Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Oct 5, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #1,486 of 3,643
  I'm hoping to see the V-moda compared the popular BT headphones soon.

Here are my initial impressions of the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless (CFW).

It sounds pretty darn good plugged in. Slightly V-shaped. Connected via Bluetooth it sounds dark, smoothed over, compressed. Treble lacks a bit of the sparkle it has while plugged in. Makes FLAC files sound like fairly low-res MP3s, which is to be expected given the lack of aptX support. I was hopeful that AAC(+) would address the issues I’ve had with SBC, but either my devices aren’t using AAC (LG G3 and Surface Pro 3), or my hope was unfounded.

Many are saying the CFW is more neutral than the M-100s, but the mids still seem a bit recessed to me.

Comfort is okay with stock pads, fairly good with XL pads. Not exceptional with either, but not really complaint-worthy either way.

Even when plugged in and with the XL pads (which are said to help widen the soundstage), the soundstage feels a bit constricted considering the price. I prefer the sound with the standard pads.

I’ve never really been bothered by Bluetooth hiss on other high-end headphones I’ve tried (all with aptX support), but it is definitely noticeable here. It is very distracting when listening to quiet instrumental music.

All these perceptions of the CFW are perhaps colored by my current daily driver, the Sony MDR-1ABT. While I do think the ABT sounds a bit smoothed over at times, I significantly prefer its separation and texture over the CFW. The ABT also has a wider soundstage, and is slightly more comfortable. The sound from the CFW just sounds flat compared to the ABT.

When it comes to the physical properties, the CFW seem very well made. They feel quite sturdy, and I like the on/off slider, even if it is a bit stiff. The play/pause and volume buttons don’t quite click enough for my liking, and there’s some rubbing noise as I’m pressing them, but that’s fairly nit-picky.

I usually listen to music at low volume levels on the headphone and with the volume on the device on max. This makes it easier to control the volume in just one place. However, the lowest volume increment before silent on the CFW is fairly loud compared to other headphones. Don’t get me wrong, it’s fairly quiet, but it’s weird to me that it goes straight from a clearly listenable volume to silent.

Overall, these sound pretty darn good, but not nearly as good to me as the Sony MDR-1ABT, and they are slightly less comfortable.

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #1,487 of 3,643
I am glad to see that this thread can live perfectly well without me :)

Sorry guys, I was away a long time without internet, and then I had an "unfortunate" (or for me fortunate) chain of events, like exams, sickness, and job, so that I could not take care of here.
In the while, when I was without Internet so long, I have realized how much time does Internet and all these supposed "social" media take away from us.
So I have deleted my facebook, and I have avoided logging again here, because, well, I had spent the 90% of my free time for 6 months in these comparisons..., something I cannot afford now, so I did not want to open the "Pandora Box" again :)

But, I had to say hello.
So, here I am: HELLO!!!

Sorry for not answering, I see I have lot of PM and I suppose also lot of quotes here.
I will not answer soon :)
But you did it well without me and can keep doing well and better. Which was my aim!
This is YOUR thread!
The fact that I am one of the few having tested 40 BT Headphones does not necessarily mean I am the best one to help you out.
As far as you find people who tested all the headphones you are interested in, that is all what you need!

So, that's it.
I am not quitting, I will keep testing and comparing, but I'm not going to be able to be here "real time" like before.
And I am happy to see that this is not really needed!

Cheers!

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #1,488 of 3,643
@giogio, for me at least, this will Always be your thread, just like Einstein developed his Theory of Relativity. Even though both you and he had to step away from those inventions, they will be forever associated with you (and him).

Note that his headphones are Bluetooth.

Oct 11, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,490 of 3,643

Yes, I noticed. Good to see that mr. Einstein already knows this wonderful technology! 
smily_headphones1.gif

But welcome back Giogio! Just relax en post some info on nice sounding headphones if you want to.

In the meantime I hope you all can help me out with choosing a bluetooth headphone. The last two months I have tested a few ones: Philips fidelio M1BT, Plantronics Backbeat Pro, Supertooth Freedom and AKG Y45. The Plantronics I liked the best, nice bass, good (allthough somewhat pronounced) highs but the sound seems somewhat processed. I was not always a clean sound, and the mids seemed a bit recessed. The Supertooth is good for the money but clearly a love a bitt more bass. The Philips, what shall I say: warm sounding but clamping and really I missed the Bass. 
After I sent the Plantronics back I tried the AKG. I liked the design, and that it has less weight. But then the sound. It is warm, with a good bass (especially synthesizer songs shine on these) but the mids are quite shrill, especially voices, even with some equalization. For me a good example was the song Luka by Suzanne Vega. In other songs (for example The chain by Fleedwood mac I missed some sparkle and openness. And in a bit complex songs like Big sur by The thrills I missed detail.

