HowTo: Build an Ultra-Slim LOD Cable
May 13, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #76 of 145
Here's my newest creation.

P1000911.jpg

4x Mundorf 0,5mm SG wire in a quad round braid, with a snipped down Neutrik.

The pic was a little hard to take with the artificial light, but hey, it's only to give the basic idea
wink.gif

I'm gonna sand it down tomorrow with some 200, then 400 and then some finish it with varnish for a little glitter and glamour.

May 14, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #78 of 145
Yes, I'd like to know too. It would work well to make a custom molded right angle neutrik. The neutriks are pretty small without the shell.

Oh and I got some of the very small dock connectors from Ridax, and they look great. I look forward to making a low profile cable with those.

May 14, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #79 of 145
It's this stuff, only in black

33224-group3ww-l.jpg

Mold it, put it in the oven for about 30 minutes @ 130 degrees celsius and viola!

May 15, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #80 of 145
heres a couple I made with epoxy putty. it really opens up the possibilities of what you can do. have done IMOD versions and even IMOD with usb versions. I also use it for making modified RCA connectors and Y splits. next up is a cable for my incoming ES3X, so will be able to make connectors from scratch with just a couple of pins

here is one before I put the casing on; this is made with 24AWG cryoparts UP-OCC cryo copper and cardas silver. sports the iphone resistors, a charging mini usb port and a sawn off switchcraft mini. this is for a T4 and iphone 3G. I think i've pretty much hit the wall with what I can fit in though
biggrin.gif

lowprofilecryopartsLODwithUSBport.jpg

landscapelowprofilewithUSB2.jpg

portraitlowprofilewithUSB.jpg

I use miliput black epoxy putty. takes a few hours to cure properly (room temperature) and sets hard as a rock. I then sand it back and either give it a couple coats of semigloss clear or matt resin. or if i'm going for an ultradark finish I give it 1-2 coats of black enamel first.

this shows how it fits; this was one with a neutrik mini

nearlyfinishedscalshot.jpg

and finished like this
lowproperfect.jpg

lowprofileshot.jpg

IMG_9603_1.jpg

the fimo is an interesting idea, I assume you bake it separately and install on the cable afterward?? if not any cryo would be ruined and even regular single crystal metals could also be altered. do you epoxy it on afterward bonthouse??

May 15, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #81 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's this stuff, only in black

Mold it, put it in the oven for about 30 minutes @ 130 degrees celsius and viola!

doesnt it melt the solder?

May 15, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #84 of 145
I'd be more worried about the plastic on the ipod connector, and flux fumes that may possibly leak into your oven.

But then again, it looks as though bonthouse has done it successfully without any trouble.. so I think the risk is pretty low.

May 15, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #86 of 145
well i've been told that even soldering can be detrimental to cryo, so its supposed to be better to treat the whole cable after its made. not certain that it really is a problem; just maybe something to be aware of. I would thik the p[lastic parts of the dock could be weakened though. I guess we'll see in a few months
biggrin.gif

looks like I have to come up with something new
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #87 of 145
It's soldered, then done with the soft modeling clay to get between the joints and whatnot, than done again with the classic modeling clay and viola.

It's 30 minutes in a 130 degrees celsius oven, so that shouldn't have an impact on the wire I guess. Between the periods in the oven I let it cool for about 2 hours, or more if I'm lazy.

The plastic parts are still strong and firm when touched when they are less than one minute out of the oven.

ps. please do note, I use a hot air oven, the best there is
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #88 of 145
truly amazing! could it be made to have a female 1/4 on the other end for my Grados?

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #89 of 145
QUSP? Could you possibly show how to make a USB LOD? That would be the most amazing thing ever. I was thinking about it today, and see you can do it! Wow? Thanks for any help.

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #90 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QUSP? Could you possibly show how to make a USB LOD? That would be the most amazing thing ever. I was thinking about it today, and see you can do it! Wow? Thanks for any help.

Try this.
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back