1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430
432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441
Next

Last
  1. Deano1974
  2. Deano1974
    Review from Hong Kong

[​IMG]

Chord Hugo TT2 DAC Decoding + M Scaler Upconverter Quick Test – Reinventing the mastering of the recording master with the ultimate sound quality

• Ronin video publishing and headphones report headlines
    [​IMG]

British audio brand Chord Electronics recently introduced two Hugo TT2 DAC decoders and Hugo M Scaler upconverters for both desktop audio products, both of which use proprietary filtering techniques (WTA) and filtered sampling points (TAP) to make audio signals Extremely optimized, the signal can be reproduced in the most authentic way.Among them, the Chord Hugo TT2 table top headphone audio market uses 93,304 WTA filtered sampling points (TAP), 1.8 times that of the previous generation Hugo 2, and the digital signal is converted into analog signal with higher precision and sound. Closer to the original mastering.

[​IMG]

Corresponding terminals are more complete and comprehensive
    In addition to the timbre optimization function, the Hugo TT 2 is more comprehensive on the connection interface. The corresponding input terminals include USB Type B, optical fiber and a pair of BNCs, up to 768kHz PCM and DSD512 signals. The remaining output terminals have RCA Audio and a pair of XLR balances. As for the most intimate, it has reserved a pair of BNC outputs, compatible with the same factory DX amplifier. Its focus function includes 93,304 WTA filtered sampling points (TAP), which is 1.8 times that of Hugo 2, and the process of directly converting digital signals into analog signals is more accurate to present sound effects that are quite close to the studio master. .

[​IMG]
    The translucent polycarbonate knob of the fuselage can increase or decrease the volume of the left and right rotation, and the right side of the panel is set to 6.3mm and 3.5mm.
    [​IMG]
    When the volume is increased or decreased, the translucent polycarbonate knob will indicate the current state in a different color.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You can select the input source through the SET function.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hugo TT 2 is the main desktop market, and it is significantly more diversified on the signal terminals, corresponding to a variety of balanced inputs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dedicated to create a one-to-one studio master with delicate sound
    The Hugo M Scaler audio tuner features a set of USB Type B inputs, and is equipped with BNC and fiber optic inputs, and is designed to optimize the source with filtering technology (WTA). It is equipped with the latest Xilinx XC7A200T FPGA chip, with 740 DSP processing slices, 215,360 logic cells and 16Mb temporary storage, which can push the processing power up to 1,015,808 sampling points, so that the digital signal can be accurately close to the original mother. With analog audio status. At the same time, M Scaler is equipped with dual BNC outputs, corresponding to Hugo TT 2 connections, up to 768kHz sampling. The BNC output alone has been able to up-convert the signal up to 384 kHz.Fiber and BNC coaxial outputs also provide up to 192kHz upscaling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There is a set of USB Type B, two sets of BNC and fiber input on the back of the machine, and the output has dual BNC, fiber and BNC coaxial output.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Direct-driveearphone effect: The sound quality is fine and slippery .
    In terms of testing, I tested the Hugo TT2 sound performance on a PC computer (via USB terminal connection).Using the Windows 10 operating system laptop and application Boobar as the source, and using the Hugo TT2 direct drive Denon AH-D7100 earphone, the "communication" between the computer and Hugo TT2 is quite perfect, and the trial broadcasts several 16/ The operation and playback of 44.1 and 24/96 specification music files are also very smooth. In terms of overturning test two recent hot songs "Shallow" (16/44.1) and "Bohemian Rhapsody" (24/96), there are more than 90,000 WTA filter sampling points Hugo TT 2 in the sound and The slipperiness is obviously blessed and the music is very strong. In addition, the Hugo TT2 ear extension function can provide enough driving force for the earphones, so that the sound details and dynamics in the music have enough "stretching space" to fully restore the spatial distance and positioning layout of the recording.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 24/96 file stillmaintains a high-precision tri-band ratio.
    As far as Shallow (16/44.1) is concerned, the Hugo TT2, combined with the space details, vocals and instrument layout created by the AH-D7100, is very studio-like. Details such as light music from playing, moments before Bradly Copper begin to speakvaguely heard thecommotion and under Hugo TT2 becomes very "visible", then we can fully experience the atmosphere of deliberately put down and eagerly look forward to feeling to be of considerable presence intake. In terms of positioning, the Hugo TT2 is quite realistic in terms of sound field, spatial layout such as vertical (floor) and horizontal (instrument layout), and even if you don't need to close your eyes, you can feel the space of the recording scene. As for Bohemian Rhapsody (24/96), the sound density of the original file has been significantly improved compared to the previous 16/44.1 version. However, the high-frequency of this kind of course has become too sharp and harsh because of the need to deliberately highlight the details, and loses the musical sense of music. However, Hugo TT2 has done an excellent job in this regard. In addition to the relatively average performance of the tri-band, the mid-high-frequency abrupt sensation of 24/96 file inertia is reduced. As for the overall sound performance, it is more natural, the sound effect is positioned, the space is clear, and there is a good balance between detail and music.