I'm a bit confused now. My good old Koss PortaPro is sounding better than these four bluetooth headphones (ok, the blackbeat is a good competitor). But I still want a cordless headphone. I have three options:

Harman kardon BT: The cheapest option, needs definitely equalization I read. But maybee it fits me?
Sony MDR-1RBT MK2: Seems very good cans
Audio Technica ATH-WS99BT: The favorite of Giogio and others. Can be modded, and seems a good choice.

I was thinking about buying the Audio technica ans Sony's, and sell the ones that fit me less. Can you advise me?

Oct 11, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,491 of 3,643
I was even thinking about buying the Audio technica ans Sony's, and sell the ons that fit me less. Can you advise me?

I knew I would have been immediately trapped in the answering process.
This thread is a time devouring machine!

So, I can, as always, only speak of what I've personally tested, so, no Sony for me.

HK: if you say the Fidelio have not enough bass you will NOT be satisfied with the HK. They do NOT lack bass, but have less than Fidelio.
And the general sound was, in my experience, not more satisfying than the Fidelio. Maybe a bit warmer, but also more flat. They were also not much more comfortable. Although they are over ear, and the clamping is not much, they are flat and the ears touch the drivers.

Fidelio M2BT: they go deeper in the bass but have same quantity. If you like the Backbeat more than the M1BT, then you want more bass, rather than deeper. So, I would not consider the M2BT, but I name them "just in case", so you know there is a slight chance.
They are a bit more 3D and the pads are slightly softer on long term (memory foam) although the clamping is the same.

Beoplay H8: the bass is more boosted than the Fidelio and deeper than the Backbeat, a nice middle way. Their highs are more or less like Fidelio, clear, but a bit harsh. Imo inferior to Backbeat. And they sound a bit more forward than the Backbeat (less soundstage). Somehow warmer.

ATH-WS99BT: you seem to have read enough so you should know, they have out of the box less bass than Backbeat but you can push their bass with EQ much more than you can with the Backbeat. The Backbeat start eating other frequencies sooner. And the ATH can get louder, which has an effect on the perceived power of the bass.
So, when I need easy bass I like the Backbeat, but when I have to listen to evil stuff I definitely always take the AHT and crank their bass up (bass/up, did you see what I did there?). Their are, well, I have posted a picture here already, the baby with the evil look.
And yes, you can mod them with change of earpads and I can name three which you can find from where you live, so write me if you go for them.

About the Sony, not yet tried (I was and am very much busy), but if I remember well somebody here said that the new 1ABT are better, and a bit more bassy. And you can get them in Amazon (while you do not find the 1RBTMK2 if not as Import, with problems in case of return).

This means you have here 2 which you can buy on Amazon and eventually send back if not satisfied. Amazon rocks, I always prefer Amazon if I can, their support is also excellent.
Personally, if you have enough money to invest for 30 days, I would buy two or the three of them. As you know, I always suggest to buy at least two, because only by comparing side by side you understand headphones.

Then, well, you should ask guys about the Denon. I remember people saying they were bassy. But you need to find somebody who compared them with the Plantronics or the 1ABT...

My question here to the other guys would be:
what came out in the last months, while I was away?
I am only aware of the new Over Ear Bose which look very promising, and the new On Ear Plantronics, same.
Anybody tried them?
And, anything else new?

Oct 11, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #1,492 of 3,643

I note that you are the same genius as always.
But, how the hell did you get to stumbling towards enlightenment? I did 7 years of yoga and meditation and am not even remotely close to that :)

Oct 11, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #1,493 of 3,643
Just FYI Sennheiser has started shipping the rev02 version of the momentum wireless (be sure to check the model number underneath the box) and they should now become more and more available... From my first two days I can confirm that the connectivity issues no longer exist... Rocksolid performance.... :)

2c883eee849e00d5061e26988218788b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #1,494 of 3,643
That IS good news! (I am reverse quoting Master Oogway of Kung Fu Panda, but only the elected ones who have watched it 30 times like I did, will know exactly which part of the movie I refer to).
Do you know if this is valid for the On Ear version too?

I absolutely loved the Momentum Over Ear!
I was very sad having to send them back for the bass was not on par with the AHT.
On other aspects the Momentum were imo superior to the ATH. Or at least complementary, because they are different, and well, I would have use them for different music.
The Momentum imo cannot do so well aggressive music. It is a lady headphone, meaning not a headphone for ladies, but a princess, refined, elegant, soft sounding.
It does not lack bass at all. Just, I need more :D

Did you notice any difference in the sound? I wonder if Sennheiser just opened each headphone and changed the BT chip, or if they did all from zero (I do not know which of the two would have been cheaper) and eventually improved the drivers too.

