Huge Comparison of [Almost] All Grado Headphones -- Post Your Own Comparisons Here (thanks, @giogio!)
Nov 19, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #46 of 97
I have not. I do have the GH2, and it has become for me the best sounding of the Gradio on ear headphones, just barely edging out my RS2e. My guess is that it would not become better, with the G Cush, only because they are already so good. However, I think that @joseph69 tried them with G Cush and found that they improved, just as the GH1 did. Maybe he will let us know.

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #47 of 97
thanks a lot for this information.

My question is whether I should buy another Grado as the GS1000i, with which I am very satisfied. I don't find the L-ear pads so comfortable, so it should be G-pads Grado. I already had PS1000, but it was too heavy and uncomfortable for me. I had the GS3000e for a short test (I reported, you maybe remember?). The midrange was a dream but the frequency ends were a bit too suppressed compared to the GS1000i. Now I've come across the GH2 and was wondering if it would still be a good investment for me. But that would only be the case if it also sounded good with the G-pads. Since the GS1000i definitely has weaknesses in the treble, it would be interesting to have a Grado with a very pronounced treble.

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #48 of 97
@ruthieandjohn
Thanks for mentioning me in your post as I wasn't aware this thread existed (unless I chose to unwatch it and don't recall) which I'm now waching.

Now I've come across the GH2 and was wondering if it would still be a good investment for me. But that would only be the case if it also sounded good with the G-pads.
IMHO the GH2 sounds excellent w/G cushions and you shouldn't pass up the opportunity to try them.
I've narrowed my Grado's down to mt RS1i (which I barley use) my 325is (which I only use at my desk) my GH1 & GH2 (which I use exclusively w/Grado G cushions. I also own the Utopia, HE1000v2 & HD800 but find my self reaching for either my GH1 or GH2 quite more often these days.

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #50 of 97
Thank you. How would you judge the differences between GH1 / G and GH2 / G in terms of bass, treble and spatiality?
You're welcome.
The GH1 is more neutral with a slightly larger sound stage, whereas the GH2 is slightly more fun and mid focused.
PS: I've owned my GH1 from their release so they have plenty of hours on them. I recently purchased the GH2 from another member which are in like new condition, but I never inquired about the hours of use. From my experience with Grado's, I'd have to say that the GH2 do not have sufficient burn in and will open up more.

Also, I owned the PS2000e when it came out and it just wasn't for my tastes. I recently had the opportunity to have both, the PS2000e & GS3000e out on loan for almost 2 weeks with intentions of buying one or the other and both had 3-400hrs of burn in. This time around I still felt the same about the PS and liked the GS more but not as much as my GH1, so I passed on both and purchased the GH2 and couldn't be happier.

Nov 21, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #51 of 97
You're welcome.
The GH1 is more neutral with a slightly larger sound stage, whereas the GH2 is slightly more fun and mid focused.
PS: I've owned my GH1 from their release so they have plenty of hours on them. I recently purchased the GH2 from another member which are in like new condition, but I never inquired about the hours of use. From my experience with Grado's, I'd have to say that the GH2 do not have sufficient burn in and will open up more.

Also, I owned the PS2000e when it came out and it just wasn't for my tastes. I recently had the opportunity to have both, the PS2000e & GS3000e out on loan for almost 2 weeks with intentions of buying one or the other and both had 3-400hrs of burn in. This time around I still felt the same about the PS and liked the GS more but not as much as my GH1, so I passed on both and purchased the GH2 and couldn't be happier.

This is important information. Thanks a lot! For me, only a Grado with G ear cushions comes into question because of the comfort. I already had GS1000, PS1000 and now I have GS1000i. I also had GS3000e at home for testing, the mids were a dream, but the frequency ends were missing a bit compared to the GS1000i.

I didn't think it was possible that the smaller models like the GH1 and GH2 with the non-standard Grado G pads could even surpass Grados' cans with standard large G pads. You made me curious now, so I will try a GH2 with G pads.

And with the G pads, the GH2 doesn't lose any of its bass performance or high frequency presence?

Nov 21, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #52 of 97
I didn't think it was possible that the smaller models like the GH1 and GH2 with the non-standard Grado G pads could even surpass Grados' cans with standard large G pads. You made me curious now, so I will try a GH2 with G pads.
And with the G pads, the GH2 doesn't lose any of its bass performance or high frequency presence?
Remember, "surpass" isn't the question, it's preference, and I enjoy what I hear from both the GH1 & GH2 w/G than either, the PS2000e or GS3000e. I'd definitely try the GH series mentioned and listen which you'd prefer for yourself. We all have different hearing, sound preferences, gear and Genre's which all come into play. And no, neither GH model lose their bass w/G cushions too my ears. The bass may be more prominent & forward w/L cushions, but you're not losing of it w/G cushions, but rather it takes on a different presentation which I enjoy.

Nov 22, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #53 of 97
Hi ruthieandjohn,
thank you for your great comparison tests. That really helps with the purchase decision.

Have you ever tried the GH2 with the G crushion? Is there perhaps such a drastic improvement as with the GH1 / G?
I use a G-size copy pads with my GH2 and love it for a more spacious sound, which I prefer with most of the genres I listen to (prog-rock, jazz, fusion, edm, some classical, etc.). I use the L-Cush pads that came with the GH2 for straight ahead rock for a more direct powerful sound.

