1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451
453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462
Next

Last
  1. rkt31
    Anybody compared dsd64 via Dave dsd+ and same dsd64 via HMS and then to Dave in pcm+ ?

2. Tsyer
    Christer could you please provide the brand of your battery powered linear psu. I am very interested to try your setup. Thanks

3. analogmusic
    Battery powered linear PSU

Blimey.

It’s just ....

A simple battery, then .... ?

Amberlamps likes this.
  4. STR-1
    Annoyingly, the POWERADD Pilot Pro battery pack that Rob has previously quoted is not available in the UK.

5. Christer

Nor is it available in Sweden or anywhere in Asia where I tried to buy it this past winter.

I would REALLY like to know if there is or are any other more readily available powerbanks of the same quality and specs that can be used with M Scaler! I have asked this question before but still no response here.

According to Romaz over at CA/AS the Pilot Pro 2 is just as good as a much more expensive linear PSU regarded as one of the ultimate PSUs in one of his systems.
    I know this may be controversial but he has even exchanged the power supply on his DAVE.
    But until I have tried it in my own system I would NOT rule out the possibility that the power supply mentioned in one recent review linked to here recently could have a similar effect as the relatively cheap one I am using with Qutest.
    There may as suspected by some, be commercial interests involved yes.
    But in my experience both clean power and LOTS of power are essential to making large scale classical music sound realistic to me.
    All I can say so far is that the battery powered PSU "Musical Paradise MPU1" I am using with Qutest makes a difference.
    Some may prefer the supplied power unit under A/B conditions?
    And who knows maybe the linear supply mentioned above will raise the bar even further?
    But with recordings that I have a direct experience from the sessions with, I can hear that via the MPU1 things sound slightly cleaner and more relaxed and a bit closer to how it sounded live in the hall. And the same applies with most other good recordings.
    With a recording like Beethoven's 9th from BIS /Minnesota/ Vänska that I played yesterday,I was truly amazed at how realistic every section,and strings in particular, sounded via the rbcd layer of my SACD disc and HMS/Qutest into my kW 550 amp and my electrostatic speakers.

The highest praise I can give is to say it did NOT sound digital to me.

It sounded very very good and realistic and naturally warm at a level where I can almost forget that I am listening to a recording and completely focus on the music.
    And it is a very good interpretation of Beethoven's last symphony.

But with the supplied power unit I got a "colder version" for lack of better terms.

One of the first things I almost always notice with the live sound of an orchestra in a good hall is how warm, lush and woody strings sound even at loud levels compared to digital in most cases.

But HMS is changing things digital to a degree I am very happy with.

And I haven't even tried any other BNC cables than the ones supplied with HMS yet!

But I have three different sets of RCA cables to choose from between my Qutest and amps and they all deliver very diffferent sound signatures.
    Those who claim that there are no audible differences between RCA cables or headphone cables,need to have their ears cleaned imho.
    Unfortunately the most expensive RCA cables I have, which cost roughly the same as Qutest did when I bought it, sounds best with my best recordings.
    Cheers CC

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  6. Christer
    Hello Tsyer,
    Musical Paradise MPU1.
    I bought mine in KL for around 400 RM, I think it was? And I only use it with Qutest not HMS. But it should be available in Singapore as well. Try the Adelphi or maybe Zeppelin?
    The annoying thing about it is that I have to charge it after about four hours of use which can be a bit irritating.
    HIFI News recommeded the ifi power in their review of Qutest. I haven't tried that option because my main reason for buying the MPU1 was to avoid plugging more than absolutely needed of my units into the mains in Asia.
    While still in Singapore or KL I only plugged in my HMS nothing else.

Cheers CC

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  7. Tsyer
    Thanks Christer

8. Amberlamps
    Yeah, the newer version is out tho.

9. TheAttorney
    Is this the one?

10. STR-1
    That’s the one. I actually found one on Ebay yesterday (UK seller), which I took a punt on and bought. Will waIt to see if it’s in good nick when it arrives, hopefully by this weekend.

11. miketlse
    Looks like it.
    The v2 had the advantage that you could select from several output voltages.
    The v3 was fixed output voltage (from memory).
    Looks like the v4 is the current model.

12. Thenewguy007
    This thing?
    https://www.laptopbatteriescharger....-for-macbook-laptops-smartphones-and-tablets/

He used it as a power supply to his M Scaler & also bypassed the internal power supply of his Dave with it?

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  13. onlychild
    Thenewguy007 likes this.
  14. GreenBow
    I think that's the one that Monsieur Watts uses when taking his TT2 and M-Scaler on planes.

I know the M-Scaler can run at 12v, but does it mean the TT2 can too? Since that battery pack does not run at 15v.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  15. ray-dude
    I'll be posting a very long write up soon with the result of some power experiments (and other digital hygiene) and mScaler, but I can confirm this battery pack works great with Hugo mScaler at 12V, but sounds even better at 16V (details in the big post...coming soon, I promise). This is a fantastic battery pack to have around to experiment with power hygiene on the digital chain (I have 2 of them)

I am finding that in some situations, components really benefit from the better regulation in something like an Uptone LPS 1.2. I have 2 of those as well, and I've been swapping back and forth, trying to distinguish between the benefit of mains isolation (both battery pack and LPS 1.2 are mains isolated), and very high quality voltage regulation (LPS 1.2 is a big step up from the PowerAdd Pilot). For giggles, I've also been experimenting with a AA battery pack (all it takes is a paper clip to make in an adjustable voltage power supply :wink:. Again, perfect mains isolation, but a big step down on voltage regulation.

With these 3 sources, it's been pretty interesting to see what aspect of clean power is most impactful where in the digital chain. More soon, after I finish up a couple more test scenarios (some more optical isolation scenarios, USB Vbus power, etc)

onsionsi, austinpop, STR-1 and 6 others like this.
First

Back
442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451
453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462
Next

Last