HTC one M 10 vs LG V10 in audio quality
Jun 6, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #16 of 24
No disrespect to Android Central, but I spent quite a bit of time comparing the HTC 10 and LG V10 and they are different.  For one thing, the LG V10 has a more balanced sound signature whereas the HTC 10 is quite a bit warmer.  I found the soundstage on the LG V10 to be bigger than the HTC 10 and I preferred the way vocals sound.  There is a richness to vocals on the LG V10 that the HTC 10 is lacking, but you only notice it when you compare them.  On the other hand, I noticed the HTC 10 has a more powerful amp and it had better bass impact and rumble.

I think they are both very capable phones on the audio front, so when choosing between them purely in this area, I would consider what kind of sound signature you like and what type of earphones / headphones you will be using.  I personally found the HTC 10 too warm combined with my earphones and most of my test tracks sounded better on the LG V10.

I had the same experience with the m10. Warmer (maybe more musical). I do not have the v10 but rather the G5 and I compared both today. The G5 with hifi module was more detailed and better separation compared to the m10. Overall, both were excellent with audio playback and just depends on your preferences.

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #17 of 24
Thanks for your perspective.
You make a good point regarding the various Android media reviews. Many, if not most, are not audiophiles or even that critical regarding sound and I take their opinions very lightly.
I don't know how many reviews I read where thet gave the V10 low scores on audio based on the speaker! Seriously.
Not only that but, I suspect, many used the stock 808 dac as they would not even mention the ESS chips.
Your conclusion does match up with the general strengths most other knowledgeable critics have obseved regarding the V10s great soundstage and its accuracy. ESS dacs have the reputation for being detailed and clear as opposed to warm.
Often in these situations there really is no "best" but a matter of which sound sig you prefer or what would best match your headphones.

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #18 of 24
Hi.
Yesterday just bought a htc 10(it's already out here in Mexico) and I compared with my v10, I used a Fidelio x2.

In short, I didn't hear any significant difference, I dunno what dac uses the 10 but damn sounds good almost in par with the v10, maybe this one have slightly more spacious soundstage and more dry sound, but the 10 is sweetest and more lauder, definitely more lauder than the v10 capped, with aux mode the difference is very slightly, but imo the 10 has better amp. These are short impression, I didn't hear any difference in instrument separation or detail.

So, both are top notch but imo the htc 10 is a better phone.

Sorry for my english. Cheers.

Hi! Can you give advice for best sounding earphones for my htc 10? 300$ budget, more if really needed. Sound quality most important. Mostly for pop music and Enigma and Enya type. I am from Serbia so hard to get less famous and some even really famous like RHA. My choice was Sony XBA A3 but can not import it here. Sure se425 or ath ckr9 could. Sony has H1 and H3 only in Serbia. Thnx.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #20 of 24

No disrespect to Android Central, but I spent quite a bit of time comparing the HTC 10 and LG V10 and they are different.  For one thing, the LG V10 has a more balanced sound signature whereas the HTC 10 is quite a bit warmer.  I found the soundstage on the LG V10 to be bigger than the HTC 10 and I preferred the way vocals sound.  There is a richness to vocals on the LG V10 that the HTC 10 is lacking, but you only notice it when you compare them.  On the other hand, I noticed the HTC 10 has a more powerful amp and it had better bass impact and rumble.

I think they are both very capable phones on the audio front, so when choosing between them purely in this area, I would consider what kind of sound signature you like and what type of earphones / headphones you will be using.  I personally found the HTC 10 too warm combined with my earphones and most of my test tracks sounded better on the LG V10.

I also feel like there is a huge difference in the favor of the LG V10. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #21 of 24
I found it difficult to believe that the HTC would possess superior audio to a phone with an audio chip by a highly respected manufacturer. The ESSS chip is used in some of the highest rated dacs on the market. It would be difficult for any makers to quickly create a competitive technology.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #23 of 24
From My experience ,

HTC M10 Amp is weaker than V10. Soundstage Wise...
M10 produces
WARM tubby veiled sound lacking definitions thats easy on ears REQUIRING a trebly headphone to BALANCE things out OR as I did , PowerAMP StereoX tweaking to do the same

V10 produces
Bright Forward Sabre House Sound with more definition , controlled bass , more analytical but lacks FOCUSSED fullness .

If required to choose ,I would pick HtC 10 over V10 And Viper it to get that unnecessary warmth outta way since htc10 is a generation newer than V10 (Dont like any android from SD810 gen)....

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #24 of 24
From My experience ,

HTC M10 Amp is weaker than V10. Soundstage Wise...
M10 produces
WARM tubby veiled sound lacking definitions thats easy on ears REQUIRING a trebly headphone to BALANCE things out OR as I did , PowerAMP StereoX tweaking to do the same

V10 produces
Bright Forward Sabre House Sound with more definition , controlled bass , more analytical but lacks FOCUSSED fullness .

If required to choose ,I would pick HtC 10 over V10 And Viper it to get that unnecessary warmth outta way since htc10 is a generation newer than V10 (Dont like any android from SD810 gen)....

Owned both at the same time. Difference is small enough to be negligible on iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back