wonder if this strategy will be confirmed by the findings from Ray-dude’s lab.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  12. Triode User
    Great news that you are happier with your sound but a ‘slight fuzz in the background’ is not a typical symptom of RF noise. More typical would be a hardening or harshness in the top end due to the intermodulation distortion. Reducing RF noise is normally recognised my a slightly smoother or less harsh sound.

Amberlamps likes this.
  13. JM1979
    Interesting. I had not idea that was the main trait of RF noise. I definitely noticed that fuzz type of sound that I mentioned after adding the M Scaler and then went down some rabbit holes online trying to properly identify it. I kept coming to amateur radio sites that in reading them made me think it was RF.

Anyway, glad it’s solved. I guess whatever it was made the background less black and that is now much better.

Thanks @Triode User

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Triode User likes this.
  14. STR-1
    @Rob Watts - Rob, what differences, if any, do you notice in sound quality/sound characteristics between using the supplied smps and the Poweradd battery pack with the M Scaler?

llamaluv likes this.
  15. musickid
    I'm sure it was stated none. Maybe i'm wrong?

First

Back
443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452
454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463
Next

Last