Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Apr 7, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #616 of 3,643
To celebrate my promotion to 500+ Head-Fi'er and to meet the many requests received (directly or indirectly) I have created a new Thread specifically dedicated to ANC Bluetooth Headphones.
This thread will STILL include ANC ones because here we concentrate mostly on the sound. So, comparisons of ANC with no ANC Bluetooth headphones must be posted here.
But comparisons of ANC models should be posted in the new thread, unless you do not care at all about the ANC and only want to compare their sound.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #617 of 3,643
Ok, my entry here is comparing two sets of Sennheiser BT headphones - the Urbanite XL wireless and the Momentum 2 over-ear wireless.  Currently undecided between both (been posting on the Momentum M2 thread).  Hope the below is of interest.

First off, both have a pretty poor BT signal range in my experience.  l exchanged the M2 once, and have bought the Urbanites and signal issues are the same.  I am using a Sony Xperia Z3 compact.  Files are all uncompressed FLAC files.  Also used with a 2013 MacBook Air.  Both sources use the Apt-X codec on BT signals.  With either of the Sennheiser headphones (M2 or Urbanites), signal breaks up and stutters badly if I have the Xperia phone in my pocket.  No issue with connection to laptop. Signal works well enough at home, though range seems quite weak.  Others have not had this experience with BT stuttering, but can only share mine.   I know that BT performance can be better than this, as have been using some Sony MBR-10RBT headphones with my Xperia compact without any signal issues at all, no matter where I carry my phone.  Could it be linked to the BT 4.0 profile, as the Sony's are BT 3.0? Are Sennheiser throttling the power of the BT signal to give better battery life?

Anyway, on to impressions of both sets of headphones.

Momentum M2 wireless (over ear)
First, the Momentum M2s.  These really look good, whether in ivory or black (had both, and preferred the ivory).  Beautifully constructed with leather and stainless steel, lightweight and beautiful, soft ear cups made of leather and memory foam.  The headband adjustment is excellent - no ratchets here, but a lovely slider on the ear cups to the stainless steel headband.  They are also supplied in a cloth carry pouch and nice leather-style carry case, into which they fold for easier storage. They come with a wire for making a non-BT connection, a micro-USB charging cable and an airline adapter    How do they sound?  Well, that's not an easy question to answer.  First, when it works, BT performance is pretty stunning. It is tied to Sennhesier's active noise cancelling, which is always on when using the BT connection.  At home, this works so very well.  Apart from a slight hiss, presence of ANC is not obvious, except in reducing ambient noise.  Seems pretty good, but I'm more concerned on commenting on the sound of the M2s.  These are a very lively sound signature - not at all flat or monitor like.  My overriding sense is of warmth and richness.  Bass (not my thing) seems tight, impactful and warm.  Treble seems to have some sparkle and sheen to it - hence sense of excitement, and the midrange is best described as lush - hence this is a strange mix of warmth and speed, but certainly not uncoloured. Seems to project certain midrange material forward -e.g. voices, and bring them out of the mix. Given that these are portable phones, this is probably good news.  It is the best sounding BT performance I could imagine - no obvious artefacts in the sound. Really does suggest that the apt-x codec works well and Sennheiser has done some wonderful work here.

Wired performance, to my ears, was more of a mixed bag.  Bass (upper bass particularly) seemed to be richer and to bleed a little into the mid-range.  Top end seemed a bit more open even.  This is wired, without any ANC.  The wired connection lead  does not have a mic or remote - those functions only available in BT mode, using a rocker button on the right hand earpiece.  I assume this is a limitation of the headphone socket, otherwise Sennhesier would have supplied an inline remote and mic like they do with the wired M2s. It is also possible to turn ANC on with the wired connection - this seems to make the sound signature closer to the BT performance.  In all modes, sound staging seemed pretty good - wider than the headphones, but depth was harder to judge, possibly because the voicing emphasises certain details in recordings.  So, a pretty good listen.  Did not check microphone performance in voice dialling.

Now, my major concern is the ANC.  I used it on public transport (a bus) and found that, to my ears, it seems to introduce some pitchy sounds to music playback.  It was almost like a warbling on tracks.  Quite distracting. This is an issue for BT, as ANC cannot be turned off - BT and ANC come as an indivisible package.  It could have been the first set of headphones I used - have asked on another thread whether this is something others have experienced, but have not had any comments back yet.  My second set had the same BT performance was the same as the first, and I did not test ANC on public transport with them.  I did not find the wired connection sound balance to my liking without ANC, hence I took the second pair back, as seemed too expensive a headphone to have issues.  So, bought the Urbanities.

