HP-2 and Your Favorite Solid-state Amp
Mar 24, 2006 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wakked1

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm curious what peoples' favorite solid-state (preferably discrete) amps are for matching with the HP-2s? I like a quick, transparent and neutral amp that keeps everything moving along fast and tight, but still with natural decay and timbre. I'm not a fan of gear that highlights specific aspects of the music as I listen to lots of different kinds of music, so what giveth in some tracks taketh away from others. If the original is bright and grainy, that's honestly what I want to hear.

The best amp I've heard with the HP-2 was a Dynahi SA... it grabbed the midrange and made it sing, strong and transparent, while maintaining a tight and powerful bass and well extended treble.

I've also listened to them via my Gilmore Lite & Porta Corda III USB w/ wallwarts, and a Lavry DA10 and a DAC1 at the recent bay area meet. While none of them sounded bad, they generally lacked the authority in the midrange and could sound either a tad thin or dark.

Since its no secret they need a lot of current, I think that narrows things down a bit. Other amps that are apparently a good fit:

- PS Audio GCHA: discrete and powerful with a midrange USB DAC
- Grace m902: discrete (??) high-current with midrange DAC and optional remote, but some comments about general weakness in the bass

Has anyone compared the GCHA to the Grace to determine the pros and cons of each?

GS-1 might be an option as well, though I'm a little skeptical that it can really put out the necessary current.

In terms of combo DAC/amps.. well, unless both are pretty impressive I'd rather not waste money on a mediocre DAC. I can use the DAC on my Denon receiver for the time being anyway.

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 7
Bump... nobody listens to these puppies through an SS amp?
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 7
I use to have the sugden, gsp solo and grace 901. My fave with the hp-2's was the solo. Note I said fave which does not necessarily translate to best with the hp-2's.

I used this combo for quite a while. I also found I liked it with the hd600 as well. One of the few Grado's I could stand with SS amplification.

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i like tubes best with the HP-2s, but my favorite SS amps for use with HP1000s are the PS Audio GCHA and the Dynahi, in no particular order.

Those right there are probably my two top choices. Did you have a chance to listen to them back to back? I'm curious what your opinion was of these two amps from a strengths/weaknesses perspective, specifically with the HP-2s?

I like what I've heard about the Grace, but its significantly more expensive and its not clear the amp or DAC hold any clear advantages over the GCHA (other than connectivity).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back