HUGE PROBLEM with a recent transaction: escalation on PayPal, please help.
Mar 31, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #16 of 65
In my opinion, the buyer should have sent the amp back to you ASAP.
You should then have a reasonable amount of time to inspect and assess the equipment before you issue a refund to ensure that the buyer has not sabotaged the equipment.

Just my 2 cents worth...

On private sales of vintage items that don't have a warranty on them anymore I don't think I can or should have a return policy.

Both fair points. I didn't know it was a vintage item.  That really is unfortunate, then.

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #17 of 65
In my opinion, the buyer should have sent the amp back to you ASAP.
You should then have a reasonable amount of time to inspect and assess the equipment before you issue a refund to ensure that the buyer has not sabotaged the equipment.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Exactly...

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #18 of 65
Personally I would refuse the package wwhen you get it, refuse to refund anything and warn paypal that if they persist in asking you to refund the buyer you will press charges against them. You are not a shop or a professional seller and this transaction was made in good faith on both parties, there is no way the law can work against you in this case. Its clear that the guy wasnt satisfied with the sound quality and is now trying to cut his losses (hes now selling the only stax headphones he owns, im guessing electrostatics disappointed him) and you shouldnt have to get screwed over because he doesnt know what he wants.

Refuse the package, dont make a refund, warn paypal you wont be puahed around and let HIM take you to court if hes not satisfied. Im willing to bet that amp will show up in the classifieds (and described as fully operational) within the week.

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #19 of 65
Personally I would refuse the package wwhen you get it, refuse to refund anything and warn paypal that if they persist in asking you to refund the buyer you will press charges against them. You are not a shop or a professional seller and this transaction was made in good faith on both parties, there is no way the law can work against you in this case. Its clear that the guy wasnt satisfied with the sound quality and is now trying to cut his losses (hes now selling the only stax headphones he owns, im guessing electrostatics disappointed him) and you shouldnt have to get screwed over because he doesnt know what he wants.

Refuse the package, dont make a refund, warn paypal you wont be puahed around and let HIM take you to court if hes not satisfied. Im willing to bet that amp will show up in the classifieds (and described as fully operational) within the week.

He wants to upgrade to the SR-007s, so he doesn't seem to be too disappointed with stats.
I'll think about your suggestions, thank you for trying to help me.

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #20 of 65
I hope it works out for you. Please keep us updated so that if the guy is found to have screwed you over hopefully the staff can ban him and prevent this kind of people from abusing the good faith of those of us who use the classifieds to get (and give) great deals on great gear.

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #21 of 65
He wants to upgrade to the SR-007s, so he doesn't seem to be too disappointed with stats.
I'll think about your suggestions, thank you for trying to help me.

So he wants to upgrade to SR-007...... Sounds like he wanted to take yours for a test drive to get his feet wet...:rolleyes:

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #22 of 65
Apparently the buyer called PayPal yesterday. Don't know what he told them, but that seems to have sped up the whole process. Usually claims take a lot more time to be resolved, at least more than a day. I thought about doing the same (calling them), but I was too busy yesterday and PayPal sided with the buyer before I had time to take further steps. When I found the confirmation mail from Head-fi about his positive feedback it was already too late.

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #23 of 65
  Apparently the buyer called PayPal yesterday. Don't know what he told them, but that seems to have sped up the whole process. Usually claims take a lot more time to be resolved, at least more than a day. I thought about doing the same (calling them), but I was too busy yesterday and PayPal sided with the buyer before I had time to take further steps. When I found the confirmation mail from Head-fi about his positive feedback it was already too late.

So wait, now your money is gone?
Is here some kind of blacklist you can put his name on?
Wow this really sucks for you.. Don't really know what to say, it's just every head-fiers nightmare. Lets hope it's just an april fools joke, but I think it isn't..

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #24 of 65

Call PayPal, complain, tell them you have the positive feedback and that it proves that the amp worked just fine for the 3 days he had it.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #25 of 65
  So wait, now your money is gone?
Is here some kind of blacklist you can put his name on?
Wow this really sucks for you.. Don't really know what to say, it's just every head-fiers nightmare. Lets hope it's just an april fools joke, but I think it isn't..

We are now at the point where he has to send the amp back to me. He provided a tracking number that both PayPal and I can see. When the amp is here, I have to confirm that I received it and then he gets the refund.
If the amp never arrives, he won't receive the refund. Same thing if it's a different item. But what could very well be the case is that I receive a seriously damaged amp - which matches his claim. PayPal sided with him, which means my evidence (pictures etc.) didn't matter to them and they thought his claims were justifided. If the amp is now broken, PayPal won't give a damn about that.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #26 of 65
Keep in mind PayPal has a tendency to just side with the buyer because that's where the money comes from, no matter the evidence provided. They know very well that most sellers won't fight too much and will, as you are, feel like it's a hopeless battle. It's not, and you have rights. PayPal won't care if his claims are indeed justified or not - what they want is to resolve the matter as quickly as possible because in the meantime, they are the ones refunding the money. Siding with the buyer means the matter is resolved more quickly, but it doesn't mean you don't have a case. PayPal is a private company, not a legal entity.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #27 of 65

We are now at the point where he has to send the amp back to me. He provided a tracking number that both PayPal and I can see. When the amp is here, I have to confirm that I received it and then he gets the refund.
If the amp never arrives, he won't receive the refund. Same thing if it's a different item. But what could very well be the case is that I receive a seriously damaged amp - which matches his claim. PayPal sided with him, which means my evidence (pictures etc.) didn't matter to them and they thought his claims were justifided. If the amp is now broken, PayPal won't give a damn about that.

I just really hope here sends something else, or nothing at all, or when you take it to a local repair shop they say 'this has been done on purpose' or anything.
I really wish that you don't have to give the refund, we're talking about a pretty big sum of money, right?
Sorry I'm not being helpful or anything, I just hope the best for you.

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #28 of 65
  I just really hope here sends something else, or nothing at all, or when you take it to a local repair shop they say 'this has been done on purpose' or anything.
I really wish that you don't have to give the refund, we're talking about a pretty big sum of money, right?
Sorry I'm not being helpful or anything, I just hope the best for you.

"Pretty big" depends on the point of reference. For me as a student it is a substantial ammount of money
frown.gif

Thank you nevertheless for your support!

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #29 of 65

"Pretty big" depends on the point of reference. For me as a student it is a substantial ammount of money
frown.gif

Thank you nevertheless for your support!

Well I find 100 bucks or higher "pretty big" in a trade.. Seeing that it's a Stax Amp, it probably costs a lot.
If here's anything I could do to help you with this situation, tell me :)

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #30 of 65
When the amp is here, I have to confirm that I received it and then he gets the refund.
If the amp never arrives, he won't receive the refund.

This is the only loophole you have available as a seller at this point:

If you refuse the package at the point of delivery (basically anything you can do to prevent the tracking from showing "Delivered", even leaving a note to be regarded by the courier or calling them on the day-of-delivery), then you will get to keep your money. The negative balance will drop off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back