HR-2 & XP-7 Op Amp Rolling Kit
Aug 29, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #18 of 83
Not sure if this is the proper thread ... but it would be nice to hear some comments from the kit users regarding how they think the various op amps sound.
biggrin.gif

And a big thanks to John_jcb for taking the trouble to arrange everything!
3000smile.gif

Aug 29, 2004 at 6:42 AM Post #19 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord SW Ont
Not sure if this is the proper thread ... but it would be nice to hear some comments from the kit users regarding how they think the various op amps sound.
biggrin.gif

And a big thanks to John_jcb for taking the trouble to arrange everything!
3000smile.gif

Check out my review of the Ray Samuels Emmeline HR-2 & Emmeline II The Stealth: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79639

Aug 31, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #20 of 83
Well, it is not easy to address accurately all the nuances of these op-amps, since there's no way no do A B comparison, unless you have two amps.....
Anyway, to my ears the best match for the XP7 is the AD797, excellent bass, and its highs are not as harsh as the original AD825. The "s" sibilance in bright recordings is gone.
I find the LT's op-amps similar in sound to the AD797, it seems like they were their answer to Analog Devices. However, I like the AD house sound.

The biggest dissapointments were the VERY expensive OPA627BP ( more than 30 dollars each!!) they sound TOO mellow and smooth to my taste, the bass is weak and the highs sound rolled off, and the harsh AD8610 that sound like the AD825.

Aug 31, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #21 of 83
I like the 1028 but its best combined with another, wider freq ranged(sounding at least) op amp to balance it out. It can be a little rolled off at the extremes if used by itself(not a problem with my cdp, but with the hr-2 a problem). I too was disapointed with the bb627. It was muffled sounding at the bottom and lacked speed and extention. glad I bought them at a discount...

k.s.

Aug 31, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #22 of 83
I noticed this thread when john-jcb started it but at the time I didn't own a Ray Samuels amp. I now have an XP-7. I have the AD797 in it and I also have some 8610s but haven't tried those yet. I'd love to hear how the other opamps sound though.

I know July 7 has long since came and went but is it possible to get on the mailing list? Considering the tardiness of my post, I certainly understand if it's too late.

Aug 31, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #24 of 83
Wow! great. Thanks for including me.
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #26 of 83
I'll be happy to send the kit out to you after me, as long as it's OK with john_jcb.

By the way, who do I give my address to?

Sep 1, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #27 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
I'll be happy to send the kit out to you after me, as long as it's OK with john_jcb.

By the way, who do I give my address to?

The more people that can try the op amps the better.
If Mariowar still has the kit please send your addresses to him.

Sep 2, 2004 at 12:11 PM Post #28 of 83
OK, so how is this supposed to work? Do I need to send a message to john_jcb so he can keep track of where his opamps are or do I send a message to mariowar with my address, or both? Then do I just send the package along to Patrickhat2001?

Sep 2, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #29 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
OK, so how is this supposed to work? Do I need to send a message to john_jcb so he can keep track of where his opamps are or do I send a message to mariowar with my address, or both? Then do I just send the package along to Patrickhat2001?

Please do exactly as you have said in your post. I think there are others ahead of you on the list though. Mariowar will add your name and Patrick's to the bottom. Eventually the last one will return the box to me.

Sep 3, 2004 at 1:46 PM Post #30 of 83
By the way, how long is everyone using the kit for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back