Urbanite XL Wireless (over ear)
So, the Urbanities.  Very different looking headphone that the Momentum - much heavier and bigger (the ear cups are large and round, not as tapered as the M2s) but not too big or too heavy.  They have a similar headphone adjustment to the M2s - made of metal, though the ear cups are plastic.  They also fold up. Uses a fabric foam cover on the ear pieces and what looks like silicon on the denim look headband.  It's different, but still very well put together and I find them very comfortable on my ears. No carry case - just a thin, cloth bag, and he supplied accessories include a wired cable and micro-usb charging cable.

The Urbanites sound good. Duller than the M2s,  but not as dark or recessed as some online reviewers suggest.  Closer to classic Sennheiser sound signature (warm, with rolled off treble and solid midrange),  but with slight lower bass emphasis and it appears a touch of zip in the upper treble (not completely rolled off).  Certainly not a club tuned headphone,  whatever the promotional materials say.  BT performance is hiss free and clear, but same issues as M2 above re: stuttering with Xperia phone in pocket.  It is still an excellent performance for a wireless headphone.  Bass has good heft and impact, but I'm not a bass-head or EQ user.  Does not rumble my skull, but clearly present.  Soundstage is good for closed back headphone - laterally and in a sense of depth.  Seem, surprisingly, to be well suited to most musical genres - consistent performance across the board.  No ANC, but passive NC from close fit of headphones is good.   Control of headphones is via a touch sensitive panel on the right earpiece.  Tapping for function controls (e.g. one tap play/pause, two taps next track, etc) or sliding up or down for volume.  Seems quite responsive, but also quite hit and miss - sometimes does not register double tap, for example.  This could just be getting used to it, though, and the area of the touch pad is quite small.

The wired connection is worth mentioning, as it contains an inline remote button volume slider and microphone.  The cable is rubberised, and the remote is twisted in the cable so that it sits off the right ear piece, which means it does not collide with clothing as easily (a nice touch). Thus, the supplied wire can control tracks and make calls without using BT (unlike the M2s).  Sound quality improves with the wired connection too.  The bass hits tighter and there appears to more delicacy and detail in the treble.  Mids also seem a little less warm.  It's not a night and day difference, but it is there, and it more a ringing endorsement of the basic quality of the BT signal that the difference is not vast.  This is a headphone to be enjoyed wired or wireless.

M2 vs Urbanite?

I now face a tough decision.  Whether to keep the Urbanite, or send it back and get the M2.  The Urbanite is no slouch, but the M2 performance is richer and certainly more open and airy.  Ironically, though, I'd suggest its sound signature is more obviously shaped than the Urbanite, despite the Urbanite being promoted as a 'bass' headphone.  The Urbanite has an emphasis low down, yes, but is actually pretty balanced,  M2 is much more obviously shaped in terms of sound curve, but in a pleasant way.  So, in summary, I suppose despite some added emphasis on bass and some zip in the lower treble, the Urbanites are the more neutrally voiced of the two phones.  The M2s sound cleaner and more transparent, given their voicing.  The Urbanites are closer to a 'classic' Sennheiser sound, though the added bass emphasis is new. The M2 seems to be a slight re-voicing of the original Momentum, particularly in opening up the treble - I did not own the original momentum, but remember on demoing it that it sounded quite laid-back in the treble.  

Anyway, hope these musings are of interest.  I am looking for a travel companion, hence want something that can be BT and wired at the same time, and give decent performance through both.  I tend to carry a bag most days, and if I put my phone in there, have less stuttering issues with BT than when the phone is in my pocket with either Senn headphones.  Both of these are close to what I want - just need to decide between them.  In UK, where I live, M2 wireless is £379, whereas the Urbanite wireless goes for £250.  Neither cheap, but both versatile.  I'm not after a portable monitor - want something that sounds good across most genre and is easy to drive.  At home, I do critical headphone listening through Sennheiser HD700s and HD650s, allied to a Burson headphone amp and Cyrus and Rega hifi system.  Not looking for similar type of performance in my portable life, so one of these is likely to do me well.  Both excellent headphones, though I do wish Sennheiser would do something about the BT signal and stuttering.  There is a suggestion that both can be updated via firmware.  Let's hope this is true.

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #619 of 3,643
Great review i am in the UK as well i have placed an order with amazon..Looking forward to hearing them
let us know :)
But yeah, the best would be if next times you only quote the parts you are answering to, or write @user (where user is to be changed with the nick of the user. The system will give you suggestions while you write the name).

