HUD mx1 vs. ibasso d4 vs. HRT music streamer II
Mar 14, 2011 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ffdpmaggot

100+ Head-Fier
I have refined my choices for a DAC down to three options for now, the iBass d4, the hud mx1, and the HRT music streamer II, all of which cost around 200 dollars, how do these compare to each other, and does anyone have recommendations in this price range? If there was a DAc in this range that sounds good and comes with RCA inputs to be used as a pre amp / amp with a record player, that would be even better.

I will be using this with a pair of hd595s and a little dot mark III (depending on built in amps in the DAC).

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
I'd also like to know how the D4 compares to the HRT Music Streamer II.

I have both. and the MSII is a considerably better DAC than the DAC section of the D4. FWIW, I also consider the P4 to be a much better amp than the D4, and I really got sick of changing 9-volt batteries with the D4. The MSII needs nothing more than USB power - even if you buy into the 'get a USB hub with your MSII' argument. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
I have both. and the MSII is a considerably better DAC than the DAC section of the D4. FWIW, I also consider the P4 to be a much better amp than the D4, and I really got sick of changing 9-volt batteries with the D4. The MSII needs nothing more than USB power - even if you buy into the 'get a USB hub with your MSII' argument. 

Thanks, I figured it would be better but I wanted some assurance. Hopefully I can sell my D4 now!

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 9

Considerably better ? Not necessarily. But the ms2 is certainly better in most aspects.
As a stand-alone dac, (ms2) it's hard for any competitor to match the performance.
So I second the notion.
Ms2 or ms2+ is the way to go.

There are plenty of reviews on the music streamer 2 fyi. A simple search yields comparisons vs. Audinst mx2. From mike at headphonia for example.

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks, I figured it would be better but I wanted some assurance. Hopefully I can sell my D4 now!

The ms2 pairs well with the o2. I would know considering I have that exact same set-up at the work-space! They even drove the hd800 well.

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 9
I spent 4 hours this afternoon with that exact combination (AD900 not HD800) and I concur, even though I dont have hard-to-drive cans. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 9
And there you go ^
Simple enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back