1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384
386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395
Next

Last
  1. tunes
    The pass through OP SR button does not seem to work. Cycling through the colors, music plays only with white color displayed. Is this normal? How do I test pass through to hear music without HMS?

2. Rob Watts
    1. Yes it matters for Dave. BNC2 or 4 is the right channel (on the top on Dave), and should connect to the right (Dual BNC out 2) (looking from the front of M scaler) dual OP BNC. The left one (Dual BNC 1) goes to the bottom BNC1 or 3.

2. DX OP is for future products only.

3. Sure it's 1M taps at 705 or 768k. Sample rate conversion at 705 to 768 is a very bad idea, as it adds distortion and noise.

4. As 2...

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    onsionsi likes this.
  3. Christer
    I am also a bit confused by all these choices available.

Since entering the world of computer audio around 2010 I have only been using my two mbp laptops as sources with my music on separate portable harddrives. But there are times when it would be nice to be able just to connect my Qutest and M Scaler to something much smaller than my current mbp 17" laptop everytime I want to listen to music.
    The AK380 seems like an expensive DAP and all I basically need is to transport my music files from a hardrive with a music player program as small and cheap as possible.
    Would AK's cheapest models sound the same as their most expensive used this way ie as transport only?
    I have spent enough money on Chord products already and want to avoid more big expenses. But I want to retain or if possible improve on the SQ I currently get via my mbp but with a much smaller footprint.
    Any ideas of DAPs that can be completely by-passed as far as their internal dacs are concered but still be used in configuration with a Chord DAC and M Scaler?
    I have very little interest in Roon and other streaming devices and solutions. I play almost only downloaded files, but I want the best possible SQ from my DAC M Scaler combo without having to use my laptop all the time.
    All advice regarding a portable cheap solution that will play all hi res formats from 24/96 to DXD and DSD would be much appreciated.
    Would most modern smartphones be a good option?
    PS I have NO intention whatsoever to buy the latest fanciest most expensive iPhone model all the kids buy.
    All I need it something that will suit my needs no more!
    Cheers Controversial Christer

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Siz., wswbd and Uncle Monty like this.
  4. tunes
    So it seems that the OP SR selection only works when the Dave is set to display BNC 4 but when
    D BNC3 705.6 kHz is displayed the OP SR button doesn’t work. Is this normal?

5. analogmusic
    Man goes to Harrods

Sees people shopping for designers clothes

Walks out nodding his head... these kids got no taste.

Christer do you seriously think that only kids buy the latest iPhones.... :jecklinsmile:

6. Rob Watts
    You have the BNC cables plugged into the wrong socket - just swap them over.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    onsionsi likes this.
  7. tunes
    So you mean just swap BNC 3 and BNC 4 on the back of DAVE?? Same result if I just flip the cables on BNC out sockets on the HMS?!

8. simorag
    As Rob already pointed out, you are enjoying the full 1M taps when DAVE displays 705.6kHz. It will display 705.6kHz when you play 44.1, 88.2, 176.4, 352.8kHz and DSD files and you will get 768kHz for 48, 96, 192, 384kHz ones.

The smallest and cheapest way I am aware of for doing this is by using a Chromecast Audio device in combination with Roon, and controlling the playback from your smartphone.

Here is what you would need:
    - a NAS or a computer where your music is stored, and where the Roon "core" is installed;
    - Roon. Note that Roon is not a streaming service, but mostly a library manager and music player app. It is expensive (119USD/year or 499USD lifetime), but in my opinion it's worth every penny, because it provides an user experience which is unmatched by any other audio application I know;
    - a Chromecast Audio device (30USD). They have been discontinued recently (replaced by CC Ultra, with HDMI out instead of optical out), but you can still find them on some online shops.
    - a smartphone and a wifi network

Here is how to set this up:
    - you plug your Chromecast Audio (CCA) on and connect it via optical to the HMS
    - you download the Google Home app on your smartphone, which automatically finds the CCA and lets you connect it to your wifi (super-easy)
    - you get Roon and install it on both your NAS or computer you use for music storage, and to your smartphone or tablet (the control / music player device)
    - you set-up Roon so to stream from your NAS to your CCA, which is recognized as a "Roon endpoint"

With this set-up in place, you can stream from your local music storage, play YouTube videos / music, connect to online streaming services (Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, …), play internet radio services to your M Scaler by using your smartphone or tablet for all of this.
    I have this in use at my place and I am very happy with it, as it complements my expensive Innuos music server very well.

Main limitations are:
    - CCA does not support high-res files above 96kHz, therefore it does not match your requirement here:
    - when playing videos, the delay between the audio and video with the HMS (even in video mode) is significant, and can be annoying depending on the content

Siz., Amberlamps and Uncle Monty like this.
  9. Uncle Monty
    Seems some manufacturers are forcing us to buy Roon whether we want it or not.

10. Triode User
    Generally there are other cheaper controlling solutions which can be used with these devices but people (including me) are willing to pay for Roon becasue it is so much better than the other options.

11. tunes
    So just to be clear, I reconfigured so that :
    BNC 1 on HMS to BNC 3 on Dave
    BNC 2 on HMS to BNC 4 on Dave

I hope this is correct now! Thanks

12. Triode User
    Yes (and I've just checked and that is how I have it). If you have any lingering doubts, just see if you have the pass through option working and if you do, all is conneced up correctly.

13. Uncle Monty
    It's annoying because I just know I'll end up taking a lifetime subscription at some point.

14. MaggotBrain

15. Triode User
    Yes, that is what I did. I just had to weigh up which was longer, my lifetime or Roon's lifetime!

Ragnar-BY, Rob Watts and Uncle Monty like this.
First

Back
375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384
386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395
Next

Last