hp890s for electronic music?
Sep 29, 2002 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

flare

New Head-Fier
im about to get some headphones mainly for home/pc use and ive read quite a bit about the 890s being very good for classical/jazz music. are they any good for trance and techno? most of the stuff i listen do does have vocals

also, my bro's gonna be using them aswell, mostly for gaming and punk rock/metal music.

would the 890's be a good choice? i live in australia and from what ive read the senn range is quite overpriced here. what would be some other options in the same price range as the 890s?

Sep 29, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 11
Try:
Technics RP-F800 (May be sold under Panasonic label in Aus)
Beyerdynamic DT231
Sennheiser HD497

I'd recommend the DT231 despite the horrific looks. Try them on before you buy if you can. The earcup shape may not be to your taste.

Sep 29, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 11
What do you look for in techno music? If you are after lots of low-end with a visceral feel, a polite midrange, and clear, smooth treble, then I have only one recommendation for Techno:

The Beyerdynamic DT770-250.

There is no better headphone for techno; it has a "diffuse" presentation of sound which gives one the impression of being in a fairly large club with airy accoustics. Also, it has the deepest, most solid bass of any headphone I have ever listened to. It's like adding a 12" subwoofer to a really nice four-speaker surround system.

Excellent for listening at "loud" volumes (85+ dB) with little or no fatigue.

As a plus they're sealed, making them durable and versatile.

The downside of the 770s is they isloate so much that you cannot hear the phone ring, you need a decent amp (or plug 'em into a stereo receiver), and the midrange might be a bit too recessed for some people.

The lower-end Beyers (such as the DT231 mentioned earlier) are not nearly as good-sounding. The DT250-80 is great if you're DEFINITELY not using an amp, but it lacks treble detail and sufficient bass response (yes, I don't consider the 250-80 bass-heavy, it has way too much midrange for techno, so much, in fact, that it hurts my ears; only a good choice if unamped).

That's my opinion.

Cheers,
Geek

Sep 30, 2002 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 11
I second Geek's suggestion.

Beyer Dt770pro +decent amp and you do not have to search for other headphone in the future(for techno music) coz it's the only headphone that can offer bass impact you're looking for. That if you have the cash, otherwise I think the HP890 will do just fine. I heard they are quite good and not very expensive.

Beyer Dt250-80 lacks the bass response that can be found in 770pro(to my ear). but then it may just be my personal preference( I love bass), so you may find dt250 just fine.

Sep 30, 2002 at 9:15 AM Post #6 of 11
I consider the HP890 to be a compromise headphone at best. Only buy it if you are strapped for cash and need a DECENT headphone and can find it for a really cheap price. At around 100 USD, this headphone is a very poor value, and I do not recommend it for techno. The soundstage is artifically wide and will give the music a hollow feel that will be distracting.

Sep 30, 2002 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 11
yes the beyerdynamic range is quite good, the 770 pro with an amp is kick arse, but thats really serious money.

personally i think you will be severly dissapointed in the hp890's. my dad bought a pair for $120aus and while they are probably great for his classical i really prefer my ksc-35's. the koss just have way more bass, just the right amount for me, while the hp890's have err, not enough for me at least.
if you would be plugging the hp890's into a source that had some sort of equaliser so you could increase the bass (not megabass that still sucks even with the non existent bass of the hp890's), then the hp890's might not be too bad. i just prefer the bass heavyness of the cheap koss's and i think most other people would too. the hp890s are pretty good for games, as from my experience you can tell where the sound is coming from pretty well, although again i still like to increase the bass response which i can from my soundcard.

if you want something that does have some decent bass, then some models in the beyerdynamic range are very good (not the dt831 and 931 apparently). some of the models in this range have nice impactful bass if thats what you want. To get them in australia i think the easiest way is to contact snufkin either on these forums or the overclockers australia forums (http://forums.overclockers.com.au) and also this site http://www.cashncarry.com.au/ sells most of the beyer range at not bad prices.
either way i really recomend you talk to snufkin you want exactly the kinda advice snufkin can give you. either the DT250/250, DT531, DT770Pro/250 and DT990Pro and possibly the dt250/80 are pretty good options if you can afford them
smily_headphones1.gif
the hardest part is deciding between them
smily_headphones1.gif
. note some of them do need amps, such as the 770pro, whereas for others its recomended but not essential. if they are a little out of your budget i know someone who even chose the dt231 over the hp890's after listening to them both. unfortunately i think you missed out of the overclockers australia ksc-35 group buy which is pretty good(but not as good as the expensive beyers) for the $75 aus price IMO.

edit: without listening to any except the 990pro quite a while ago when i no idea about headphones, which i liked but cant remember any more than that, i think the dt531 for use without an amp or the 770 pros with a headphone amp ( = bye bye $$$) seems to have gotten the most praise.

Sep 30, 2002 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 11
thanx alot for the replies, seems like the hp890 wasnt the best choice
smily_headphones1.gif
the 770's look awesome, but i dont have an amp, and cant afford one atm
frown.gif

gonna go have a listen to the 231's and the other ones mentioned by ppl in the near future, and go from there. prolly gonna go with the 231's/ksc35's now, and upgrage to 770's and an amp when i can
smily_headphones1.gif

thnx

Sep 30, 2002 at 3:43 PM Post #10 of 11
You can always trust the regulars to go over the top and stick to the same well-trodden rut whatever your actual needs in their recommendations
very_evil_smiley.gif

Ideally, wear a blindfold when you're auditioning the 231. It helped for me
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2002 at 6:00 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
to go over the top and stick to the same well-trodden rut

Over the top and in a rut?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back