Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
May 4, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #2,371 of 3,643

1) First, let me just say that I'm not trying to stop anyone from owning the Parrots. Just making them aware of what to expect.

2) Sorry but we'll have to agree to disagree on weight.

3) And oh yes, they DO need that app. You cannot just charge them, turn them on and go. You need to fiddle with the app first, depending on what you're listening to.

4) Windows Mobile still has users, however few. And some guy had to develop an independent app for that platform for the Zik 2 and 3.

5) And some other guy had to make an app for Mac because Parrot refused to do so, saying "mobile use mainly". Kind of shortsighted IMO

6) I use my BT sets with my laptops besides mobile, and multipoint would be great

7) And am I sure about iOS displaying the BT battery level in iOS? Well yes, because I OWN AND USE several iOS devices

8) maybe I will be trying the H8 too if the Beoplay battery life is that good.

9) Concerning V-Moda. I wouldn't use them for classical or folk either. I'm just saying that if someone wants bass, these are a good option. They do sound acceptable to me

10) I test using my own music and videos that I listen to, so yes, it's subjective

11) I just know V-Modas are a viable alternative. Maybe not my first choice either, but I think they need to be considered.

I was at work and just answered shortly but wanted to clarify some points better now.
And I will use the numbered list because it is more organised, I say it in case you or anybody would feel it as aggressive. Considering the latest trend of misunderstandings on this thread I feel I need to be overly clear.

1) thanks for explaining your intentions, although I had gotten them correctly. Expressing one's opinions to help people making the right choice is the main aim of this thread, it's good that you want to do that. It is the same that I do when I reply to your opinion with my opinion. It's meant to give people more opinion and reach a better objectivity. I kind of said this a few times already. Should be now clear.

2) Why is everybody obsessed with having to agree? Why should people either have the same opinion or just shut up? The essence of life is diversity. Having different opinions is wonderful and desirable. No need to agree, not even to "agree to disagree". Everybody please just say what (s)he thinks, honestly and transparently. As far as nobody says "what the f@ck are you saying you ID-OT" all is ok.
Now, back on track, which part of "no problem for me if they are heavy for you. But it's not objective" felt not reasonable to you?
I though I had left it clear that I find it wonderful if you tell people that the Zik feels heavy TO YOU. This helps people knowing the POSSIBILITY that somebody COULD feel the Zik as heavy.
But when you say "they ARE heavy" you are not helping people, you are misleading them with a subjective feeling expressed objectively.

3) can you make an example of why you feel that you need to use the App EACH time you use the Zik 2? I definitely CAN just charge them, turn them on and go.

4) I see the frustration of Windows Phone owners who really want exactly THIS headphone and cannot get its max potential. I do not understand this decision of Parrot and I also find it questionable. The only reason I can think about is that developing an App for Windows Phones must cost them more than what they suppose they can gain by winning some more customers.
But this does not make of the Zik a bad headphone or a useless headphone in general for everybody. It makes of them a HP which owners of Window Phones may want to avoid. Plain and simple. Saying more is saying too much.
And as you like the CFW, what about the frustration of those who really want THAT HP (ie for its look) and must live with its inferior sound on ANY device other than Apple? And actually only a part of Apple's users can get the max potential of the CFW, the people with an iPhone 6 or a MAC which supports AAC+.
What about the Sony MDR-1ABT and MDR-100ABN, two of the best BT Headphones on the planet in this moment, which imo sound wonderfully with Aptx already, but which supposedly can only reach their max potential (Hi-Res with LDAC) with an Xperia Z5 or the last Walkman?
What about the Samsung Level On Pro which uses the UHQ-BT codec, supposedly similar to Sony's LDAC, and which is only supported by some Samsung Smartphones?
Or the Momentum Wireless, Class 1, wonderful. There is anyway not one single device on the planet which support Class 1. Only the new coming soon Avantree Leaf BT Adapter (which I have ideated).
Or the few Aptx Low Latency HPs. They need an Aptx LL transmitter. No PC, Mac, Smartphone or iPhone can. Only a few BT adapters.
Or, the WONDERFUL, amazing, spectacular XTZ Headphone Divine, maybe the best On Ear BT Headphone on the planet. IF you use it with the App or with the Desktop Software which applies the Dirac corrections. And in this case the App must be running. You cannot just setup the sound and then use the HP wherever you want.
With the Zik you CAN.
Yes, for sure it would be better if the Zik would sound as good without App as they do with the App, and if the App would be needed only for extra stuff.
But I think that there are enough people in this world who own an iPhone or iPad or Android Phone/Tablet, and will be able to enjoy the Zik fully. Many more people than those who in this moment can enjoy the CFW fully, for example.

