http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=14084
Mar 5, 2006 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

muckshot

100+ Head-Fier
Would this be an acceptable DMM for a first time DIYer (who intends on building a Cmoy), it's only 10$ on sale. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to list the resolution or have a fuction to measure current, though I could be wrong... any suggestions? It's just so darned cheap!

From Canadian Tire

Mastercraft Digital Pocket Multimeter
Product# 52-0051-4
Reg. $34.99 Sale $9.99
* Four functions with 6 ranges
* DC voltage - 20V, 200V
* AC voltage - 500V
* Resistance - 2000, 2000k
* Diode test
* Digital display size is 11mm

EDIT: Er, sorry about the subject line...
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: And the damned site won't link the product directly so I just copied over the info...

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 6
What's a moosebuck worth now, like 85 cents?

Yeah it'll do for basic stuff. My younger brother has a different model of the same style and it works.

It was manufactured by Centech fwiw. Sounds like a reasonable deal for one that small. You can get cheaper, but they're bulkier the cheaper you go.

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj
What's a moosebuck worth now, like 85 cents?

Yeah it'll do for basic stuff. My younger brother has a different model of the same style and it works.

It was manufactured by Centech fwiw. Sounds like a reasonable deal for one that small. You can get cheaper, but they're bulkier the cheaper you go.

Yeah, we're riding at about 85 cents to a US dollar, a good time for anyone up here who needs US imports to get their orders in.

So you don't think the aforemntioned multimeter will be too barebones given that there is no way for me to measure current?

Thanks for the input, I didn't have faith that my clunky thread would generate anything, so your comment is much appreciated. Heh, I'm going to feel so awesome buying a multimeter, like I've been inaugurated into a private club of Tesla like masters of electricity. We'll see if I'll even be able to figure out how to use the damn thing!

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 6
What I'm saying is that it's not a bad deal. For the money it's an alright little dmm.

For comparison, see this meter:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92020

That is thicker, wider, and longer than the crappy tire meter, made by the same company, has an ammeter and an hfe meter for transistors. They go on sale for $6usd eight or nine times a year.

I have two of those - close cousins of it at least - and the hfe meter is annoying to use compared to my wavetek, and the ammeter is a real crapshoot under about 10ma - and the cmoy will be drawing well under that.

My brother has this one as his only meter - but he isn't into DIY stuff.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=33499

Look familiar?

Has the DC amps feature that the crappy tire meter doesn't have - but i don't know how widely available it'll be in canuckistan.

If you've only got $10 to spend, you may as well get the one you're looking at. It's pocket-sized and a reasonably clean design.

Some day you'll get a better meter, it'll cost a lot more than $10, and i promise you won't regret having a small meter with basic features as a backup.

I must recommend against getting an expensive meter manufactured by a noname company, btw. When you get a better meter, don't just get the big brother of a cheap one. the quality control is lacking all the way up those product lines.

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #5 of 6
Ok gottcha, thanks, I will keep what you've said in mind. If my Cmoy is messed up and my 10$ meter proves itself to be totally useless in troubleshooting, I might opt for a Fluke or something as you suggested. If I prove to be completely usless in audio DIY, at least I'll have something to test out batteries, and not at the cost of going a week without eating
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 6
I think that it'll allow you to mesure the current (DC & AC), as thats one of the basic function of a multimeter. But I think you're better off with some that thats abit more expensive. You can always check them out at the store to see what functions they have. Luckily my dad has a Fluke multimeter, that works wonder when I was building my CMoy yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back