HTC Hero SQ
Sep 7, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannevond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in need of a new phone and have been thinking about the HTC hero for some time now. With microSDHC approaching usable sizes at 16 and 32 GB, I see it becoming my portable DAP. Unfortunately, no shop let me plug my own card, amp and cans into their demo units
frown.gif

Current portable rig is rockboxed 30GB iPod 5.5g with LOD, 18V CMoy with oversized PSU and railsplitter, AD8620 opamp. Headphones of choice are Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32 Ohms. I want a source that brings similar SQ as the quite excellent flac output from the iPod.

Since I can't demo it with my own gear and reference songs, I wonder if someone can answer the following:

- How is the signal quality from the jack? It will go to a separate amplifier; "weak" is ok as long as the signal is clean and natural
- Can it play flac files? I rip all my CDs to flac and would rather not rerip 400+ CDs.

Thanks in advance for your input
smily_headphones1.gif

You mean you are looking for a decent DAP to pair your HTC phones and SDHC card? and require it can play flac?

There are too many DAP can satisfy youre requirement. I think the first page of portable source column of headfi org have many information on DAC selection.

Such as the hotest Microsoft New HD, Sony X, and AMP3 and so on. It is depends on your budget.

Just cost few minutes to find your preference one. For every body have his taste.

Sony X series and the zuneHD do not play flac.

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj-kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
better than my mothers ipod touch, dunno what model that is...thats outta the headphone jack tho =D

every effin' thing sounds better than an ipod, even if it has more bass roll off, worse channel separation, higher distortion - there is nothing worse than an ipod.

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #19 of 31
shigzeo: Harsh words, "headphoneus supremus" or not... Many seem to agree that some of the ipods have quite ok sq, given that rockbox and lineout is used. I know I like mine.

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he was being sarcastic
smily_headphones1.gif

Also have a look at the Sony Ericsson W995. GSMarena have a review up for that as well.

bingo!

anyway, if you ask very general questions from a population who like to give general answers you will get 'it's better than an ipod' which doesn't really help anyone. what is better? hiss? stereo image? bass? how is it better? better, good, best; they mean nothing at all because it all depends on the person's listening habits and own preferences.

for instance, i like full bass, don't mind warm mids, but like extended, but not amped treble. full bass means 20hz resolution to me, but i imagine to others, it means something different. similarly, i don't mind a bit of harmonic distortion, the reason that i enjoy players like the cowon x5, kenwood keg players, and the original ipod touch.

when you get an answer which says, 'sound better than player x', you get no information. it is like a blank wall. it is better to upfront state your requirements: what headphones, what signature; do you like hiss? do you like bass roll off? do you like distortion? some people like all of those as is obvious on these forums.

the problem with the test mentioned here is that it is unloaded, meaning no headphones were plugged into the output, just the line. that means the headphone out only drove an amplifier - an unrealistic usage model unless all you do is plug your phone into a car amp or something, or use an external amp for your headphones.

still, the htc showed signs of extremely rolled off bass (inability to drive an amp), lots of distortion and a few other things. But, that doesn't mean it will sound bad to you. distortion often equates to a warmer, cozy sound. loaded, however, those graphs would look worse for both players, but the HTC would really suffer then compared to the iPhone.

I hope you get some good answers.

Oct 4, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #22 of 31
shigzeo: OK, I get your points. To my defense, I did state that I would use the phone with an amp and DT770 cans (at least I thought it was clear). No hard feelings
wink.gif

In the end, I did get to audition the phone with my own files converted to 320k mp3. A friend let me try it out with my cmoy and DT770s. Turns out that it indeed is subpar for "serious" listening. Clearly audible background noise and rolled off bass and trebles. Very lacking in soundstage and detail as well. Very disappointing. I didn't even bother to test it without the amp...

I bought the phone anyway, since its PDA functionality and general appeal in other areas (GPS, compass etc) got the better of me. Maybe I'll test it with cyanogenmod and some flac player later on, but I doubt it could beat the rockboxed ipod.

Thanks to everyone who replied, sarcastic or not
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #23 of 31
BUMPPPPPPPPPP

So there was never any answer to the OPs question. The Hero has been out for a while now so does anyone have anything to add? I am looking to see if the SQ is good enough for me to ditch my Sony
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #24 of 31
In my last post, I reported my findings. It didn't cut it for me. Sweet phone in all other departments tho. I ended up installing a CF adapter and 32GB kingston CF in the ipod. Quite happy with that
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #25 of 31
If you have some free time, could you do a quick comparison between your ipod 5.5g with no amp vs the hero with no amp using a a pair of in-earphones (if you have any)?

I currently use a Sony X1050 with the included noise cancelling earphones. If the Hero is on par or better than the stock ipod, that would probably suffice for me.

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #26 of 31
No can do. I only have DT770, AKG K701 and a few lower end cans of similar design. I tried to like IEMs, but they are just too uncomfortable or something. The ipod is far better with any headphone I connected, but far from what you get with a dedicated amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #28 of 31
I recently acquired a hero, and after some searching I found that dBpoweramp has an app (simply named, Poweramp) that supports FLAC and has a fairly decent 10 band EQ and tone control. I use a D2 and E5, and while the combo is nothing to shout about it is far, far superior to the sound coming from the phone. I imagine that with some patience and slow fingers (EQ controls are sensitive), one could get the Hero to sound satisfactory with Poweramp. However there is no avoiding the dreaded hiss that emits from this unit. No surprise there, I suppose.

What I would love to know more about is if there is any way to use the mini-usb as a line out source for a portable DAC/Headphone amp. Can someone explain why this isn't an option?

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #29 of 31
As far as I know dbpoweramp has nothing to do w/the powerAMP app for Android. It's great, and I use it, but powerAMP is a totally seperate program created by someone not connected w/dbpoweramp. I did a Google, no connection was available.

powerAMP

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #30 of 31
I really love to use the HTC Desire as mp3 so I just need 1 device unfortunately the sound is only so-so and it doesnt do any justice especially you are using high performance earphone. I tried a few software player, they all sound the same out of box unless u play with the EQ. To be changing EQ is not a solution and I dont like to use EQ, I give up and purchase a Walkman NWZ-S545 can't be happier than that. There's a person who offer me a NWZ-A808 8GB with a MDR-082lp earphone for u$35 should I get it? Price too good to resist....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back