htc magic now with flac support
Aug 12, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #16 of 32
No, only if I'm running to many applications, I'm pretty sure the fuze would run wimdows mobile tho, we use Google android os btw.

FLACVEST!! cyanogenmod 3.9.8 is out.

....i just checked again this arvo, 3.9.9.1 is out now =D

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #17 of 32
I'm running it and so far no issues. Cyanogen's CyanogenMod is really WELL RESPECTED in the alternative ROM world.

This time I was able to set up the swap partition... w00 h00!

In a new message I will make a dump of all my "notes" copied from the xda-developer boards...

I agree with aj-kun...and I only listen to the Music app as the only app, especially if it's FLAC music as I used to notice laggy behaviour even with MP3 files even with the "official" Cupcake release and multitasking with the Music app SOME times now that my memory serves me correctly.

Sorry if that contradicts some of my previous posts.

I need to find that post about the memory page behaviour... but oh well until I do I know I'll have a bus that chokes on 8 memory pages instead of one at a time... Apparently there's a way to set it to "0" meaning 1 memory page at a time instead of 8, which is the default.

Geekery I know however I just basically wanted to announce this FRESHEST CyanogenMod ROM release!!

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #18 of 32
NOTE: This is specific to the G-1 Branded HTC-Magic Handsets with the boards labeled PVT 32B:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware Revision/SPL:

DREAM PVT 32B ENG S-OFF
HBOOT-1.33.2005 (DREA10000)
CPLD-4
RADIO-2.22.19.26I
Apr 20 2009, 15:30:43

FASTBOOT USB

<CAMERA STEP2> HBoot Mode
<SEND> Reset Device
<ACTION> Restart to HBoot
<MENU> Power Down

rooted!! 20090810@00:57:04am!!!

Installed CyanogenMod v.1.4 + JF

MicroSDHC Card: 16GB SanDisk MicroSDHC Card Class2

Size Total:

15.9 GB

First Sector: 8192
Last Sector: 31116287
Total Sectors: 31108096

0 - 7622(2) = 15244

15244 - 15756

15756 - 15788

HOW TO WIPE EXT3:

From Terminal:

# mount -o rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system/sd
# cd /system/sd
# rm -rf /system/sd/*
# reboot recovery

Please.. Dont ask how to wipe ext3.. ever again.. seriously dont..

linux-swap partition:

I just modified the existing a2sd.sh script found in system/bin/

Since it is run on every boot this worked like a charm.

*Prerequisites before you change the a2sd script*
*linux-swap partition as your 3rd partition
*run this command in terminal
Code:

mkswap /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

---

Ok, that's it!

Here's the script: Copy the Section Beginning with the line "#CodeStart" and ending with "#CodeEnd", and save to a file named userinit.sh , copy that to your sdcard, then in the unmount the sdcard, remove the USB cord from your phone, then in a Terminal as root, type the following:

Code:

# cp /sdcard/userinit.sh /system/sd/
# rm /sdcard/userinit.sh

Test to see if linux-swap is enabled by typing into Terminal as root:

Code:

# free

and looking for some values larger than zero under swap....

Here's the userinit.sh script below:

----------

#CodeStart:

#!/system/bin/sh
#
# Apps2SD using symlinks and bind mounts
# Thanks to Cynogen Modified by JAC
#

if [ -e /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 ];
then
echo 20 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
swapon /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
fi;

if [ -e /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 ];
then
# fsck the sdcard filesystem first
e2fsck -y /dev/block/mmcblk0p2;

# set perms
busybox chown 1000:1000 /system/sd;
busybox chmod 771 /system/sd;

# clean up any old symlinks, create data directories
for i in dalvik-cache data;
do
if [ -h /data/$i ];
then
rm /data/$i;
fi;
if [ ! -d /data/$i ];
then
mkdir /data/$i;
busybox chown 1000:1000 /data/$i;
busybox chmod 771 /data/$i;
fi;
done;

# don't allow /data/data on sd because of upgrade issues - move it if possible
if [ -d /system/sd/data ];
then
busybox cp -a /system/sd/data/* /data/data/;
busybox rm -rf /system/sd/data;
fi;

# move apps and dalvik cache from internal memory to sdcard
for i in app app-private dalvik-cache;
do
if [ ! -d /system/sd/$i ];
then
mkdir /system/sd/$i;
fi

busybox chown 1000:1000 /system/sd/$i;
busybox chmod 771 /system/sd/$i

if [ -d /data/$i ] && [ ! -h /data/$i ];
then
busybox cp -a /data/$i/* /system/sd/$i/;
busybox rm -f /data/$i/*;
fi;
done;

