Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 5, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #3,901 of 18,412
Christer is that guy who goes to Selfridges and then complains he couldn’t find the stairs to the second floor and goes home unhappy

:ksc75smile:
Hmm so you think asking for a printed users manual to be supplied with a toy costing a small fortune is asking for too much?
I haven't been to Selfridges for many years .But I had a close look at old Cargills from the mid 19th century in Colombo last week.
And lo and behold, I found the second floor entirely on my own.
Cheers Controversial Christer

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #3,902 of 18,412
I found that using the coax spdif input on blu2 sounds marginally better than USB on the same Auralic streamer
Strange but.... i like the spdif input more on blu and also on Dave ....
Did anyone else find the same ?

Better in what sense?

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #3,904 of 18,412
Ah, interesting. Less glare could indicate less RF noise from your source on spdif.

But have you used the normal advised trick of ferrites on the Dual BNC cables from the Blu2?

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #3,905 of 18,412
Except it’s the same exact source

The AURALiC Aries got spdif output And USB output

Haven’t tried the ferrites.... but seems the usb input has some correlated noise due to the nature of the usb receiver XMOS chip in the Dave modulating on the ground plane ? by that I mean there is an extra XMOS processor with USB but not there on SPDIF...?

Hope Rob Watts can comment

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #3,906 of 18,412
But why not consider that the Auralic Aries usb output might have more RF noise on it than the spdif output? Sure they come from the same box but that is not the same as being exactly the same.

You seem willing to consider that the inputs on the Dave will treat the signal differently but not that the Aries could do the same on its outputs.

But you mention the inputs on the Dave, I thought you were talking about the inputs on the Blu2.

Do try high frequency ferrites on the Dual BNC cables for Blu2, as many as you can fit on the cables. It will be a revelation. (Yes I know this is the HMS thread but he brought up the Blu2).

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #3,908 of 18,412
Thanks for the link!
But a printed one to look at while using would have come in handy I think.
Cheers Controversial Christer
I did not get a manual for the HMS, but did get one for the Dave. In that case they clearly had just printed off the PDF and but the pages in a binder. I would not have missed it if it had not been there, on-line version is fine.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #3,909 of 18,412
Yes indeed could be the Auralic streamer which has a linear power supply

I’ll try again with a MacBook Pro on battery

You have roused my interest though because I also have an Aries so I will try to repeat your results.

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #3,910 of 18,412
I’ve also used a google chrome cast audio with optical out vs my windows laptop on battery

The windows is an old laptop with a flickering screen so can’t know for sure but the Chromecast sounded much better same as the Auralic less glare and more musical

Dec 5, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #3,914 of 18,412
Yep, the live one with the amazing Vince Mendoza has just appeared. Splendid.

. . . . . but my plaintive voice at the back again saying I much prefer the Live in Berlin 2 CD set (I cannot find a Hi Res download version)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back