Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 27, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #3,586 of 18,412
I can confirm that sometimes I also don't notice the change when going down. But I notice very easily when going back up. But maybe this is just a psychological effect, as the m scaler brings me in that "enjoying music mood" and when you throw just any music no matter the source at me when i am in that "state" :D I find it just super musical(even out of my smartphone speaker :D). But that effect goes away after a few minutes and then I have to go back to the m scaler to enjoy music again. So ... yeah I think it's just that our mood is playing tricks with us.

It’s good to hear that I’m not the only one who finds it difficult to detect passthrough, but I guess most people won’t ever be using passthrough mode.
I just found it weird and wondered, since changing down sounded the same, was I ever getting to listen to a million taps in the first place.

But looking back, I can say that I was getting the entire experience. I’m starting to think that me not listening to classical music may hamper my mscaler experience ? Also some people are saying that the mscaler sounds much better on chords better dacs, dave, tt and tt2 etc, so fingers crossed I experience it much more.

It’s obvious that the mscaler works, if anything, it’s probably me being the wrong person to notice such fine changes in music due to my dodgy hearing, well, it’s good for 12-14khz, tinnitus in both ears ate the rest of it. :frowning2:

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #3,587 of 18,412
Hi,

Can i just ask is it normal that when you wobble the Dual BNC Cables M Scaler end it loses connection for a split second no problem Dac end wobbling dual BNC?

Mines does, I think it’s caused by the two metal bnc connectors touching each other or coming so close that they basically are touching. I put a piece of plastic inbetween the bnc cable connectors that are on hugos end.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #3,589 of 18,412
Hi,

Can i just ask is it normal that when you wobble the Dual BNC Cables M Scaler end it loses connection for a split second no problem Dac end wobbling dual BNC?
I have experienced this with my own Dave as well as another one.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #3,592 of 18,412
It’s good to hear that I’m not the only one who finds it difficult to detect passthrough, but I guess most people won’t ever be using passthrough mode.
I just found it weird and wondered, since changing down sounded the same, was I ever getting to listen to a million taps in the first place.

But looking back, I can say that I was getting the entire experience. I’m starting to think that me not listening to classical music may hamper my mscaler experience ? Also some people are saying that the mscaler sounds much better on chords better dacs, dave, tt and tt2 etc, so fingers crossed I experience it much more.

It’s obvious that the mscaler works, if anything, it’s probably me being the wrong person to notice such fine changes in music due to my dodgy hearing, well, it’s good for 12-14khz, tinnitus in both ears ate the rest of it. :frowning2:
I find it works well on a variety of music, especially if well recorded and mixed. For example, I was just listening to the B-52s Rock Lobster and Lou Reed Walk on the Wild Side, both benefit from the M-Scaler. I don't think it needs young hearing, my 58 year old ears can detect the difference just fine. Also, I have had tinnitus my whole life and it does not get in the way.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #3,593 of 18,412
Hi,

It depends on what you mean by normal. Normal in the sense that others report it? Then, yes. Normal as in do I get it? Then, no. I have two Daves and no matter how hard I yank the BNC connectors or cables on the Dave (or MScaler) I get rock solid connection and with no pops. I personally think this is a function of the quality of the BNC connectors used on the cable that you are using but this is just a guess.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #3,594 of 18,412
It depends on what you mean by normal. Normal in the sense that others report it? Then, yes. Normal as in do I get it? Then, no. I have two Daves and no matter how hard I yank the BNC connectors or cables on the Dave (or MScaler) I get rock solid connection and with no pops. I personally think this is a function of the quality of the BNC connectors used on the cable that you are using but this is just a guess.
Yes i think you are correct in that it is the BNC Connectors on the cables,i had these made as well not to expensive but from a known brand.

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #3,595 of 18,412
When I upgraded my Hugo 1 to Hugo TT several years ago I part exchanged with Fanthorpes who gave me £1000 trade in (Hugo 1 was retailing for £1400 at the time). Obviously I can't predict what they would offer as a trade in price for your Hugo 2 all I would say is they are very fair on trade ins as well as nice (and professional) people to deal with. In case any one's wondering I don't work for or am in any way associated with Fanthorpes!

Nintronics offer very high trade in value for hugo2.

OK. Thank you both. I thought initially that trade in prices would reflect the store wanting to make some profit too. I guess I was asking too.

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #3,596 of 18,412
I find it works well on a variety of music, especially if well recorded and mixed. For example, I was just listening to the B-52s Rock Lobster and Lou Reed Walk on the Wild Side, both benefit from the M-Scaler. I don't think it needs young hearing, my 58 year old ears can detect the difference just fine. Also, I have had tinnitus my whole life and it does not get in the way.