5) yeah, I also wished an App for Windows a lot. Not anymore for the listening, because as said I only need to setup them ONCE and then I never again change the settings. So I never again need the App, and I can use them with PC with the sound I have setup on the App.
But as a tester/reviewer I find very problematic that to test them with and without ANC and Hall, I need to disconnect them from the BT adapter (I test on PC) and connect them to the Phone. Horrible.

6) I was not saying it is useless. I would also be happy to have it although I do not really need it, and I know many people feel they absolutely NEED it.
I was only saying that the lack of Multipoint is more a subjective lack, not an objective one, because not everybody needs that feature or care about it.

7) we seem to have communication problems. Seems Sonic 2 the revenge.
I have asked something different. I did not ask if you are sure that the iPhone shows a battery level. I suppose you are not hallucinating. I have only asked if you are 100% sure they are showing the REAL or just a guessed battery level. Considering that each headphone has a different battery life, for the iPhone to show the exact battery level of the connected device there should be some communication between iPhone and other device. I have not said this is impossible. I have only said I find it hard to believe because sounds sci-fi to me. But I do not know much of iPhones, so I have asked you for more details. Why is everybody so touchy here lately? Guys take it easy... We are just talking here.

8) maybe, but you may want to get informed about their sound. It is very much different than the H7.

9) yes, their bass is good at moderated volume. Quite uncontrolled and not really pleasant (to me) at max volume. Anyway they can get very loud so the max vol is not often needed.
I also find their sound more than acceptable, for quite a few kind of different music genres.

10) well, it is always subjective, do not worry. Nobody can be really perfectly objective. Because nobody is an object. We all are subjects.
Important is only to separate the "more or less objective" from the "mostly subjective" aspects.

11) yes I support this claim. I have only said that they do not sound as good with acoustic music as they do with Rock and EDM, so that the need to consider them is mostly relative to the personal musical preferences.

May 4, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #2,372 of 3,643
Originally Posted by RHMMMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only other BT headphone device I have are my gym Powerbeats2 Wireless, so they obviously win in sound quality over those, but fail in water and sweat resistance :)

Overall, I like the sound - it's crisp and detailed. I'm going to avoid describing or rating the sound since that kind of thing can get very subjective and lead to flame wars.

Side note: I've seen a lot of talk on this thread about the H8 having bad Bluetooth performance. It seems they have released a 2nd Gen H8 with revised BT, per the BeoPlay Twitter account. Reference: https://twitter.com/beoplay/status/722678247666880513

the Monster iSport and Roc HPs are even washable under water.
Their sound is not as balanced and refined as the H7 but they have a nicely dynamic, engaging sound which goes very well with quite some music for what I can say.

I must insist, gently but insist, for some more detail on your personal subjective impressions of their sound, and with which kind of music could you test them till now, and which music you enjoy the most and which the least on them.
Occasional flames may occur but shall NEVER be a reason to stop transparently and bravely and uncensoredly express one's opinion.
Otherwise this thread will be useless bla bla and I will just let it fall into the oblivion and move somewhere else.
We are here to interchange our opinions, no matter how different they can be, for our and of our silent readers' benefit.
Please do not deny us your valuable opinion.

Thanks for the info. Sounds promising.

May 4, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #2,373 of 3,643
Fair enough on number 2.

For number 3, I find that I often have to change the sound signature. I listen to different genres or spoken word and I cannot seem to get a good sound or preset that is a "one-size-fits-all". The only time I can leave the app alone is if I have similar listening habits the next day. I did see some one-size presets recommended by two Parrot users on their forum, I may look into those. This is more of an issue on the Zik 2 than 1, strangely enough. But I'm finding myself just grabbing other headphones that do have a good all around signature without fiddling. 

4. Well to be fair, I do only own the wired Crossfades. The site says the wireless sound is based on the M-100, which are great on all devices. If they had said Crossfade LP then I would have not recommended them because people say LPs are muddy. If there's indeed a sound or BT problem on Android or other platforms as the other person said above, then I'll have to leave that issue until I can test the wireless for myself.

