Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 28, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #6,301 of 18,345
I don’t know about that, Rob being ahead of the fpga.

Dave uses Xilinx Spartan 6, everything else like hugo 2, TT2 etc uses Xilinx Arctic 7.

Xilinx Spartan 7 is out and it’s the daddy of the Xilinx 7 range. Rob does not use the spartan 7 in his latest dac’s. I’m not sure what’s in the mscaler, but I will presume it’s an Arctic 7, which version of it, I have no idea.

Now the question begins. If Rob is ahead of the fpga, why isn’t he using the most powerful fpga from the Xilinx 7 range ?

Until he uses and maxes out the spartan 7 chip’s capabilities, then Rob is one step behind the fpga.

Idea’s, dream’s and aspirations do not count as being “ahead” of the fpga.
M Scaler uses the XC7A200T FPGA to be exact which is part of the Artix-7 family, so you're correct. :)

Also I believe the specific Spartan 6 chip used in the Dave is the XC6SLX75T. The website doesn't specifically say but I've done some deduction and snooping.

I'm eager to see what can be done with the Spartan 7 chips.

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #6,303 of 18,345
If Rob is ahead of the fpga, why isn’t he using the most powerful fpga from the Xilinx 7 range ?
Only Rob can tell, but I can speculate 3 possibilities:
1. Cost (chip price)
2. The Spartan7 is not really available. Remember Rob mentioned 3 years from "launched" to available
3. The Spartan7 is not much more powerful than Spartan6, like most intel cpus recently :)

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #6,304 of 18,345
M Scaler uses the XC7A200T FPGA to be exact which is part of the Artix-7 family, so you're correct. :)

Also I believe the specific Spartan 6 chip used in the Dave is the XC6SLX75T. The website doesn't specifically say but I've done some deduction and snooping.

I'm eager to see what can be done with the Spartan 7 chips.

The 200T is the best Xilinx Arctic chip. From there you need to go upstairs.

Mar 28, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #6,305 of 18,345
The 200T is the best Xilinx Arctic chip. From there you need to go upstairs.
Aaah yes, I got the chip families out of order. I meant to say that I'm curious what could be done with Virtex/Kintex 7 chips.

Mar 28, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #6,306 of 18,345
Only Rob can tell, but I can speculate 3 possibilities:
1. Cost (chip price)
2. The Spartan7 is not really available. Remember Rob mentioned 3 years from "launched" to available
3. The Spartan7 is not much more powerful than Spartan6, like most intel cpus recently :)

Hmm, ok ummm.

1, Cost, it shouldn’t matter if building the best dac, as Chords next dac is going to be atleast £9999. The price of the chip will be absorbed by the high price of the product.

2, Not sure what you mean when you say it’s “not really available”, ? It’s on there website as being available, but I dunno, when I visit websites with text, I just look at the pictures.

3, I have no idea how much faster and capable it is as my time is to valuable to be used to read glossy product brochures, but I wouldn’t automatically class it like desktop cpu’s releases. Yes, horizontal upgrades happen, but not all the time, remember i7920/30 etc to i72600K ? Maybe the same from spartan 6 to 7 ?

Mar 28, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #6,307 of 18,345
Aaah yes, I got the chip families out of order. I meant to say that I'm curious what could be done with Virtex/Kintex 7 chips.

Here’s the family tree, in no particular order.

596248F3-F51B-4F91-9C54-ACB93E906821.png D159CD13-1021-4CFD-A2C4-FF9C3AC3BBFC.png E1921FEB-27F9-47EE-A406-750D290916E2.png 9A565654-9A2B-43EE-857C-DF3E8DABF6B1.png

Mar 28, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #6,308 of 18,345
Hmm, ok ummm.
2, Not sure what you mean when you say it’s “not really available”, ? It’s on there website as being available, but I dunno, when I visit websites with text, I just look at the pictures.

3, I have no idea how much faster and capable it is as my time is to valuable to be used to read glossy product brochures, but I wouldn’t automatically class it like desktop cpu’s releases. Yes, horizontal upgrades happen, but not all the time, remember i7920/30 etc to i72600K ? Maybe the same from spartan 6 to 7 ?
2. Being on the website does not mean available. Your TT2 is on Chord website since announced 9 months ago, only started shipping late 2018, and it is not available from stock even today.
3. Even if it provides 15% performance increase (typical for cpus), it may not be considered sufficient by Rob to warrant a new product.

Mar 28, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #6,309 of 18,345
2. Being on the website does not mean available. Your TT2 is on Chord website since announced 9 months ago, only started shipping late 2018, and it is not available from stock even today.
3. Even if it provides 15% performance increase (typical for cpus), it may not be considered sufficient by Rob to warrant a new product.

Elementary my dear racebait.

2, https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/product-highlight/x/xilinx/spartan-7-fpga-family “immediate” aka on sale now. Can ship immediately.

