how's the ER-6i considered nowadays?
Sep 12, 2010 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

radiohlite

100+ Head-Fier
my dirt-cheap IEMs finally died (I forget the name. some $5 things I got at Big Lots).  They really didn't sound THAT bad after EQ-ing, much better than the JVC Marshmallows actually.  But now I want something decent, that'll compete at least with my woodied Grados.

I was going for the ER-4s, but after reading opinions and seeing the graphs I think they'll be too bright for my taste.  Just the 2khz emphasis really would bother me.

Any other IEM I've looked at in my price range (under $100) has bloated bass which I really hate, except for the ER-6i and possibly the Re0, but I can't find a graph for the latter though I've heard good things about it.

I'm really leaning towards the ER-6i but don't want to pull the trigger till I get some opinions.  Some people love them, some people think they have no bass.  Pretty much all agree on its clarity and isolation, but after all the new IEMs that have gained respect around here recently maybe I can get something better.  sooooo.....

For reference:  my main headphones are Grado SR60s (woodied, with bowls, and some mods; basically they sound like SR225s) and Sony V6s (also modded to make them less bright).

I'd just like to know if the Ety's bass is SIGNIFICANTLY less than that of my cans since the mids and highs seem to be spot-on.
-OR- if I can get something better that'll approximate a *flat* FR and good isolation.

I listen to all kinds of things but mainly Alternative/Indie and Classical.  Soundstage is not an issue.  I just want the FR to be balanced (in IEM-land: no +10db bass)

sorry to be so exacting but I want to save people's time and energy in asking for info that wasn't supplied in the OP first time around.  thanks   : )

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 8
ER4S is no more brighter than any Grado, though if you want to keep it under $100, I think you should also look into the newer Ety's MC5 as well.

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 8
well, the ER4-s does have a bit more in the 2khz region than the grado, minus a good bit of 40-200hz energy, so I assume it would sound brighter.

I'll look into the MC5 though. thx

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 8
For ER4S, it is not about the measured FR curve, but the perceived FR curve. In person, it sounds much smoother and flatter than most Grado.

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 8
oh. ok. but I can't afford those anyhow...would love to try them out just to see what the praise is all about, maybe i'd love them too...

those MC5s are sounding nicer and nicer the more I read about 'em.

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 8
Although I haven't heard your grados, I just recently wrote up a review that compares the RE0 and the MC5. (Well, the review is about the MC3, which is the headset version of the MC5, if you must nitpick.)

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/511542/my-first-review-etymotic-mc3-going-in-deep-56k-warning

And wow, ClieOS - a new display pic? I can't imagine it :xf_eek: I always found your Tachikoma very distinctive hehe.

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #8 of 8
To put this in perspective I am the happy owner of IE8's and just this past week became the owner of the ER4S. I find the ER's to be excellent in the bass department..It is just different to how the IE8's do it!

I actually find the etys to be wonderful and warm, rich but detailed.. Just absolutely wonderful IEM's! I used to own the 6i's and those are much thinner sounding than the 4's I got mine from Amazon for $170 and if you can stretch to that I most certainly would!

One thing, the require quite a lot of power to drive them! Gary's PA2V2 does it with aplomb, the Nuforce Icon mobile sadly just does not have enough power!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back