HT Receivers?
Nov 1, 2008 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Alai

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I am hunting for cheap (looking for ~$150 or less), but quality DAC and/or AMP for headphones and speakers that will hook up to my computer. Preferably, I would like a Home theater potential in the source. Therefore, I have been looking for an HT receiver.

Currently, I have been hunting via craiglist and FS threads here and there.

I bumped into a JVC RX-717V. It is an old 1995 model, apparently, but the guy wants to sell it near the price that it still goes for ($125). I will probably attempt to haggle it down to at least below $100. Not sure if it will happen, though. I would like to see what you guys think of this receiver because I have not been able to find much information on it. I saw a couple people post favorable reviews here and there, but that's about it. I would rather hear from the pros that surf these forums.
biggrin.gif

If not these, then any other suggestions? I have also been looking into that modded Prelude ($150) and/or X-Fi Platinum ($125) in the FS threads. But those are in the upper reaches of my budget. So... I dunno.

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 5
I went this route earlier this year with the Prelude to get good sound for my pc although I only have headphones connected.

It sounds good to me paired with a Yamaha HTR-6030 receiver with the Prelude in DTS mode and the Toslink cable.

Nov 3, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #3 of 5
The Onkyo TX-SR505 or TX-SR506(same unit, one is last year's model) can be found as factory refurbished for about half their new price. $150 is possible if you look around. It's the best quality unit at this price point you will get. I have checked around a lot for products at this price point for use as a bedroom amplifier. It is actually ridiculous quality for the price. It even looks the part - with a thick solid metal front - as opposed to the cheap plastic used on just about everything else at this price point. This series of ONKYO has constantly measured to perform among the best of available products for the last couple of years. ONKYO is putting great effort into trying to regain a foothold as a high quality electronics producer - at least for the mainstream consumer division.

-Chris

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 5
Nice. I might consider that. Currently, I am pursuing the purchase of a used Yamaha HTR-5540 for $50 (trying to haggle lower). However, if that doesn't work, I will definitely consider the Onkyo refurbs. Thanks for your input!

Nov 3, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice. I might consider that. Currently, I am pursuing the purchase of a used Yamaha HTR-5540 for $50 (trying to haggle lower). However, if that doesn't work, I will definitely consider the Onkyo refurbs. Thanks for your input!

You can easily get either a refurbished 505 or 506 for around $160.00 directly from Onkyo (with one year factory warranty). I got a refurbished 505 last May and it is one fine-sounding component (when compared to my Cambridge Audio integrated amp)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back