7. I'm sorry I misunderstood you.
frown.gif

I think that the percentages are estimates, except for the Apple Watch. That device for sure is accurate. I think a lot of other devices go down in 10% increments. The only item that I worry is truly inaccurate is the H7 because it never seems to go down, except maybe once. But the headphone never shut off and indeed goes through to the next day. So I'm not sure what's going on there with battery percentage. I just charge every other day.

8. I did hear about the heavy bass. I'm going to get them from a place I can return just in case.

Thank you for the discussion!

May 4, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #2,374 of 3,643
  the Monster iSport and Roc HPs are even washable under water.
Their sound is not as balanced and refined as the H7 but they have a nicely dynamic, engaging sound which goes very well with quite some music for what I can say.

I must insist, gently but insist, for some more detail on your personal subjective impressions of their sound, and with which kind of music could you test them till now, and which music you enjoy the most and which the least on them.
Occasional flames may occur but shall NEVER be a reason to stop transparently and bravely and uncensoredly express one's opinion.
Otherwise this thread will be useless bla bla and I will just let it fall into the oblivion and move somewhere else.
We are here to interchange our opinions, no matter how different they can be, for our and of our silent readers' benefit.
Please do not deny us your valuable opinion.

Thanks for the info. Sounds promising.

OK, here you go.

The H7's are Bluetooth and I'm using them with an iPhone 6s Plus, so I assume I'm using the AAC codec? They're obviously limited by that, the fact that they have an internal DAC and amp, too. I tried them with the included cable (I don't have a better one lying around) straight into the iPhone and things sounded more "full" but after switching back to BT mode, I kind of prefer the BT mode sound on them more as it was less boomy(?). I feel like when cabled, someone had pressed a "loudness" button. I don't intend on using them cabled, ever, unless in a pinch and the batteries run out or I go broke and have to sell off my other sets of headphones, so I don't care. I'd describe what I hear from BT mode on the H7's as crisp and detailed with a decent reproduction of the full range of frequencies I'd expect for a set of headphones in this category and price range to reproduce. 

There's nothing mind blowing here, but I don't feel cheated out of money, in the end. To compare with what I have, they're closer to my Ultrasone ED8's and previous Fostex X00's in sound reproduction than the other headphones I currently have (HD650's) - I wouldn't call them "laid back." They are certainly a bit more forward sounding than relaxed. They are detailed, but lack a bit of the life or "realism" so instead of getting completely lost in the music, I'm reminded at times that I'm listening to speakers aimed at my ears and not "there." Still, considering what they are and that what I'm listening to is probably subject to some kind of codec compression, it's par for the course. All in all, I'm happy and going to keep them. In fact, switching back to my HD650's sounded boring and I'm ready for a change there, so I may even be inspired now to sell those and upgrade to the HD800s for more high freq. detail.

May 4, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #2,375 of 3,643
Originally Posted by DivaFonda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find that I often have to change the sound signature.

If there's indeed a sound or BT problem on Android or other platforms

I did hear about the heavy bass.

Oh I see.
I generally change headphones when I need a different signature, rather than changing EQ setting :)
But this is now that I have many BT Headphones and many of them are enjoyable out of the box with most of the music I listen to.
I have also developed a tolerant or better said a polygamous attitude toward HPs and Sound Signatures. I may have my favourite, but I can enjoy many different ones, and I enjoy how each ones interprets the same song differently. So, more than adapting them to my tastes I adapt my tastes to them and I enjoy their different personalities.
I know this is a common thing here on Head-Fi, but I say it because it is new for me.
In the past I was just using the WS99BT which I enjoy with all music out of the box, although I was anyway tuning them with one general EQ setting.
I have never used different presets for different music, although I have eventually increased the bass for EDM and even more for Dubstep.

Anyway if the only reason why you need the App all the time is the EQ, I would not consider this a limiting factor which should be considered objectively negative for the Zik. I ignore which players you use, but as far as I know the best players on iPhone, Android, Windows and Mac, and even the best streaming services, have a good EQ.
For example on Android I use Neutron, which comes with a powerful 10 bands full parametric and fully customizable EQ.
On Windows I use Foobar, where I can use many different addons so I have many different kind of EQ.
I personally would make a general preset on the App, just to tune the Zik to my ears, a generic tuning which can bring them as close as possible to enjoyable with most music, and then I would do the rest with the EQ of the player.