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #1,495 of 3,643
That IS good news! (I am reverse quoting Master Oogway of Kung Fu Panda, but only the elected ones who have watched it 30 times like I did, will know exactly which part of the movie I refer to).
Do you know if this is valid for the On Ear version too?

I absolutely loved the Momentum Over Ear!
I was very sad having to send them back for the bass was not on par with the AHT.
On other aspects the Momentum were imo superior to the ATH. Or at least complementary, because they are different, and well, I would have use them for different music.
The Momentum imo cannot do so well aggressive music. It is a lady headphone, meaning not a headphone for ladies, but a princess, refined, elegant, soft sounding.

It does not lack bass at all. Just, I need more :D

Did you notice any difference in the sound? I wonder if Sennheiser just opened each headphone and changed the BT chip, or if they did all from zero (I do not know which of the two would have been cheaper) and eventually improved the drivers too.

Hi Gio,

Great to see you back in action! As you know I am not much into Bluetooth headphones but I recently got my hands on the not yet released V-Moda Crossfade wireless and I really liked what I hear. Soundquality was top and they work absolutely fab as wired headphones too. The best V-Modas I have heard so far and I am planning on getting a pair once they are released.

Cheers,
Ralf

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #1,496 of 3,643
  Sony MDR-1RBT MK2: Seems very good cans
Audio Technica ATH-WS99BT: The favorite of Giogio and others. Can be modded, and seems a good choice.

I was even thinking about buying the Audio technica ans Sony's, and sell the ons that fit me less. Can you advise me?

My experience:

1) had a Sony MDR-1RBT MK2
Comfortable, good mid end punch, awesome voice clarity but no real bass especially the sub bass extension..In some tracks you know theres a bass line coming but you wont hear it in this headphone..gave it to my uncle..

2) Bought Philips M2BT
Good sub bass, but its on-ear headphone, getting them comfortably sit on correct position on your ear is tricky, especially if you have larger ears, if you slightly misplace it a few mm you wont hear the bass at all, not as comfortable as over ear so returned it..

3) ATH WS99BT
The King of bluetooth headphone I would say, has more than everything..monstrous bass response, clarity and it will respond to any kind of equalization..I use Viper4Android and the output from this headphone is speechless, It slightly lacks the sub bass rumble but if you turn on the (dynamic bass system) in viper it fills the gap..it details clearly at any volume levels without mudding anything..I have bought HM5 leather earpads and it fits comfortably..
Thanks to this man giogio for his advice..

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #1,497 of 3,643
Originally Posted by Giogio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My question here to the other guys would be:
what came out in the last months, while I was away?
I am only aware of the new Over Ear Bose which look very promising, and the new On Ear Plantronics, same.
Anybody tried them?
And, anything else new?

Welcome back!

As mentioned already the Momentum Wireless has been re released and early reports seem to indicate that the problem has been fixed. Hasn't been completely smooth sailing though with some people getting sent the old model and others (supposedly) getting sent the new model but in the REV01 box. Not everyone on the Momentum thread appears to believe Sennheiser's response re the box though.

Coming up soon along with the new Bose, Plantronics and V-Moda already mentioned are the Pendulumic Tach which seems to be getting pretty close and the Onkyo W800BT which appear to be the first fully wireless in ear headphones released by a big name brand (theres some on kickstarter as well I believe). The list doesn't look as high end as earlier in the year so far but theres still plenty of time for big announcements before CES.

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,498 of 3,643

Welcome back!

As mentioned already the Momentum Wireless has been re released and early reports seem to indicate that the problem has been fixed. Hasn't been completely smooth sailing though with some people getting sent the old model and others (supposedly) getting sent the new model but in the REV01 box. Not everyone on the Momentum thread appears to believe Sennheiser's response re the box though.

Coming up soon along with the new Bose, Plantronics and V-Moda already mentioned are the Pendulumic Tach which seems to be getting pretty close and the Onkyo W800BT which appear to be the first fully wireless in ear headphones released by a big name brand (theres some on kickstarter as well I believe). The list doesn't look as high end as earlier in the year so far but theres still plenty of time for big announcements before CES.

I returned my pair of Bose SoundLink II - was not impressed with them.

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,499 of 3,643
Hello

I planned to buy the the ATH WS99BT and looked for more information on it online and after some research
i found that it's battery last only 6-8 hours???
If someone could clarify this it would be very halpefull.

Thans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back