HP touchpad sound quality (I know, beats audio but stay with me)
Aug 9, 2011 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

ricthaman

500+ Head-Fier
so, just yesterday my 32GB touchpad came in.
if you have no clue what I'm talking about, it's the new tablet from HP running WebOS
originally developed by Palm inc.

now, it's a great tablet, honestly! The multitasking, synergy, webbrowser and all are great.
but we're on head-fi, so I'll talk audio. You can find the rest on google.

HP says this tablet has beats audio technology inside. Now we all know here on head-fi that this is not particularly a good thing. However, I was very pleased with this. It shows they have actually spent some attenyion to the audio quality of this thing.

so, the speakers sound actually very decent. You don't get loud base or anything, but music just sound clearer, better seperated, more dynamic and fuller. You just hear quality music, but by no means hifi.

however, the headphone output is a different story alltogether. HP says they implement better signal paths, better headohone jacks and a dedicated audio island inside for best audio quality for their beats branded laptops. Unfortunately, nobody has the ins and outs on what's the case with the touchpad. But as a long-time head-fier, and the neccesary experienxece I can say that audio quakity on the HP is surprisingly good. Shockingly so that I sold my iphone and will be using the touchpad as my only source for the future. Along with an admirably performing hp veer.

describing the sound is rather hard, but using TF10 and pearl custom cable, the sound is really full bodied yet neutral, no overbearing low end or over processed mids or highs.
very clear stereo seperation, and nice dynamics. Somehow a very enjoyable open yet full sound. I seldomly found a device that could combine open and full sound together. The only one I can recall is my home stereo.

I knwo these terms are very subjective and not measurable or technical, but it's meant to give a feeling of the sound. Ohh, and the output (when running the music player is very quiet).

are there any other head-fiers with a touchpad?

greetings from my touchpad listening some old skool toto.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 58
I kinda stopped reading at the part where you said

:
so, the speakers sound actually very decent. You don't get loud base or anything, but music just sound clearer, better seperated, more dynamic and fuller. You just hear quality music, but by no means hifi.

Of course a tablet should have decent speakers. The speakers on my Iphone are 'decent'

audio quakity on the HP is surprisingly good. Shockingly so that I sold my iphone and will be using the touchpad as my only source for the future. Along with an admirably performing hp veer.

Wait... Are you telling me that you're going to be using your touchpad as your portable source?...

I tried searching on google and apparently the weight of the HP Touchpad is EST.

740 grams

As opposed to the Iphone which is 137g (est.)

Is the difference in weight, as well as dimensions (AS WELL AS PORTABILITY) worth the SQ increase?

Let's keep in mind that this is the portable source gear section.
When I say portable, I want something that wont encumber me when I'm walking down the street, going shopping, riding a bike etc etc

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 58
maybe I should've made myself clearer by saying that the speakers sound more decent than any other tablet. I don't find the iphone speakers to be decent and haven't heard any tablet with decent sound i.e. Not shrill and tiny congested sounding.

as far as portability is concerned, the touchpad is a tablet thus portable. People post pics of portable rigs that consist of imods taped together with an ipod and maybe some vcaps etc, portability isn't that great either in those cases but in the end they are portable.

I travel a lot by train (2 hours a day) and so my touchpad will be my main source during those train rides. When I'm out and about, my veer will do just fine as a more portable source.

and I know the touchpad and many other tablets are rather heavy and have a large footprint, but this doesn't mean they're no portable source gear? Maybe not portable enough for any situation or person, but it is portable! It was designed to be portable from the beginning anyway.

regards,

ric.

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 58
I've been thinking about getting the HP touchpad. I'm still deciding between that and the Asus eee pad Transformer. The only thing that makes me a little worried about getting a touchpad is the lack of apps. Realistically I only need my tablet to have access to Amazon mp3 cloud player and to the mog app or mog.com. How good is the browser on the touchpad? I think that's how I would stream most of my music until the app support got better.

