HP touchpad sound quality (I know, beats audio but stay with me)
Aug 27, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #33 of 58
Thing is i am on 3.00 WebOS
i undertand they have fixed the album art on 3.02

I can not download it properly. i been trying and right now it looks like i will finally apply the update.

In 3.00, album art works if you embed it with your song and "cover art" does not work AT ALL

I like Album Art :frowning2:

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #34 of 58
I can confirm that the touchpad sounds quite a bit better with Beats turned of.
I have installed a volume patch from preware and with beats on it distorted too much.

Now everything is just fine.

And I've owned the ipad 2, and yes the touchpad indeed sounds better than iPad 2! :)

Very happy listening to all you new or soon-to-be touchpad owners!

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #35 of 58
You should try between 5AM and 8AM CDT. I've heard that there are many people trying to update at the same time, that the servers are timing out.

Quote:
Thing is i am on 3.00 WebOS
i undertand they have fixed the album art on 3.02

I can not download it properly. i been trying and right now it looks like i will finally apply the update.

In 3.00, album art works if you embed it with your song and "cover art" does not work AT ALL

I like Album Art :frowning2:

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #37 of 58
Ah, no wonder it sounded slightly familiar (Galaxy S phones use wolfson chips for audio, if I recall correctly).
Otherwise, it is a pleasure to listen to music through it, Battery life is quite stellar compared to my smartphone as well, despite the fact it's under-volted; somehow, it stayed at 100% charge for a whole 24 hours.
Best part is, you can use Google Music beta on it without too many hiccups.

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #38 of 58
I'm on my touchpad now, and it's good - but it's no darn iPad 2. I have an iPad 2 in the house so I think I would know :wink:

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #39 of 58

Quote:
I'm on my touchpad now, and it's good - but it's no darn iPad 2. I have an iPad 2 in the house so I think I would know
wink.gif

I respectfully disagree. Turn Beats Audio off.

Then again, the iPad 2 didn't play nearly as nicely with my JH13s as the first did.

Aug 31, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #40 of 58
I respectfully disagree. Turn Beats Audio off.

Then again, the iPad 2 didn't play nearly as nicely with my JH13s as the first did.

The SQ is good on the touchpad, but it's still behind the iPad - the EQu & Equalizer apps prove that. I did see that there's a similar app for the touchpad tho. And I did turn off the obnoxious beats audio - it's horrid!!! But the thing is HUGE and I'm not using a device that's more suited to other uses as a portable source.

Besides, I was actually reffering to the slowness of the device,...NOT the audio quality. Still, for $149.00 I think I got an excellent device - well worth it.:cool:

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #41 of 58

Quote:
The SQ is good on the touchpad, but it's still behind the iPad - the EQu & Equalizer apps prove that.

That doesn't make any sense.
confused.gif
 That's like saying Cowons are the best sounding players because of Mach3Bass, BBE and all that garbage they put in as software EQ nowadays. If you are satisfied with your headphones and the player you're using offers 20Hz-20KHz flat and measures sufficiently elsewhere (THD, stereo crosstalk et alia), then you shouldn't need that stuff at all.

Overclocking and removing the logs makes the Touchpad a little faster than the iPad 1 generally, but still behind the iPad 2. Of course the TouchPad failed badly because it nonsensically tried to compete with the iPad at the same price levels.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #42 of 58

Quote:
confused.gif
 That's like saying Cowons are the best sounding players because of Mach3Bass, BBE and all that garbage they put in as software EQ nowadays. If you are satisfied with your headphones and the player you're using offers 20Hz-20KHz flat and measures sufficiently elsewhere (THD, stereo crosstalk et alia), then you shouldn't need that stuff at all.

Overclocking and removing the logs makes the Touchpad a little faster than the iPad 1 generally, but still behind the iPad 2. Of course the TouchPad failed badly because it nonsensically tried to compete with the iPad at the same price levels.

Yeah. Call me crazy but I don't mind the Beats Audio effects as I don't think it negatively affects the sound quality of the headphone jack.

It's a shame HP didn't see that they couldn't compete with the iPad purely on pricing and the novelty of the OS itself. had HP been aggressive with their marketing and pricing (say, $299 and $399 introductory prices or so), I think the Touchpad could've been quite the contender. It's a shame it took discontinuing development of the platform and a fire sale to make that known to HP.

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #43 of 58

Quote:
confused.gif

Actually, it makes quite a bit of sense - as the music you hear was mastered by someone OTHER than the artist,...I use EQ, and EQ makes 99% of a difference to ME. I EQ my Rockboxed Sansa's, Sony's, iPods, iPhone, etc,... I think you get the point. So, in summary, EQu and Equalizer make a WORLD of difference. Anyone who has used the apps will tell you so.

And yes, the thing is a sluggish & slow device. But, for $149.00, it's a **** fine performer. And, FWIW, I already know about the history behind the touchpad & the original iPad. HP made a HUGE boo-boo,...

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #44 of 58
Hmm. Perhaps I should provide a screenshot of just how much DSP manager gives you. Hold on a moment...

Screenshot cut off the top option, which is Dynamic Range Compression. Though this is a screen from my Droid 1, not Droid 2.
Here's my D2, set up for bassheads. Oh and this also shows just how good T-mobile's theme engine is. Same app, but...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back