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #620 of 3,643
^ oh, dang! And here I was trying to figure out a way to quote ALL of the hundreds of posts of this thread in my response at once. Are you saying that's not better? :D

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #623 of 3,643
Apr 10, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #625 of 3,643
I've updated the new thread dedicated to ANC Bluetooth headphones, with new models which I didn't even know they existed. I've did some search yesterday night.
And I've discovered that Sony is coming with a new model which seems promising, and will be really around the ear (the old ones were on ear, even if big. Apparently they didn't have much success).
If you have tried any of those (or other) models, you can post your opinion, experience and impressions in that thread.
I'm personally not going to post anything there for now.
Not before somebody else does :wink:

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #626 of 3,643
@Giogio hey sir john joined head fi for a question to you. I want a decent wireless headphone with a good amount of bass and clarity I have tried Fidelio m2bt they were superb but bass was not up to my liking so my question is which one of the headphones should I get from backbeat pro , Sony xb950bt or revo...... Momentum and ur top of list audio technica are not available at my side

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #627 of 3,643
@Giogio I have tried Fidelio m2bt they were superb but bass was not up to my liking so my question is which one of the headphones should I get from backbeat pro , Sony xb950bt or revo...... Momentum and ur top of list audio technica are not available at my side

Hi, welcome to this community :)
I'm surprised that the bass of the Fidelio was not of your liking. It's what i most liked in them.
Can you explain better what exactly in their bass you didn't like, and how do you want the bass to be?
If you've tried other headphones you may tell me how did you like their bass and why.

The Audio Technica are not available here either, but depending on where you live you can buy them online from Japan.
In EU it's difficult because they don't have a CE conformity symbol, but in other Countries this would not be a problem.

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #628 of 3,643
Thanks
Well I am surprised too I want to like them (m2bt) but bass well its a little less for my liking treble a little high I used it with my aptx enabled xperia z ultra no eq I travel a lot in subway they also heat my ears to uncomfortable level.
I have beats wireless (which i hate) wired Bose babies (my fav) Sony xb300 and a lot of in ears well I want my phones to sound a little more like Bose but when I tried m2bt they were no match I mean bass was there clarity even better but something amiss bass was not as exciting as bose I want bass more something tight and mind rattling...

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #629 of 3,643
bass was not as exciting as bose I want bass more something tight and mind rattling...
ok, that was some useful info.
Now i would like to know why you don't use EQ, and if you are willing to use it. You have android, this means you can use Neutron or Poweramp, both having a good eq (different kind of EQ). This could allow you to push the mid bass and upper bass in the Fidelio, which i think it could make the trick for you, as the Fidelio have more low bass and this gives them a wonderful rumble, but you seem more interested in the punch, which they acquire mostly with EQ.
You could also decrease the highs.
Alternatives are the Plantronics Backbeat Pro and the JBL Synchros S400bt, but both of them will need you to decrease the highs, so, if you refuse to use eq, you'll have hard time finding what you want among the BT headphones.

To directly go to something with less highs you should try the House of Marley Liberate XLBT, or the Sony MDR-XB950BT, or the Revo Wireless, or the Bose Soundlink On Ear, or the Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless.
The Liberate has got a punchy bass like you seem to like, with poor rumble. Mids are quite dominant and warm. You should define what you mean with clarity, but i would not use this word to describe the strengths of the Liberate. Besides they have some muddiness in the low mids, which could remind you of the beats (i would like to hear why you don't like them).
The Sony also have some muddiness (almost all Sony have it, but this one particularly). Less warmth in the mids.
The bass is definitely less punchy than the Liberate, but with the Bass Boost button it can become quite powerful (but still not really punchy but mostly boomy).
The Revo have more clarity and more balanced sound than these two (with more highs but not as much as Fidelio, which by the way for me has not got too much highs but a bit sibilance, so a matter of quality, not of quantity, but you can solve it by reducing the highs). Their mids are nice, the bass could be a bit punchier than the Fidelio without EQ, but less after EQ, so, you must decide what to do with the EQ story.
The Bose could be a logic choice if you're used to the Bose sound.
They are fresh, but without too many highs. They're not as warm as the Revo but they still have nice present mids. Their bass is dry and punchy, dryer than the Revo. But i would never say they have more punch than the Fidelio.
The urbanite have slightly rolled off highs present warm mids a bit like the liberate, and a strong punchy bass. They have for my tastes too much low mids, but they don't really sound muddy or muffled. I find them well detailed and i could use clarity to describe them, although not really transparent.

Cheers

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #630 of 3,643
@Giogio thanks for your tremendous input 1st I don't like beats cause it have the boomy bass that's also it take over the high and mids so neither I can enjoy the bass punch nor the vocals (by clarity I means the vocals and instrument music) I know purist don't appreciate Bose very well and I also know Fidelio m2bt is better than my Bose in the pricise sound department I certainly fell it but don't let me offend you as m2bt was ur fav one time I read your review at amazon but I don't find them that much entertaining they are at audiophile level and I am on mere mortal level. I bought them on word of your review and they were everything that u mentioned but again they were not for me..... Okay now on point I set my mind finnaly on backbeat pro and Sony xb950bt which one of them should I go for and for I need good rumble and bass as I mean not boom boom but Thad thad i will use them for 65% music and 35% movies and sitcoms I am all set for the eq business I did not use eq as I never satisfy by one setting and have urge to constantly change them every time hence can't enjoy my music. And one quicky can I use any of them by any chance on a treadmill. And blame the damn auto correct for some mess in the post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back