3, Can you tell me exactly how much more powerful it is compared to the spartan 6 ? Spurious figure’s mean nothing.

It could update dave’s specs, extra taps etc, whilst dave also get’s tt2’s output power. A bug/glitch free dave with more taps and TT2’s output power could sell for say 9500 - 10’000, and it would sell, even if it was just a minor upgrade.

Say it was 15%, that 15% could be enough to update/refresh dave, but not make a dave 2.

Dave owners could possibly even send their daves back to chord to refurbish them with the upgraded design/pcb for a few grand, in the process, chord takes the returned dave pcb’s and sticks them into a new dave chassis or a cheaper remodelled chassis and sell them for £5k maybe more, and with a warranty for a year.

It nets them income from the original dave owner who wants to update his dave, and also nets them income from a new dave owner who is now able to afford and buy a refurbished second hand dave, with a warranty for a year, plus new buyers who are willing to spend 10k on an updated dave. Also those who just want the original dave for £8500

Thats 4 ways of making money from an upgraded mid life extension dave. 1,Original dave, 2, upgraded dave swap, 3, upgraded dave full purchase and 4, a second hand paupers dave with a bland case.

The possibilities are endless,

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #6,310 of 18,345
Elementary my dear racebait.

2, https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/product-highlight/x/xilinx/spartan-7-fpga-family “immediate” aka on sale now. Can ship immediately.

3, Can you tell me exactly how much more powerful it is compared to the spartan 6 ? Spurious figure’s mean nothing.

It could update dave’s specs, extra taps etc, whilst dave also get’s tt2’s output power. A bug/glitch free dave with more taps and TT2’s output power could sell for say 9500 - 10’000, and it would sell, even if it was just a minor upgrade.

Say it was 15%, that 15% could be enough to update/refresh dave, but not make a dave 2.

Dave owners could possibly even send their daves back to chord to refurbish them with the upgraded design/pcb for a few grand, in the process, chord takes the returned dave pcb’s and sticks them into a new dave chassis or a cheaper remodelled chassis and sell them for £5k maybe more, and with a warranty for a year.

It nets them income from the original dave owner who wants to update his dave, and also nets them income from a new dave owner who is now able to afford and buy a refurbished second hand dave, with a warranty for a year, plus new buyers who are willing to spend 10k on an updated dave. Also those who just want the original dave for £8500

Thats 4 ways of making money from an upgraded mid life extension dave. 1,Original dave, 2, upgraded dave swap, 3, upgraded dave full purchase and 4, a second hand paupers dave with a bland case.

The possibilities are endless,

Enough already ! Do you not have a lawn to mow, a room to paint, a chicken to pluck ? I have a box set of "Songs of Praise" you could borrow.

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #6,311 of 18,345
Enough already ! Do you not have a lawn to mow, a room to paint, a chicken to pluck ? I have a box set of "Songs of Praise" you could borrow.

It could be a viable option.

Lots of wealthy folk on here who would want an upgraded dave, lots of folk on here who want a dave but can’t afford 8.5k. Rob himself admits dave 2 is for the future, so whats the bad points of a mid life extension ? Schiit do it and it obviously works and makes them money at the same time.

For the mere fact you mentioned “songs of praise” you are being put on ignore.

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #6,312 of 18,345
It could be a viable option.

Lots of wealthy folk on here who would want an upgraded dave, lots of folk on here who want a dave but can’t afford 8.5k. Rob himself admits dave 2 is for the future, so whats the bad points of a mid life extension ? Schiit do it and it obviously works and makes them money at the same time.

For the mere fact you mentioned “songs of praise” you are being put on ignore.

Aw, diddums.

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #6,313 of 18,345
Lol

Owning a boxset of the songs of praise.

I was going to post facepalm picard, but somehow, thats just not enough!

Whats next, vhs copies of last of the summer wine ?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #6,314 of 18,345
Do you have the businessmodel for chord products? Remember its business too....
It’s not Chord’s roadmap you need— it’s Xilinx, as well as other industry suppliers, that have all adopted the same annual cycle of releasing products that were designed with planned obsolescence and corporate profits in mind from the outset. It is Chord’s sensibility and careful product planning that allows a business to survive.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #6,315 of 18,345

Cable newbie here so be kind since the M Scaler Manual does not include the Hugo 2.

I am running a CD Player with Optical Digital Out to the Hugo 2 at present and I will not be Streaming. I am also using Redbook CD's only at this time.

Could I use Optical Digital Out from the CD Player to the M Scaler and then Optical from the M Scaler to the Hugo 2.

Or would it be better if I came out of the CD Digital Out coax RCA Jack with an RCA to BNC Coax Cable into the M Scaler and then a BNC to RCA from the M Scaler to the 3.5 mm Adaptor shown in the Amazon Link above.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back