Good to hear.

I think what got me was the fact that I had all but stopped listening to Hugo for months, july or so when I bought my headphones. I had been using iem’s with mojo and poly since then. I then jumped onto Hugo, Mscaler and my HD800S. I think that has caused me some problems. I think I should of got used to hugo again before adding the mscaler.

There was times where I thought that this sounds magic, just last week I had that feeling, as I had not listened to anything for a few days and when I started listening, I thought wow, this is excellent.

Then I wanted to see the difference that the mscaler brings to the table, so I tried switching between 1 million taps and passthrough, and I will be truthful and say that I could not hear any difference, and that bothered me as I thought that it should of been obvious, but apparently not.

Now that basically everyone has said that it’s very hard to hear the difference, or they can’t hear a difference, that has reassured me that my setup is correct, and my hugo and mscaler is ok.

I will still do the hugo stand alone test, and the hugo and mscaler test. Me and another hugo / mscaler owner have lined up tomorrow night to do some testing, but judging by some of the posts here, it looks like everything is as it should be :)

From now on I will just leave my white balls alone.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #3,597 of 18,412
I listen to classical (mostly large-scale), contemporary Jazz, (progressive/alternative/independent) Rock, electronica... The M Scaler effect is rather independent of the genre.

Yes, I agree completely. It is genre independent. I listen to many genres, from classical music, old/contemporary jazz, to pop, electronica etc. etc. and the effect is quite unexpected. It is recording/source-dependent across genres. When your recording is good enough, the M-Scaled version can really hit you by increased soundstage and reality, the perceived depth of instruments and singers is often nicely shaped in space, you may get a picture that is very three-dimensional... It is like going from 2D to 3D space sometimes...

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #3,598 of 18,412
What I find mind-boggling how fast each and every time this thread gets rushed by fear that the m scaler is flawed.
I always like to even better my experience with the Chord products although I am 99% happy without it, but that doesn't mean that I'm not happy with the product. For example the discussion about the lengths of bnc cables brought me closer to the sound I always dreamed of. I bought a very short cable because I thought that's just more practical, but after this discussion I tried the 1m cable provided by Chord and wow, already a big difference (yes big... when you get so close to 100% everything matters imo). So I ordered a 2m although this is completely unpractical :D but this is what I want: as close as possible to perfection.
But to make a point here: the m scaler is absolutely awesome and I am so glad that Rob has invented this baby. There is nothing else on this planet that does this kind of magic when it comes to reproduction of digitally stored music. For the first time ever I like to listen to piano, before (yes to also with the Hugo 2) it was just not realistic enough.
Oh where I'm at it: just everything gets so much more realistic AND musical I tell you :D
I'm convinced since the Hugo 1 that Rob is discovering something really special and it got better with each and every tap, oh boy does his wta filters sound good.
So please keep the negativity down a bit. Let's enjoy the music and help each other out to reach 100% :D
Does the 2m sounds better? There should always be a point of diminishing return, or the sweet point. I just wonder what it is.

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #3,599 of 18,412
Instead of pass through, try taking the HMS out of the system (ie completely disconnect it and power it down). Then connect your DAC direct to the source. Do you get the same subtle difference or is there a bigger difference?

But with pass through you should hear the difference quickly, if you disconnect the Mscaler thats quite a while to forget the sound even just a couple of minutes. Rob said its very easy to hear the difference it brings to any chord dac. Or did you mean use the scaler for a while and then disconnect to see if youd still enjoy the chord dac in the same way?

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #3,600 of 18,412
It’s good to hear that I’m not the only one, and I’m in no shape or form attacking the mscaler or Rob and Chords work, I’m just curious asto why the pass through mode doesn’t sound different from the 1 million taps mode. Or if it does sound different it’s very hard to detect.

When I first read about the mscaler and how in blu mk ii it made music come alive, I was hooked, I read review after review and when Chord mentioned that they were releasing one, I jumped on the bandwagon.

I was originally going to buy TT2 first, but the fact that I could get better than dave sound with an mscaler and my hugo 2, I was smitten.

When I can be bothered I will test hugo on it’s own, and again with the mscaler in the loop. Hopefully when I try hugo on it’s own, hopefully it will become more obvious that the mscaler is doing alot of processing, however, if thats the case, whats up with pass through ?

I’m pleased that I’m not the only one who has noticed this, as it lends credence to the passthrough problem not being an isolated case.

No doubt we will figure it out and get back up and running.

I dont blame you for commenting on this, its a lot of money for it to be, as you say, hard to detect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back