# symlink app dirs - they must be on the same filesystem
for i in app app-private;
do
if [ -d /data/$i ] && [ ! -h /data/$i ];
then
busybox rm -rf /data/$i;
busybox ln -s /system/sd/$i /data/$i;
fi;
done;

# bind mount dalvik-cache so we can still boot without the sdcard
busybox mount -o bind /system/sd/dalvik-cache /data/dalvik-cache;
busybox chown 1000:1000 /data/dalvik-cache;
busybox chmod 771 /data/dalvik-cache;

# clean up old whiteouts
for i in local misc property system tombstones data;
do
if [ -h /system/sd/$i ]; then rm -f /system/sd/$i; fi
done

fi

#CodeEnd:

---------
I BEAR NO RESPONSIBILITY for ANY CONSEQUENSES of YOUR CHOICE to use ANY INFORMATION on this post.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #19 of 32
i havent even thought of having a swap partition, im running a 32 magic...which means more ram :p
buy a class 6 memory card, ur swap partition will work faster.
have you tried any hero roms?, i want the hero media player UI, its sooooooooooooooo good.

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #20 of 32
ick... all that darkness.. i LIKE the light and ORANGE!! LOLZ... that's one of the things that got me to buy the G-1... All that cream and orange! looked like a Dreamsicle popsicle!

Anyhow. The Hero ROM's are well thought out, just too dark and green and (mean looking) for my taste. Touch Flo is interesting enough tho...

Just found this... The Audio Hack:

[UPDATE: 07/04] Increase max volume - V6 FILES OUT - Audio Hack V1.4 Released!!! - xda-developers

I'm going to try V4_r3 and report back on audio quality... This one is for HEADPHONES, and isn't supposed to distort... is Quieter than the other Loudness Hacks, but is supposed to offer better CLARITY. It uses the Profiles from the Hero ROM which has a new EQ.

SO... Hopefully I will have something Grand to report!!

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #21 of 32
There is a nice bit more loudness, and the Clarity is much much better... a bit less of the bambooish charachter to the sound that it used to have, but as an audio device, it is improved! I'd say it gained about 10dB!! Nice! (I like LOUD) Sounds CLEANER too...

NOW, you have to use adb, the android-software-development-kit on linux, windows, or mac. I used Linux, here's the thread:

[Q] How to install adb on linux??? (ubuntu) - xda-developers

that got me started, but I'm on Gentoo Linux, so everything was installed instead of in "/home/user/sdk/tools" on Gentoo...

You emerge the "android-sdk.ebuild" and issue these commands:

$ echo $PATH (should return the directories associated with $PATH)
$ export PATH=$PATH:/opt/android-sdk-1.5/tools (replace with path to your tools directory, you may need to add 'sudo' to the beginning of this cmd)
$ echo $PATH (you should now see your tools directory added to the end of the $PATH variable)
$ adb devices (now adb should do something, if nothing else at least error, no devices)

adb should automatically run as root for you now that it's in your path, you may have to open your file manager with gksu or if you're using Thunar like me, open a root session of Thunar... on Xfce of course! LOL your choice!

Then I used Method 1 to "push" the *.csv files to my phone's proper directory's using this information using the adb shell:

METHOD 1:

Code:

adb remount

- wait for the 'remount succeeded' message

adb push Desktop/AudioFilter.csv system/etc
adb push Desktop/AudioPara4.csv system/etc
adb push Desktop/AudioPara4_TMUS.csv system/etc - Optional

if the version you are using doesn't contain a TMUS file, just leave it out. it isn't vital.

once that has all worked correctly it is just a matter of:

Code:

adb shell
reboot

Then your G-1 / HTC-Magic Reboots Successfully... and you can enjoy Louder and very Clear Headphone Out Audio!! (using AudioPara4.csv from the NEW_AudioMod V4_r3.zip available HERE You MAY have to create an account, verify your eMail address, and login to access the file. I did. BEST TO YOU ALL!

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #22 of 32
i have to learn how to do that stuff... haha.
i havent done anything to my ubuntu install yet.
i heard i need to use ubuntu in order to get the repositories for the flac source, that the guy made for android.
this would all be great... so i can could make a custom hero version, with flac...and that audio hack for urs :p

redface.gif
ur on gentoo...so u custom built ur linux aye? (thats what i heard its good for)

Aug 16, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #23 of 32
...after "falling" for Thunar (the File Manager) and Xfdesktop (the combo) on the Ubuntu installation (via replacement with the help of some scripts by way of the helpful web netizen "psychocats") then I moved to Xubuntu, a Proper Xfce Desktop Environment-based Ubuntu Linux Distribution... Then got to customizing that SO MUCH, a couple of folks told me I should just run Gentoo, and install what I wanted from the git-go... So I learned Gentoo, and bob's your uncle. I'm fairly happy. I use it as my ONLY OS. YMMV...