Personally I do not use the EQ of the App at all, because I find their sound out of the box ok as a base, specially on the 3 which have a little more bass and a little less highs. I am not sure if they are also more clean and transparent or if it is just the tuning which gives this impression (I opt for this second guess).

What I do, I activate the ANC because I feel it makes the sound more alive, and because there is some kind of conflict between the Zik and the BT adapter I use for my tests. So that there is just no sound coming out of the Zik when connected to this BT Adapter, unless the ANC is on.
The other thing I do with the App is activating the Hall effect (small room, 120°). I do this not because I particularly enjoy this effect (which on the small room is anyway subtle and feels soon natural), but because I feel the highs of the Zik (the 3 a bit, the 2 a lot) quite harsh and sometimes sibilant too. Indeed, the 2 without Hall are form me almost unbearable on many of the 66 tracks I am using to test headphones now.
The quality of the sound of the Zik is quite direct, present, impulsive, and generally biting and overall a bit harsh. With Hall the harshness is gone. The sound is a bit rounder and smoother albeit still quite direct.
For example, without Hall for me the Zik are absolutely useless for Jazz and Classical. Even worse than the CFW.
With Hall they are quite enjoyable on those genres too. And definitely more than the CFW.

About the CFW, there is no "problem". It's just that they do not support Aptx, and their sound with SBC is not that good. I could not test them with AAC or AAC+, but I have read people saying they sound noticeably better with AAC (I ignore if they talk of the normal or of the AAC+).
Thinking it well, I am realizing just now that the Zik 2 and 3 are supposed to have the AAC too. So they should sound better with iPhone than they did with my BT adapter.
But it's too late to get an iPhone for the tests, I sent them back already. I'll try to do this in another moment and in the while I will warn about the possibility that they could maybe sound better with AAC.

@ruthieandjohn, did you try your Zik 2 with SBC and with AAC and could you notice any difference?

About the H8, I do like their sound. I for example enjoy them a lot more than the H7 with EDM.
They also change sound quite a bit with or without ANC. Almost like if it was a bass boost effect. So that you should keep this in mind when testing them in the shop.

May 4, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #2,376 of 3,643

You either had a VERY defect WS99BT or you were EQing them, and very wrongly.
The WS99BT are a lot more balanced and neutral in the bass than the BBP. No possible doubt and not a matter of tastes, just pure and simple objectivity which could be measured with a Dummy Head.
So I need to know exactly how did you A/B BBP and WS99BT.
Out of the box or EQ? Which EQ, Which player, which settings, which music, which volume?
Did you use stock or HM5 pads on the WS?

Having prejudices/concerns about the SQ of some HP just because they are On Ear???
You even said the Soundlink were good.
On Ear do NOT sound worse than Over Ear.
Some On Ear even have much better soundstage than some Over Ear.
It depends on tastes but from what you say I believe the XTZ are for you, IF you will use them with the App of even better with the PC software.
Which source will you use? Music on your device or stream?

Please define resonant and thumping.
For me for example resonant is negative.
I call resonant a not controlled bass which invades the neighbour frequencies and/or which breaks thhe illusion of the soundstage by filling an unnatural portion of space, making you feel that the bass is being played by headphones, not by a real instrument.
Thumping is not clear to me.

The XTZ sound exctly how you describe what you want. WITH the App.
The Marshall are warmer, less highs, still good ones.
I loved the Marshall on Dire Straits Money for Nothing. Just amazing.

I find the XTZ a more universal headphone. The Marshall is more for Rock.

The Marshall are a bit more comfortable on the long term but the XTZ are ok, anyway it is also a subjective thing, Impossible to say.
But you have 60 days money back on the XTZ.

The other ones sound so deeply different from each other that I wonder how did you assemble he list.

Maybe I did have a defective pair of WS99BT or in fact EQed them poorly. The way I compared was to listen to both headphones without EQ, but using Poweramp, which is my preferred player, then with the EQ setting I typically use for the BBP, then adjusting the EQ for the WS99BT to find an enjoyable sound. You're so keen on the WS99BT that I was surprised to have such a different reaction.
I used the stock pads. I was aware of the possible benefit of using the HM5 pads, but with my terrible experience it just didn't make sense to spend even more money. With the sound I was getting, I couldn't imagine simply changing the pads would have made much difference.