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #5 of 58
Well, the browser on the touchpad is very good. It plays flash better than the asus eee pad from my experience.
I haven't tried those websites you describe, but I could try them when I'm home tonight.

Grz,

ric.

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 58
So I tried the touchpad and transformer at Best Buy, but I was having issues pulling up websites on the touchpad. The transformer was doing a bit better, but I think most of the problems were coming from the quality of Best Buy's internet. I'm still undecided about which one I want. The transformer can get both the amazon mp3 and the mog apps, so I would be good there, but it seems like the touchpad offers a better browsing experience. How much better do you think the browser is on the touchpad?

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 58
I have the TouchPad as well, and had the exact opposite reaction to the audio. It over-emphasizes the bass, which is muddy and distorted, and not very deep. And did I mention that its very distorted and not very loud? I was comparing it to my HiFiMAN 601, by the way. I know feelings on here about that player are very mixed, by I love the sound out of my HiFiMAN.

Aug 20, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #8 of 58
I don't really give a poop about the SQ on this, as I just ordered a 32GB HP Touchpad for $149.99 from HP!!! They went belly up, and I get a great affordable net browsing & video watching device. I wish they would reconsider the whole "throwing in the towel thing", but I'll enjoy my cheap and quite excellent device when it arrives.

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 58
No, HP didn't go belly-up. HP will still be around, but they discontinued the TouchPad.

I'll be at BestBuy early tomorrow - I'll buy one for $100 or $150.

Aug 20, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 58

Quote:
No, HP didn't go belly-up. HP will still be around, but they discontinued the TouchPad.

I'll be at BestBuy early tomorrow - I'll buy one for $100 or $150.

Your right, they didn't exactly go belly up - they threw in the towel!!! And Best Buy is only refunding on the HP Touchpad's - and will NOT be selling them at a discount. 

Best Buy's HP TouchPad Return and Price Match Policies

The best place to still get one will be directly from HP themselves - all the remaining stock is being returned to them and sold directly to the public - you'll just need to be patient and monitor the site to see when their available for purchase.

HP Touchpad @HP

Happy hunting - I'm in it for 2 more myself,... 
beerchug.gif

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 58
Snagged a 32GB at P.C. Richard this morning for $162 out the door (32GB). 160 bones for a tablet of this caliber to browse the internet, watch videos, read books and listen to music before going to bed is killer. It's not about being a head-fier or not, it's just darn common sense to pick this up at this price.

I'm fond enough of the sound, my only complaint being that the volume increments are simply not granular enough. With my JH13s the TouchPad is either too loud or too quiet, and it's difficult to strike the correct balance. I'll see if Preware has any way to resolve this. I can't imagine it sounding the lesser of decent modern-day MP3 players as far as quality goes.

FWIW the quality of the hardware speakers are likely the best of any tablet out there. It makes a small difference when sharing content.

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #13 of 58
i also dislike the volume increments. If the number of steps was just doubled, it would probably be just fine.

My Z1000 headphones sound fine from the touchpad, with very very slight hiss.
My IE8 in-ears sound horrible. Incredibly muddy, boomy and just unrefined. Hiss is really loud and annoying. Too bad because these probably would've been my standard set to use with the Touchpad.

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 58
I got to order one off Amazon, precise last second too before it ran out of stock. I'm more interested now though in these guys over at Rootzwiki that are bent on porting over Android 2.3 to the Touchpad. Hopefully, that goes well for team TouchDroid. A CyanogenMod7 base would make it all the better, with DSP manager, 5 band equalizer, loudness comp, range compression, etc.

Aug 22, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #15 of 58
I have one on the way from HP, one being sent to me from a person who got it from BB for my wife, and 2 more I bought off of Amazon for a friend & my sis-in-law.
All in all, not bad for 4 HP Touchpads - the same pricing (almost) as 1 iPad 2. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back