HP-1 for $1500 for sale on eBay - Warning
Mar 12, 2006 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

jjcha

Headphoneus Supremus
Not that I think a whole lot of people are going to jump at this price,

Just regarding this sale, people should know that this seller had listed a HP-1 for a "buy it now" price of $800 a few weeks ago.

First HP-1 for sale

Akwok bought it, and paid for it, but then instead of shipping, the seller claimed that it broke and refunded Akwok's money. The seller is now listing a "friend's" HP-1 for a $1500 buy-it-now price using the same photo.

Personally, I've seen far worse transactions. Still, based on my interpretation of the facts, not the most exemplary behavior by the seller.

Head-fi thread on the original sale

Best regards,

-Jason

Mar 12, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 32
Thanks for the heads-up.

Not that I would be able to afford it in the first place
rolleyes.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 32
This is just one persons opinion so take it or leave it:

Those headphones are getting old! $1500 for a pair of used 10-year old (?) headphones of unknown pedigree that do not have active manufacturers support is a tremendous risk.

Things deteriorate from exposure to ozone and atmospheric gasses whether used or not. A pair kept in storage and not used will deteriorate over time.

I’d hope anyone considering a purchase like this would consider what other headphones are available at this price range with active manufacturers support and a warranty.

Several years ago a guy bought a pair of HP-1’s that had been completely refurbished by Joe Grado for $1500, I think the silk screen was even redone. Those were like new and probably worth the money. As much as I liked the HP1000 series there’s a point where it’s too big a risk and not worth the potential trouble.

To each their own but come on guys you’re fueling the insanity. $800 Yes but not $1500.

Mitch

Mar 12, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 32
Brailledriver,

These headphones are collectors items. They represent a pinacle in headphone design. Why woulnt they go up in price as they get more rare?

Mind as well start complaining about fine art, sculptures, cars, or even stamps! The HP-1000 series is considered by many, a headphone that stands by itself, even 10 years later.

If several years ago, a guy bought a pair for 1500$, the silkscreen couldnt of been redone. I have gone over this aspect of the headphone with Joe Grado on several occasions. It is impossible to have them redone. They were made, they were sold, you cant fix the silkscreen.

Is the auction legit? i dont know, i have no opinion on that. All i wanted to say was that this headphone deserves more than what your giving it. If you want to argue with prices for discontinued and rare items, you got a long road ahead of you.

Mar 12, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
This is just one persons opinion so take it or leave it:

Those headphones are getting old! $1500 for a pair of used 10-year old (?) headphones of unknown pedigree that do not have active manufacturers support is a tremendous risk.

Things deteriorate from exposure to ozone and atmospheric gasses whether used or not. A pair kept in storage and not used will deteriorate over time.

I’d hope anyone considering a purchase like this would consider what other headphones are available at this price range with active manufacturers support and a warranty.

Mitch

I almost bought a painting by Monet last year, but its so old and the lack of manufacturer support really scared me off.
biggrin.gif

Seriously these things are such a huge collectors item I can easily see someone paying 1500 or more. But still I would not bid on this auction. The previous history sounds too flaky

Mar 12, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
I almost bought a paiting by Monet last year, but its so old and the lack of manufacturer support really scared me off.
biggrin.gif

Seriously these things are such a huge collectors item I can easily see someone paying 1500 or more. But still I would not bid on this auction. The previous history sounds too flaky

Screw you man! I told you that I'd offer a free 200,000 mile checkup if you bought my Monet. My grandma only used it to go back and fourth to the grocery store once a week.

Mar 12, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 32
Well, I think Mitch have a point.

You can't compare a Monet and a HP-1 unless you buy the HP-1 to only stare at it.

If you buy the HP-1 in order to listen music with it, then it makes sense to be a bit cautious. To pay all that money for such an old item with lack of support might not be a good idea. What if you spend $1500 only to discover 3 months later that your left driver start to make buzzing noises, and you can't replace the drivers and Grado doesn't support that can anymore?

At least if my HE60 has a problem I know that I still can send it to Sennheiser for servicing. It's my understanding that this is not the case with the HP1000s. Isn't it?

No need to be defensive. We are not saying that this headphone can't be that expensive. Sure it can, as long as it works. That's the issue.

Cheers

Mar 12, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 32
well the seller did specify on both listings that, "THUS IS USED"...so ya, whatever that means!

Mar 13, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 32
"...I ripped the transducers out and sold them off to someone else, then put the housing back on and took pictures not showing the housing...THUS IT IS USED."

Mar 13, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
"...I ripped the transducers out and sold them off to someone else, then put the housing back on and took pictures not showing the housing...THUS IT IS USED."

Bad use of the English language, IS bad use of the English language. But hey, he is Pimping!

Mar 13, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #12 of 32
Is this part new?

"see i collect headphones for some one who thinks i dont have them i had more but sold them good luck what you get is the 1 set with the box and yellow pads thanks"

And that picture with the whole family of metal Grados?

Mar 13, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #15 of 32
"i am selling for a friend this is a very hard item to find so good luck!!!!also had them recabled to the most recent cable: Joseph Grado Signature Ultra Bandwidth Reference Cable, as well as had the drivers replaced before I purchased them in 2003."

Boy the whole statement don't make sense. Is he selling for a friend or the item is his?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back