I don't think I have any prejudices about on-ear HPs, I was just under the impression that I couldn't expect the same degree of isolation. As for comfort, I listed 3 pairs of on-ear HPs and one of the 3 was comfortable enough. Bose was the comfortable pair, and comfort is one of the aspects they are known for. There was actually a 4th pair, the Creative Labs WP380, which I forgot to list and were just as painful to wear as the other three. But I'm here to learn--happy to know that on-ear can offer better soundstage than some over-ear. I'm open to all possibilities, just want to minimize the chances of getting another uncomfortable set.

You mention the XTZ and Marshall as being good options. I will be using them with music physically stored on the device. I don't stream. I believe you use Android--how are your experiences with the XTZ Android app? From what I read previously (from you, I think), they were unable to use Dirac for their Android app. I don't know anything about Dirac, it's just a name to me, but it was one of the selling points they've used in their ad copy. So to go without it in Android...just curious.

When I used the word resonant, I was thinking of bass that sounds full and detailed. But yes, I think I used the wrong word.

As for the way I assembled the list--I only compiled a list of HPs that had received good reviews, were in my price range, and had good battery life. Nothing clinical about it. If the headphones I listed are so very different, I feel that's something I can't know unless I listen to them. 

The Parrot Zik 2.0 or 3 are also intriguing. As long as I buy a second battery. Generally speaking though, because of the inconsistent behavior I've had from the controls and features of the BBP, I'm a little turned off by equipment that has so many bells and whistles. It just feels like more things to go wrong.

Also, the Parrot and XTZ seem to rely heavily on their app. Do you feel this is a positive or a negative? Neither? Part of me thinks that this approach indicates a mediocre headphone that is enhanced only when using the proprietary app. I'm quite happy with Poweramp (aside from one small issue) and not sure I want to play music from either of these company's own apps. But I'm eager to hear about other users experiences with the apps.
  Since you're using an Android device, DO NOT GET THE CFW. Your concern over the lack of aptX is valid. With my old iPhone, they sounded great over Bluetooth. When I got my Galaxy S7, yuck. Music wasn't clear anymore, everything got muddy.

I've posted about the Momentums here and in the dedicated Momentum 2 thread. I love the sound when I listen indoors, but am having BT reception issues outdoors. This seems like an issue only some people are having. I'm sending them to Sennheiser and we'll see what happens.

I did notice the AKG Y50BTs were on sale at Harman's website for $119. Tempting to get those just in case the Momentums end up not working out. But I do prefer an over-ear fit, I ride the train and sit next to people at work. I don't want to worry about annoying people with my music.

Thank you for the heads-up about the CFW as well as the Momentum outdoor issues.

May 4, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #2,377 of 3,643
What I do not understand is that you say overwhelming.
I can well accept that somebody may prefer the kind of bass of the BBP or Fidelio or whatever, than of the WS.
But it is just not possible to me to imagine how could the bass of the WS be considered more unbalanced and boosted than the BBP.
Specially with the stock pads. Because actually the HM5 increase the bass a bit, making it a little bit boomier too. While with stock pads the bass is so balanced that I was disappointed the first time I have used the WS. I was disappointed because I was used to Fidelio and BBP which are much more boosted, more "overwhelming", more unnatural.
And from a Solid Bass HP I was expecting more bass, but I had less.
Actually the WS are the headphones which started keening me toward a more balanced sound than the one I was used too with Fidelio and BBP.

Now, the bass is anyway, besides less boosted, also different.
With stock pads and no bur-in, you may have noticed some warmth in the low-mids and upper bass, which you may have not been used too with the colder BBP.
Maybe this is what made you feel them wrong.

I am just supposing.

Do you by chance remember which EQ setting did you use and which music?
I am not trying to prove anything, I am just trying to understand your process, so I can give better suggestions in the future.

May 4, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #2,378 of 3,643
without having to read bazillions of posts, is there any general consensus on any models proving to have very good or better audio as a Bt headphone?

I'm totally fine with cables, but being cableless does have it's attractiveness.  :) 

May 4, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #2,379 of 3,643
  What I do not understand is that you say overwhelming.
I can well accept that somebody may prefer the kind of bass of the BBP or Fidelio or whatever, than of the WS.
But it is just not possible to me to imagine how could the bass of the WS be considered more unbalanced and boosted than the BBP.
Specially with the stock pads. Because actually the HM5 increase the bass a bit, making it a little bit boomier too. While with stock pads the bass is so balanced that I was disappointed the first time I have used the WS. I was disappointed because I was used to Fidelio and BBP which are much more boosted, more "overwhelming", more unnatural.
And from a Solid Bass HP I was expecting more bass, but I had less.
Actually the WS are the headphones which started keening me toward a more balanced sound than the one I was used too with Fidelio and BBP.

