1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, Jul 25, 2018.
First

Back
374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383
385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394
Next

Last
  1. Uncle Monty
    I don't really need Roon as my headphone set-up is self-contained and Ive no interest in streaming music to anything else - it's not clear whether some servers require you to use Roon as an interface / music organiser and because I'm not streaming I'd like to avoid this if possible. Somebody needs to produce a comparison sheet with all the servers / streamers in order to narrow down the choice.

About 5yrs ago I was using an iPod with a pair of Sennheiser HD380s and had no idea about the world of headphone amps or high-end DAPs - I was completely lost and bewildered by the breadth of choice - I feel exactly the same now I have discovered the parallel universe of music servers and streamers....

2. STR-1
    Just to be clear, I was talking about the AK380 being used only as a transport when connected to the M Scaler via optical. It isn’t quite so good when connected via usb. And its built-in dac is nowhere near as good as the chord dacs, which of course take over when the dap is connected to them.

3. Whazzzup
    Roon core is used in antipodes, whether you stream or not, I don’t. It’s bit perfect dsp can be utilized or not, for amazing results. Aurylic uses its own software as an example, with mixed reviews. One should embrace roon core if its offered.

4. Uncle Monty
    Is Roon Core free?

5. Whazzzup
    no there is a yearly subscription, i went for a lifetime membership. if one gets a quality server i figure we are in it for the long haul.

6. Uncle Monty
    Someone on here reckoned the 380 made a great transport because of its high quality clock. I don't really understand the technical stuff but cutting down on jitter and electric noise seems to be the aim with all these servers.

7. Uncle Monty
    So, if I got the Antipodes CX or EX (or both!! maybe not...) I'd need to buy a Room subscription to use it?

8. Whazzzup
    yes.

9. onlychild

Oh yeah, I understand.

I was in the market to spend about $5k on a server and was eyeing the Innuos Zenith Mk3 to feed my mscaler but I love hearing that the AK daps (I’ve owned and sold several models and love them) can sound as good or better as a transport (optical out) compared to USB out of a dedicated $5k server.

Plus I’m one that can hear the difference between a stock and upgraded power cords so having to buy one less expensive PC for the server is another positive for the AK dap as a transport.

10. jarnopp
    Rob has stated his DACs are immune from jitter, it’s the electrical noise and RFI that you would most likely be looking to eliminate. While some folks say they can hear differences, I’m pretty happy sticking with optical and bit perfect transmission, which theoretically should provide a perfect bitstream with no noise for dac or mScaler. If you get a server, unless you are playing very hi-res music, I’d look for optical output.

Deftone and Siz. like this.
  11. Uncle Monty
    Using optical - one hifi store said I should dump optical for USB and I've noticed many servers are USB only - very happy with optical and MScaler and will stick with it.

apmusson likes this.
  12. rkt31
    experimented extensively from usb to coaxial to optical for Hugo 2 and mojo and finally settled for optical . currently using xduoo x10t ( transport only version 1) for Hugo 2 and xduoo x10 ( not t and regular dap) optical out to mojo. I would optical is most natural and smooth sounding. only for higher than 192khz I use usb input.

Deftone likes this.
  13. Triode User
    The optical cable isolation only works as far as the the end of the optical cable ie at the Mscaler and there are plenty of opportunities from there onwards for RF noise to be introduced into system. For instance I have mentioned wifi routers. Do not let your guard down just because you are using an optical cable into the MScaler. For instance if possible move routers to the other end of the house and use ethernet to the server. I have a 20m ethernet cable to my Zenith server.

Also with good house keeping and a low noise server I think that usb can be as good as optical.

Amberlamps and jarnopp like this.
  14. Deftone
    +++++1

15. tunes
    Just got
    My HMS and have a few questions.

1: does it matter which of the two dual BNC cables from HMS go to BNC input 2 and which to input 4 on the DAVE?

2. What is the function of DX up down buttons?
    What do the different colors on the DC orbs represent?

3. If I send 44.1 KHZ through optical to HMS, DAVE displays D BNC3 705.6 kHz. Is this upssmpling fully with the 1 million taps? Why doesn’t it display max of 768 kHz? Is the max up sampling dependent on optical in vs USB in from source?

4. What does the DX OP button do? It seems to turn on DX Up down orbs.

Sorry for stupid questions but the manual wasn’t clear to me.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
First

Back
374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383
385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394
Next

Last