HP touchpad sound quality (I know, beats audio but stay with me)
Aug 22, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #16 of 58
^ Indeed! I snagged one last night as well during the flash sale.  I don't think I will be using it for media, more so for its flash browser that is known to be fast and smooth.  

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #17 of 58
Looks like I'll be using it alot...The headphone jack on my Droid is starting to give out. Gotta take it apart and resolder the connections to the board at the minimum to make it work.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #19 of 58

Quote:
Looks like I'll be using it alot...The headphone jack on my Droid is starting to give out. Gotta take it apart and resolder the connections to the board at the minimum to make it work.

The Original Droid does not have soldered headphone connections, its using pressure points to press the contacts against a pad on the motherboard. It's not a good design, I had to replace one because the jack got all crackly after a month or so. I don't use the droid for music anymore, got a rockboxed clip instead.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #20 of 58
Meant on my Droid 2 Global, even though that problem was supposedly fixed with the new design. I can't just shove a piece of a straw into the usual little space above the headphone jack to force a connection anymore, I have to take the phone apart.

Quote:
The Original Droid does not have soldered headphone connections, its using pressure points to press the contacts against a pad on the motherboard. It's not a good design, I had to replace one because the jack got all crackly after a month or so. I don't use the droid for music anymore, got a rockboxed clip instead.

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #21 of 58
P.S.: Audiophile HD (free) adds support for wav, aac, ogg, flac, et alia. Also adds adjustable EQ.

Digging this so much as my bedside source/browser.:D

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #22 of 58
     Quote:
I have the TouchPad as well, and had the exact opposite reaction to the audio. It over-emphasizes the bass, which is muddy and distorted, and not very deep. And did I mention that its very distorted and not very loud? I was comparing it to my HiFiMAN 601, by the way. I know feelings on here about that player are very mixed, by I love the sound out of my HiFiMAN.

I agree with your assessment of the Touchpad's default audio, with Beats Audio's DSP enabled.  Lots of overemphasized, somewhat muddy bass, and definite distortion evident.  However, the Beats Audio DSP can be disabled to great effect.

Go into Settings -> Sounds & Ringtones; bottom setting is a toggle for Beats Audio (at least on mine, running 3.0.2).  Keep this ON for built-in speaker use, but turn it OFF for any type of discerning listening!

The difference is... very significant.  I found it unlistenable with Beats Audio ON, but is easily the best portable source I currently own with Beats Audio OFF.  I'm not exaggerating.  Try it!  I'd love to have this confirmed by other Touchpad owners, but I do not think my ears are wrong.

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #24 of 58
Would anyone like to sell me any leftover touchpads? I didn't get any since I'm out of the country for at least a week and HP will most likely cancel my order because they can't reach me over the phone.
mad.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #25 of 58
Amazon.com cancelled BOTH of the 2 touchpads I ordered - but I still have 2 that'll be coming soon. A 16gb for the Mrs (that's all she wanted), and a 32gb for meh!!!:D

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #29 of 58

Quote:
Oh, please do. I'm really into getting one for me and one for my daughter. But, anything will do.

PM me your location, and I'll notify you if I manage to snare a few more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back