[​IMG]

"Bluetooth" streaming to listen to the alternative experience of songs !! ?
    The surprise is that the effect of using the Bluetooth streaming signal to transmit the Joox source to the Hugo TT2 by the smartphone is also very good. It is completely necessary to wash the "Bluetooth" equivalent to the "Rotten" inertia law. It is believed that the WTA filtering sampling point can be sufficient. In order to complete the details of the lost music, the sense of meticulousness is full, but the degree of spatial distance reduction is slightly inferior to the solid line. Measuring the two major scoring criteria of sound quality and simplicity, the process of the first pairing of this machine is quite smooth.Plus Shanghai online quality song library on the Hugo TT2 can complement the source to the delicate texture of the original analog signal, so that the sound quality, volume and even the operation can meet all the needs of music fever, so in pricing It is already clear that Chord is full of confidence in this work.

[​IMG]

The sound quality of the studio is the ultimate killer Hugo M Scaler
    As for the Hugo M Scaler, which deliberately blesses the details of the sound, the Huge TT2 has the same focus as the "sampling point". Nearly a million sampling points are exchanged for finer sound details and sound density. As far as "Bohemian Rhapsody" (24/96) is concerned, Hugo M Scaler further smoothes the digital noise of the sound, making the sound more like the analog signal texture unique to the original vocal cords. In addition to many of the many sound effects in the track, there are clearer trajectory positioning movements, details such as the air position or the strength of the playing, can be clearly restored after Hugo M Scaler processing, the degree of detail is like Everyone brought to the studio, the ultimate snoring with a strong appeal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Conclusion: "The ultimate mastery sound experience that the portable device series can't match "
    In summary, Chord Hugo TT and Hugo M Scaler do a lot of repair and repair work on the sound details, even if the source of the general CD quality can create sound details and density close to the original master tape, this is Hugo TT The most extraordinary thing. Even if you don't plan to spend a lot of money, music enthusiasts who add a post-level or other speaker configuration may wish to focus on their ear-expanding function and experience the original sound in the most authentic way. On the volume or tone, Chord Hugo TT is a focus product with a very high plasticity. As for Hugo M Scaler, it is obviously aimed at players who are keen to make the playback system into a studio experience. The ultimate enthusiast player who restores every detail in the music file to the ear one by one.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    musickid, Tao8, Deftone and 2 others like this.
  3. delirium
    Well now finaly i got the sound right! Toslink....oh yes..sounds amazing..but a question on the toslink...? I am useing the free cable now..does it help with a better one...glass? Thanks....

4. Chester Rockwell
    No, it makes no difference. The only consideration around quality is ensuring it’s able to handle 192. Some of the cheaper cables are sometimes better for this than the more expensive brands. If you are in the UK there is a brand on Amazon called KabelDirect that are cheap and very well made. Lots of people on here use them.

delirium likes this.
  5. delirium
    Ok...thanks. So better cable than that is waste of money..?

6. Chester Rockwell
    In my opinion, yes. They all just allow light to travel through them. No shielding considerations or RF noise to worry about. So long as the build quality is good, that’s all I would worry about.

delirium likes this.
  7. delirium
    Thanks again:L3000:

8. delirium
    I tried this toslink thing before with my laptop a year ago...sounded like sh...t. But this time and with aries g2...sounds great..so source must matter..or i had a bad soundcard on my pc? If i had known this before i would have saved a lot of money.....oh my......

9. dac64
    What have you done right? Thanks!

I have some sacd-enabled sony ps3, thought of optical out redbook!

10. analogmusic
    I’m using google chrome cast audio with my Dave through optical

Sounds great ...

11. Christer
    Or read it in German.
    Anyway, the review is basically yet another review, this time from Germany,that sings the praise of M Scaler but has some slight reservations regarding TT2 on its own. And TT2 used to drive speakers directly.
    In all other respect a raving review.

The slight critcism regarding TT2 and speakers direct is that the more powerful class A amp used in the comparison delivered more space and soundstage than the TT2 could via the speakers used to the reviewer.

