htc magic now with flac support
Aug 7, 2009 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

aj-kun

500+ Head-Fier
Aug 10, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 32
Finally a reason to learn how to root my device, and check out some of the home grown features.

Not the least of which are 16-bit FLAC playback... I've been DYING to hear how this device _really_ sounds! Those MP3 playback capabilities are really good, but MP3 is so paltry when you have a lossless rendition.

THANKS for the News aj-kun!!

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 32
Grouchy stuff... when you're new to Flashing your phone!!

Anyhow, FLAC sounds good on the G-1 (HTC Magic) with the unamped Victor HP-FX500 and COMPLY P-Series (detubed) Tips...

VERY GOOD indeed!

I'm a happy camper!!!

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 32
But it BROKE...

SO FAR, the best solution is to use some good twist tie-ing skills on the default HTC MicroUSB ---> 3.5" Audio Jack... PLUS you get the skip back and stop/continue feature of the silver button. The HTC cable is VERY Durable. I have 2 now (due to getting stranded on a walking trip with a busted one for the Diamond... The build quality on that one sucked! One little fall out of the pocket while in bathroom, and blam! NO MORE Diamond MicroUSB ---> 3.5" Audio Jack...

SINCE These devices really take MiniUSB as well as MicroUSB plugs (just a matter of orientation) I wonder if we could get one of the boutiques like Moon Audio to create a custom MicroUSB ---> 3.5" Audio Jack out of a repurposed KimberCable?? with a little Black Dragon Interconnect Cable (GREAT for BOTH Lossless and Compressed formats, a little rounder than the Silver Sound... [I have a Black Dragon IC] that's why I suggest it...) terminated with a nice 3.5" Audio Jack?? I _should_ just eMail Moon Audio and ask what such a project would cost... I think I will. I'll report back.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 32
Drew is willing to do a Kimber Kable 0.5 M MiniUSB ---> 3.5mm Audio Adaptor, Just need to send him the cables. Price was good.

If you're interested, you might want to inquire. I've had a 3rd party small HTC Diamond MicroUSB ---> 3.5mm Audio Adaptor and the thing fell apart upon me dropping my phone (whoopsie!) a small distance (seated to the floor) and the MicroUSB "remnant" had to be pulled out with needle-nose pliers. That adaptor LOOKED quality enough, was certainly cheep enough, but was junk.

The Kimber Kable stuff (I've had one in the past) ISN'T. I've also got a 6" Black Dragon Interconnect Cable terminated in Neutrik Mini 3.5mm plugs made by Drew at Moon Audio and it's real nice craftsmanship. Very well made. I'm quite happy with that part.

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #12 of 32
yeh but are the pins for audio on the extusb adapter, the in the same as in the mini/micro usb connector. coz i've heard that the extusb has 3 extra pins for audio. i remember reading it somewhere. so would have to get those for the cable not, micro/mini usb
around how much btw?

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #14 of 32
extusb has the square edge and is asymetrical compared to miniusb.
XDADeveloperWiki - Ext USB
we would probably need these.
PodGizmo - Gizmos for the Technology Generation
^^ the top two from that link.
but i think it would be cheap to buy a whole bunch of the connectors from dealextreme =D

i just ordered some adapters from dealextreme, should be here in a month =|

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #15 of 32
I know this is a bit off topic, but my HTC fuze sometimes skips when playing mp3s/flac. Is this a problem for Magic users?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back