Now, the bass is anyway, besides less boosted, also different.
With stock pads and no bur-in, you may have noticed some warmth in the low-mids and upper bass, which you may have not been used too with the colder BBP.
Maybe this is what made you feel them wrong.

I am just supposing.

Do you by chance remember which EQ setting did you use and which music?
I am not trying to prove anything, I am just trying to understand your process, so I can give better suggestions in the future.

Hmm, no. I don't have those EQ settings anymore. But I had used the EQ to attempt to drastically lower the bass, which was already, to my ears, obnoxious out of the box without EQ. The last record I remember trying out with the WS was Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw. And to my memory, the song that sounded worst was "Hot Knife". 
When I listened to the WS I thought, oh, there is no way anyone could enjoy these headphones! It seemed like a joke. A $10 pair of junk made by some fly-by-night company. I had gotten them for $225 on Amazon, from a third party seller named A-Grade. I will absolutely consider the possibility that they were defective or, hell, maybe even a knock-off. But I do stand by my previous statement that the bass sounded so bloated, unnatural and sloppy that I honestly could not even make out the instruments. Just a fairly literal "thumping", "banging" sound, as if the treble had been turned all the way down, and the bass turned all the way up. Similar to using one of those, IMO, useless presets on Poweramp such as "Bass Extreme", which I certainly was not using.
Have you ever had a blown speaker? I had a blown speaker once, and aside from the crackling sounds, it emitted little more than a scratchy sounding bass "whack", or "thump". It was similar to that. Or put on a pair of headphones, then hit the outside of the ear cups with your palm. Just smack it. It actually sounded like that too.
But I will also not claim to have 'golden ears' and admit to feeling like i'm fumbling around when it comes to EQ settings. I've read that the best approach is to start with a "flat" setting, then subtract instead of adding. Sometimes this works for me, sometimes it doesn't. If that approach results in lower volume, I try to compensate by increasing the preamp, after increasing the volume on the device and headphones. This will sometimes produce distortion, so I prefer to leave the preamp at its default setting or lower. I do have a nice home stereo setup, which to my ears, delivers sound that seems natural and quite enjoyable, and I try to replicate that with HPs. This could also be the root of my occasional complaints of a narrower soundstage with headphones.

May 4, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #2,381 of 3,643

@ruthieandjohn, did you try your Zik 2 with SBC and with AAC and could you notice any difference?

I only used them with the AAC... I in fact don't know if there is a way to switch between SBC and AAC - I think that the Zik 2.0 defaults to AAC if possible (i.e., Apple source), then uses SBC if not.

By the way, it is interesting to hear the view that the Parrot Zik 3.0 sounds different (better) than the 2.0!  I thought that the differences were only in styling, perhaps some bluetooth subtlies that I didn't care about (e.g., multipoint), but nothing that would affect the sound.  Now I am curious about the 3.0!

May 5, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #2,383 of 3,643
  without having to read bazillions of posts, is there any general consensus on any models proving to have very good or better audio as a Bt headphone?

you do not need to read billions of posts, but you need to start asking better question.
This one has got no answer. And if you would have read at least ONE post, the first one, you would know why.

Originally Posted by headcoatman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will absolutely consider the possibility that they were defective or, hell, maybe even a knock-off. But I do stand by my previous statement that the bass sounded so bloated, unnatural and sloppy that I honestly could not even make out the instruments. Just a fairly literal "thumping", "banging" sound, as if the treble had been turned all the way down, and the bass turned all the way up. Similar to using one of those, IMO, useless presets on Poweramp such as "Bass Extreme", which I certainly was not using.

I am 200% sure your unit was either defective or a fake.
Hey, come on, do you REALLY think they could ever get to the N°1 on my list with the sound you are describing?
I do am a basshead, but not a dumbhead.
And what you describe is absolutely NOT how the WS99BT sound. No way.
And I have tried 3 units! So...
But thanks for explaining, now at least I understand better what happened there.
I was suspecting there must have been something wrong.
Now I am just sure.

