HTC Evo Sound Quality
Jun 6, 2010 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

dBs

100+ Head-Fier
It's a long shot but I figure I would find out if anyone has any impressions of the HTC Evo's sound quality.

I currently have a 16GB 3GS, but AT&T needs to go, especially with the new restrictions they are about to implement. Never mind that the Evo is looking to be head and shoulders above the next gen iPhone. I suppose the debate now for me is whether or not to bother even keeping my 3GS if I already have a 5.5 version iPod (especially since I would like to get a larger capacity iPod soon). The iPhone offered me a single device for music and phone which was really important when I was in college and without a car. I'm out of college and have a car so I only really listen to music from my phone when I go grocery shopping. Any long trips and I reffer to my iPod anyway.

So like I said, the element that this decision may hinge on is on how good the Evo's sound quality is.

Jun 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 50
Lol, I imagine you are being dramatically humorous but with the internet one can never be quite sure...

Jun 7, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 50
You may also wanna check out samsung's new galaxy s gt i9000. Theres a review on gsmarena and the readings look promising. Audio readings almost the same as the 3gs. Plus its got internal storage 8/16gig in addition to micro sd slot.

Also you might wanna wait for the iphone4 coming june 24 with the a4 cpu from the ipad. i dont have to say anything about the sq, it being an iphone, unless they change dacs again

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 50
i just purchased an evo--having upgraded from a palm pre
the sound quality with my grado sr 60 cans is not good so far-likely need a headphone amplifier which was not the case with my pre nor my ipod touch 1st generation...

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 50

Well, it is simply the best sound ever; from top to bottom, it is full of grace, like a symphony of angels in every melodic spurt. At times, I wonder how it can even be a phone. 

Well in that case I'll take two! One for each ear...I'll call it my Balanced EVOtacular Traveling Sound System! :wink: J/k of course but I'm interested as well.

To the OP, is your mind still made up after seeing the iPhone 4G? One of these two phones will be my next for sure...still deciding though.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 50
I really want this phone to sound well but HTC have never cared about making a good sounding phone. Though this phone is better then anything atm and will be better then the iPhone 4, I predict that the iphone will still be the best sounding phone. Unless Apple REALLY fubars something up.

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 50
I just upgraded an iPhone 3GS to the HTC EVO. Unfortunately the sound quality of the iPhone is noticeably better. I think the headphone jack has more power going to it because the music seems to be louder when hooked up to my AUX input in my car. I think it will be tough to find a smart phone that plays music better than the iPhone, that's kinda their bread and butter. With that being said, I'm much happier with the EVO as a phone.

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 50
I wonder if there are any music playing apps out there that can output via usb sorta like a foobar for android if you will. coupling this with an amp/dac would work very well if it is possible

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 50
Yea, I just got to fondle the Evo and wow is that a nice phone. At the same time, a buddy of mine who has it is considering returning it due to the bad battery life. That has me concerned. Couple that with the 300mb cap that Sprint has for roaming as I am living in a completely non urban environment, I would probably be living vicariously on roaming. I am probably going to wait for the rumored Droid Xtreme/Shadow on Verizon.

Well we will see how the sound quality is on that...probably not as good so I will probably keep my old iPhone as a slightly fatter touch, and for international travel.

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #12 of 50
the evo is heavy, huge, battery life isnt great... but i still like mine a lot.  id never listen to music from it though.  tried that with blackberry... didnt really turn out that great... although i felt the bold (sprint) call clarity sounded better than my evo but couldve just been a fluke.

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #13 of 50
I used my Blackberry Bold (AT&T) as a player for a while, and it was alright... I thought the first gen iPhone was better sounding, and the battery life is terrible (though others claim that newer revisions of the Bold - mine is a 9000 - get considerably better battery life when playing music).  The "iPod" software on the iPhone is really fantastic as well.  Personally, I'm considering getting the new iPhone if the new antenna provides signficantly better reception than my 1st gen had - although I'm not excited about being "locked in" to the Apple ecosystem.  No idea how the Evo or other Andriod systems would fair, I'd like to try them out but not ready to plunk down the cash for one yet.  Maybe if they had the ability to use an external dac like the Pico/Predator when desired, and decent battery life.

Anyway, after having my iPhone stolen, switching to the Blackberry, and then getting a Cowon S9 I'm thinking about coming back to the iPhone.  Carrying multiple devices can sometimes really be a PITA, and that is my primary motivation.  Just something to consider.

Jun 21, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #14 of 50
My subjective opinion is that my ipod definitely sounds better than my EVO.  The EVO isn't terrible and is fine for casual listening.  I'm using thinksound rains.  Haven't tried my nuforce ne7's yet.  

I'm also using doubletwist for the media player.  I like it a lot better than the default player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back