Huge Comparison of [Almost] All Grado Headphones -- Post Your Own Comparisons Here (thanks, @giogio!)
Aug 13, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #31 of 97
I found the GS1000e a bit of a disappointment....even after 400 hours of use, though it continued to improve, it had a bit of turbines in the bass..sort of a one-note resonance that highlighted notes of nearby pitch.. It wasn’t bad enough (after 400 hours) to notice unless you compared to other over-ear Grados, but it was there in such comparisons.

I would much prefer the RS2e to the GS1000e. If you want the comfort of the over-ear Grado, try to find a used GS1000i, or spring for a GS2000e. They are both exquisite (as are the heavier PS1000 and PS2000e).

Hope this helps!

It helps a lot. Unless the RS2e's are a lot heavier or have a much heavier clamping factor than my old SR225's, they should work great for me. Thanks!

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #32 of 97
It helps a lot. Unless the RS2e's are a lot heavier or have a much heavier clamping factor than my old SR225's, they should work great for me. Thanks!

The RS2e is very light weight. The clamping force on all Grado's is easily adjusted by bending the headband... simple but highly effective!... :)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #34 of 97
I found the GS1000e a bit of a disappointment....even after 400 hours of use, though it continued to improve, it had a bit of tubbiness in the bass..sort of a one-note resonance that highlighted notes of nearby pitch.. It wasn’t bad enough (after 400 hours) to notice unless you compared to other over-ear Grados, but it was there in such comparisons.

I would much prefer the RS2e to the GS1000e. If you want the comfort of the over-ear Grado, try to find a used GS1000i, or spring for a GS2000e. They are both exquisite (as are the heavier PS1000 and PS2000e).

Hope this helps!

Lately, some Grado headphones have been added, which you have not yet tested and compared with the other headphones.
Will there be an update soon, for example the GH2 or the Grado The White Edition?
I hope so because you did it very good.

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #36 of 97
Lately, some Grado headphones have been added, which you have not yet tested and compared with the other headphones.
Will there be an update soon, for example the GH2 or the Grado The White Edition?
I hope so because you did it very good.
Thanks! I compared the Grado HF3 and GH2 to the RS2e here. I found the GH2 to be one of my very favorite on-ear Grados, just edging out my prior favorite, the RS2e.

All the Grados that I test, I own. I have very little interest in the white Grado, probably (and unfairly) because I do not care for the Beatles White Album and cannot get excited about a headphone that commemorates the album, even if it is a Grado. I would love to test the GS3000e, but that will have to wait until I can afford to buy one.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #38 of 97
Considering the review was written now almost 4 years ago, I still stands the test of time. I am a very happy RS2e owner for the last 2 years because of the review. Always on budget side of things when it comes to the audio hobby, this one pleases perfectly. Over the last 50 years, I had Beyer Dynamics, Telefunken, AKG, Sony, Koss, Sennheisers and have now settled on the RS2e, HD600 and HD800s. Each of those have their own strength and weaknesses, but I will always come back to the RS2e. In time I might take the recommendations made here and check on the other models.

Thank you!

Jan 23, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #39 of 97
Considering the review was written now almost 4 years ago, I still stands the test of time. I am a very happy RS2e owner for the last 2 years because of the review. Always on budget side of things when it comes to the audio hobby, this one pleases perfectly. Over the last 50 years, I had Beyer Dynamics, Telefunken, AKG, Sony, Koss, Sennheisers and have now settled on the RS2e, HD600 and HD800s. Each of those have their own strength and weaknesses, but I will always come back to the RS2e. In time I might take the recommendations made here and check on the other models.

Thank you!
Wow, @atmfrank...your comment certainly made MY day. Thank you!

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #41 of 97
You're welcome. I couldn't believe they were only so few comments and likes, given the popularity of Grado.
I bought Grado rs1i back 3 yrs ago, tested on headphones socket of Yamaha CdS2000 player, and, sent them back by return mail.
They sounded screachy.
Swapped over for Audeze Lcd2 fazors.ran these through Schiit Lyr3
Sold this set up last year, the Yamaha was bland to me , well built but lacking life.
This time I am not in position to sample so took a chance as I am drawn to the Grado looks.
I purchased rs2e after reading your summary.
Have paired with Marantz Cdp and Schiit Vali 2 hybrid amp.
These Grados are totally divine.
Well, sold that

Oct 13, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #42 of 97
Well...now playing Pearl Jam Yield (re-mastered) on a 40 yr. old Thorens TD320 (slightly modded), McCormack phono stage, Burson CV3 and...the RS2e's. Couldn't be happier. No screeching even at full volume, extremely lively, deep soundstage, details. If there is something lacking, it's the imaging and three-dimensionality. But it's a smashing rock recording anyway, so I am not looking for that quality.

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #44 of 97
Is it wrong that I want every model in Grado's line-up? I just love how they have so many different little steps, even though I can imagine the differences between an SR-80 and an SR-125 are almost infinitesimally small.

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #45 of 97
Thanks! I compared the Grado HF3 and GH2 to the RS2e here. I found the GH2 to be one of my very favorite on-ear Grados, just edging out my prior favorite, the RS2e.

All the Grados that I test, I own. I have very little interest in the white Grado, probably (and unfairly) because I do not care for the Beatles White Album and cannot get excited about a headphone that commemorates the album, even if it is a Grado. I would love to test the GS3000e, but that will have to wait until I can afford to buy one.

Hi ruthieandjohn,
thank you for your great comparison tests. That really helps with the purchase decision.

Have you ever tried the GH2 with the G crushion? Is there perhaps such a drastic improvement as with the GH1 / G?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back