IF you need help with Ubuntu, you could ask, but the Ubuntu Forums are also very very good places to find information. Or the Gentoo forums or the Gentoo Documents.

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #24 of 32
Yup, You can now keep up with the freshest CyanogenMod, which works on the the PVT 32B Boards (Please see THIS then THIS, and then THIS and for the static thread on the CyanogenMod ROM you can go to THIS...

ENJOY!

Once your phone is properly rooted, and you have the Cyanogen cm-recovery-1.4.img image installed as your SPL (hope I got the terms right, SPL stands for Secondary Program Loader...) can then go to the Android Marketplace, install the CyanogenMod Updater, set your preferences; then update to the latest stable or unstable releases. There's also a feature to allow you to see all available releases/ROMs, so you can back-flash to one if you find one of the fresher/unstable ones "too" bleeding edge for YOUR tastes.

I'm glad they're fast approaching a stable 4.0 release. I'm sure I'll park it there for some time. 3.9.7 was a good release. 3.9.11.2 has some code from Donut, like Global Search and the new wait spinners...

Bon Appetit!

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #25 of 32
yeh i prefer to keep my stock spl. so i just fast boot. ill probably switch when my phone is outta warranty :p.
as for xfce i've used that before on my eee pc, don't mind it except for when u need to use programs made for kde or gnome and then having to add extra stuff, (which kinda sux when ur using a netbook with 4gig space), running kubuntu on my pc. i might give some of this a try later this week after i get my uni deadlines done -.-'

Aug 18, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #26 of 32
YUP, for you CyanogenMod followers (for the included FLAC playback and other enhancements for the PVT 32B boards, the CyanogenMod 4.0.1 ROM is blessed as STABLE and includes cross-pollonation from the Donut Update for Android. w00t!

I couldn't find it in the CyanogenMod Updater app in the Android Marketpace, so I navigated to HERE:

[ROM] CyanogenMod - Zoom Zoom Zoom (STABLE) [UPDATED 8/17- v4.0.1] - xda-developers

copied the ROM named "update-cm-4.0.1-signed.zip" to my sdcard, used the cm-recovery-1.4 to use update any.zip, selected the "update-cm-4.0.1-signed.zip" file, updated, and rebooted my phone. No wipe, nothing.

The only thing I DID modify was deleting the userinit.sh script for the linux-swap partition as this stable release of the CyanogenMod AUTOMAGICALLY sets up Compcache FOR YOU if you are missing an entry of userinit.sh located at /system/sd/userinit.sh in your Android Device... Use this code to eliminate it if it exists currently in the Terminal Emulator:

as root:

CODE:

# cd /system/sd
# ls

(to verify the userinit.sh script is present or if it is missing)

(if it is present, continue....) (if it is missing, you're finished!)

# rm userinit.sh
# ls

(to verify the userinit.sh script is present or has been deleted.)

IF it remains, try again and mind your spelling.

IF IT STILL REMAINS, try:

# rm -rf userinit.sh

the "-rf" stands for "remove force" and should always be used VERY CAREFULLY! You could BREAK YOUR Linux System with a misplaced -rf command!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

You should now be all set up for automatic update by cm-recovery-1.4.img as your SPL to choose the update-cm-4.0.1-signed.zip file. OR if you are using the ORIGINAL SPL bootloader that T-Mobile provides, you can rename the file "update-cm-4.0.1-signed.zip" to simply "update.zip" to make it work. Remember to shut the phone off. Then hold down the Home + End/Power keys to reboot the phone. Then open the slider to display the keypad, press Alt+L to show the Loader text, then Alt+S to apply the update from SDCard... Then a Home + Back combo to reboot the Phone (if I remember correctly. If you have any questions about that or get stuck, refer to xda-developers.com/org and look up flashing the firmware of the G-1 HTC Magic...)

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #27 of 32
i recieved my 3.5mm adapters today from deal extreme. bought 3, broke one undoing the clips on the miniusb to open it up...yes its that easy and need to resolder a part and it will be working again...
the 2nd one only worked on the right ear phone...
and the last was working thankgod hahaha.

1 have 1 more plug coming in that i ordered from an australian supplier.

great thing is that they are sooo easy to open up. means that i could easily changed the cable that attaches to it to something better =D

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #28 of 32
Funny, I was looking into rooting my G1 recently and just saw this thread.

I would just like to point out that there is an app in the Market called "Recovery Flasher" that will get G1/Dream and TouchPro/Magic users to a custom mod in less then 10 minutes. Just follow the instructions at the website.

If you want a video to help you along, just search "How to Root Android in 1 Click" on youtube or google. The video really shows how simple the whole process is.

Having multitouch in the browser is pretty nice. I probably will never use my G1 as a music player though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back