Glad to hear someone loves the GH2 as much as I do. I've rarely owned 2 Grado's at a time (SR80 > Allesandro MS1 > SR225e > SR325e > GH2). I compared the SR325e with the GH2 for about a week before having no qualms letting go of the SR325e -- the GH2 is a final headphone for me. But then I've never heard a Senn 800s !!

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #54 of 97
I use a G-size copy pads with my GH2 and love it for a more spacious sound, which I prefer with most of the genres I listen to (prog-rock, jazz, fusion, edm, some classical, etc.). I use the L-Cush pads that came with the GH2 for straight ahead rock for a more direct powerful sound.

Glad to hear someone loves the GH2 as much as I do. I've rarely owned 2 Grado's at a time (SR80 > Allesandro MS1 > SR225e > SR325e > GH2). I compared the SR325e with the GH2 for about a week before having no qualms letting go of the SR325e -- the GH2 is a final headphone for me. But then I've never heard a Senn 800s !!

Many thanks for the helpful sound descriptions from joseph69 and you regarding GH2 with and without G pads and in comparison to the large Grados. The bass seems to remain largely unchanged even with GH2/G and of course the sound stage increases with the G pads.

What about the treble? Does it remain largely the same as the bass with the G pads?

@kmhaynes: Believe me, if you heard a Sennheiser you would be disappointed, because the Senns have everything in the sound that Grado doesn't have: Highest possible resolution, analytical sound and a very precise imaging. Just a typical German sound tuning. But what they don't have are the beautiful timbres, the smoothness and warmth in the sound like Grado. I don't feel the sound of the Senns in a natural way but only in an analytical way, just like Beyerdynamic, AKG and Oppo.

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #55 of 97
What about the treble? Does it remain largely the same as the bass with the G pads?
I know this wasn't directed to me, but from my experience the treble largely remains the same unlike using G cushions with a 325is where I found the bass to decrease and the treble to increase to the point that it sounds like a tin can too me.

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #56 of 97
I know this wasn't directed to me, but from my experience the treble largely remains the same unlike using G cushions with a 325is where I found the bass to decrease and the treble to increase to the point that it sounds like a tin can too me.

Thank you, then I will definitely have to order the GH2 with G cushions.

Nov 24, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #58 of 97
Many thanks for the helpful sound descriptions from joseph69 and you regarding GH2 with and without G pads and in comparison to the large Grados. The bass seems to remain largely unchanged even with GH2/G and of course the sound stage increases with the G pads.

@kmhaynes: Believe me, if you heard a Sennheiser you would be disappointed, because the Senns have everything in the sound that Grado doesn't have: Highest possible resolution, analytical sound and a very precise imaging. Just a typical German sound tuning. But what they don't have are the beautiful timbres, the smoothness and warmth in the sound like Grado. I don't feel the sound of the Senns in a natural way but only in an analytical way, just like Beyerdynamic, AKG and Oppo.
With my GH2, the G pads do soften the highs very slightly because of the larger airspace around your ears and distance between your ears and the driver. Probably the same for the mids and upper-mids, just softened a bit, but nothing that I would say drastically changes the sound. I know when I had the SR325e, the G pads softened the highs a bit more, but that is a welcome change because the SR325e with the metal cups can be a bit shrill with EDM, loudness-oriented pop, etc.

About Senn's, I've tried quite a few but not any at or above the 500, and yes, they are fairly boring compared to lively Grado's. The HD-25 is more lively, and closer to Grado than most Sennheisers, but still not a Grado sound. I WOULD like to hear the 800s just to experience it -- I wouldn't buy one though.

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #59 of 97
With my GH2, the G pads do soften the highs very slightly because of the larger airspace around your ears and distance between your ears and the driver. Probably the same for the mids and upper-mids, just softened a bit, but nothing that I would say drastically changes the sound. I know when I had the SR325e, the G pads softened the highs a bit more, but that is a welcome change because the SR325e with the metal cups can be a bit shrill with EDM, loudness-oriented pop, etc.

About Senn's, I've tried quite a few but not any at or above the 500, and yes, they are fairly boring compared to lively Grado's. The HD-25 is more lively, and closer to Grado than most Sennheisers, but still not a Grado sound. I WOULD like to hear the 800s just to experience it -- I wouldn't buy one though.

Thank you again for supporting the impression that, with the G pads, the sound of the GH2 is pushed back a little by the larger space, but is still essentially retained.

I got another new GH2 from a UK dealer. He is supposed to arrive on Thursday. Then at least 100 hours of burn-in time is required. First I'll test it with the L pads, then with the G pads.

Yes, enjoy listening to the HD800, but prepare for the sonic shock. Those who prefer Grado cannot love Sennheiser!

Nov 27, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #60 of 97
Thanks a lot kmhaynes and joseph69!

The GH2 arrived yesterday and I have to say I had never heard a Grado that sounded so good out-of-the-box! Although the GH2 has not played a minute, it immediately fascinates with a very natural midrange (as only Grado can do!), a bass that is very present for Grado standards and a great transparency and stage. And that "only" with the L-cushions (are not as uncomfortable as I remembered, but G cushions have already been ordered). I think that until now I've just always made the mistake of just looking at the top models from Grado ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back