But with the M Scaler in the chain the reviewer has nothing but praise to offer.
    He also mentions how Rob himself warned, how difficult it would to go back to any of his DACs once M Scaler as been added to the equation!

I heartily agree with that warning.

Yesterday I made a not ideal or objective,setting absolute equal levels was not possible. But still an A/B comparison between TT2/HMS and Sony's flagship DMPZ1 via HD800 and some DSD tracks I know very well and have direct personal relation to.
    Under definitely NOT as quiet conditions as I would have wished I could still hear some quite obvious differences between TT2/HMS and the Sony.
    The Sony plays DSD natively and sounded a little bit warmer. Closer to how I am used to hear DSD from other native DSD dacs. But as Rob often says, also a bit flatter and slightly less clear than TT2/HMS.

It seems that how it handled DSD,was the only criticism one of the British HIFI mags had when they reviewed TT2?

Another difference that stood out was that in the first movement of Bruckner's 7th symphony from Channel Classics the tympani rolls at around 16.20 near the end sounded a bit "bigger" and subjectively a tad more impressive via the SONY than via TT2/HMS.
    The tighter,subjectively leaner bass of the M Scaler is something that has been brought up for discussion here before.

I only listened to DSD tracks to hear how Sony's native DSD stood up against Rob's approach.But will compare with other material some other time.

I know how VERY GOOD HMS is since quite a while.

But I was a bit surprised that the SONY DMPZ1 sounded as good as it did with DSD under these far from ideal conditions.
    On the other hand taking its price into consideration, it bloody well should sound good too.
    Cheers Controversial Christer

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    wswbd, 514077 and ZappaMan like this.
  12. analogmusic
    The Sony costs 10’000 dollars..

It’s not small chump change is it now controversial Christer

Given that Mscaler and Hugo 2 costs considerably less

However....

The chord DACs all about transient accuracy.

13. Christer

WOW... I was counting the seconds and minutes before fanboy number ONE would respond.

Exactly three minutes this time!

Both ,FYI and peace of mind, relax, I DO get it,that is why I have an M Scaler and not a SONY DMPZ1.

My moniker is CC.

On the other hand judging from your post about Chromecast, I have reasons to suspect that you are possibly not taking FULL advantage of your DAVE, and M Scaler? You do have one of those as well ,don't you?
    Or are you using your DAVE on is own?

I have heard it stated here and in other forums that Chromecast may NOT be the best and most accurate and transparent way to play hi res files. Less accurate transients I believe being one drawback mentioned when using Chromecast? Maybe fine with 16/44.1 though?

Some listeners don't hear ANY differences between 16/44.1 and native hi res even with M Scaler.

Cheers Controversial Christer

delirium likes this.
  14. PhenixS1970
    March has been the month of change as I have made a major system overhaul by purchasing DAVE and HMS.

In my quest to optimize the setup I looked into the potential benefits of upgrading from the stock BNC cables.

Driven by the positive feedback on this community I ordered a pair of wavehighfidelity.com STREAM cables.

Nick delivered in a matter of days and so testing began, mainly with my 2 channel setup (Sugden A21SE and Harbeth m30.1).

As from the first track, the perceived depth and dark background of the soundstage was significantly increased compared to stock BNC.

These cables have a premium build and look (I’ve had high end cables from more established brands in the past and often wondered where the $ went when opening the box).

Soundwise I do not see any reason why not to keep these. However, there is a but.......

In my situation (and I must stress this), I am having too many difficulties to properly route the cables as the hifi gear is setup in a AV rack (hifiracks Podium XL) with too many boxes in the way (Apple TV, TV decoder etc.).

So sadly I had to return them and I’ll start looking for an alternative (at least I have a reference point now).

I want to thank Nick for the trial opportunity and any readers looking for an upgrade I can only recommend to put these on your shortlist.

15. analogmusic
    Controversial Christer ....

I don’t have any interest in HIRES FILES

So CHROMECAST is doing a very good job with native TIDAL integration.

No partial reason for my capitalization but hopefully you will get the message. Someday...

Oh and....I’m not particularly a fanboy of any company but have a tremendous respect and appreciation of Rob Watts 30 years of hard work to give us a DAC that finally delivers on all fronts...

It takes some understanding to appreciate how long Rob has been at this single pursuit of making a digital source that is musical and has the resolution and instrument separation while maintains the crucial transient accuracy. No shortcuts in his 30 years of hard work.

Many companies charge lots of money but cannot deliver what Chord have produced since their DAC 64 innovations.

As I love listening to all kinds of music it’s very important to me to have my Chord Mojo during my commute and enjoy the big system at home in the evenings...

First

Back
421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430
432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441
Next

Last