Quote:
  I only used them with the AAC... I in fact don't know if there is a way to switch between SBC and AAC

well, if you use them with an iPhone or MAC, and then with an Android phone or PC, you will be switching between AAC and SBC.
Did you notice harsh and sibilant highs on the Zik2, if no EQ and no Hall are used?
The 3 sounds very similar and very different. Just testing a song like The valley of the three white horses of Andrew Bird will be like day on the 2 and night on the 3.
It may be just a little less highs and a little more bass, but this immediately changes the feeling/atmosphere, the light/colour, the perceived space. And the harshness too.
There are other improvements. One which may not be worth upgrading but it is imo worth the choice of the 3 over the 2 is the different power button, convex on the 2, concave on the 3. So you do not turn them on and off by mistake anymore, which happened a lot of times to me. I also have the impression that the touch controls work better on the 3, turning volume down/up is much smoother and precise.
Also, although you can charge them both while listening to music, on the 2 there is a noise when they are charging. On the 3 there is not. Actually, can you do this test? Turn the 2 on, connect it to some device, and then connect it to some usb charger or notebook via usb, and tell me if, with paused music or very quiet music, you can hear a noise when the usb is plugged.
Then, other minor differences too. And a big one which now I do not remember, a supposed big improvement on the 3, one of the highlights.

I think im canceling sony 100abn off my list. Read alot of pages and reviews

and what exactly did those lot of pages say to convince you cancelling the best BT headphone which Sony ever made and one of the best on the market right now?

BTW, if money were no object I'd be trying out the Master & Dynamic MW60. But $550, my god.

That is what the H8 and Momentum M2AEBT were costing at their launch.
And none of them offers this build and premium materials.
The sound, well, depends on what one wants, as the MW60 have a quite warm signature.

May 5, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #2,384 of 3,643
you do not need to read billions of posts, but you need to start asking better question.
This one has got no answer. And if you would have read at least ONE post, the first one, you would know why.

well, if you use them with an iPhone or MAC, and then with an Android phone or PC, you will be switching between AAC and SBC.
Did you notice harsh and sibilant highs on the Zik2, if no EQ and no Hall are used?
The 3 sounds very similar and very different. Just testing a song like The valley of the three white horses of Andrew Bird will be like day on the 2 and night on the 3.
It may be just a little less highs and a little more bass, but this immediately changes the feeling/atmosphere, the light/colour, the perceived space. And the harshness too.
There are other improvements. One which may not be worth upgrading but it is imo worth the choice of the 3 over the 2 is the different power button, convex on the 2, concave on the 3. So you do not turn them on and off by mistake anymore, which happened a lot of times to me. I also have the impression that the touch controls work better on the 3, turning volume down/up is much smoother and precise.
Also, although you can charge them both while listening to music, on the 2 there is a noise when they are charging. On the 3 there is not. Actually, can you do this test? Turn the 2 on, connect it to some device, and then connect it to some usb charger or notebook via usb, and tell me if, with paused music or very quiet music, you can hear a noise when the usb is plugged.
Then, other minor differences too. And a big one which now I do not remember, a supposed big improvement on the 3, one of the highlights.

and what exactly did those lot of pages say to convince you cancelling the best BT headphone which Sony ever made and one of the best on the market right now?

That is what the H8 and Momentum M2AEBT were costing at their launch.
And none of them offers this build and premium materials.
The sound, well, depends on what one wants, as the MW60 have a quite warm signature.
Not that i dont beleive they sound great, but hoping the sr5bt provides greater value at $200 than sony @$350. Looking for good tight bass, mids that are not too recessed, and detailed/accurate imaging and soundstage

Ps....always been a AT fan, love there sound in general. While i love Sony daps and ps4, i havent really enjoyed there headphones/iems in general {only tried couple, but probably 8~10 pair of AT, which all offered great value at there pricepoints}

May 5, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #2,385 of 3,643
No need to quote my whole post :)
People with smartphone would appreciate.

You'll need to a/b them.
I very strongly disagree with taking them off from the list.
One of the most detailed and transparent BT headphones on the market, the first Sony with a tight controlled bass, very fine and elegant sound, a bit digital, not too emotional.
Image, separation and soundstage some of the best around. You'll struggle to get anything similar from other BT headphones.
They have few to do with the new at, how are you possibly comparing them? Different format, different functions, different color/temperature if the sound, different atmosphere, A.T. bright and open and fresh, Sony more intimate, somehow dark, not negatively meant, just as a quality of light of their space.

You definitely should ab.

Other options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back