How's Grado SR-325 without amp?
Jun 14, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 9
Can't comment on the A900, but I enjoyed my sr-325's without an amp. I really loved the detail, vocals, and especially the powerful bass out of my reciever and even the ipod. I could definitely notice the phones lacking though, especially when paired with the ipod. Also be warned, these things are bright bright bright. I don't think using them with an ipod is a good idea, if in fact that's what your planning on.

BTW, why not the sr-225's? I've heard their not as bright and much more satisfying to listen to.

Jun 14, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 9
I haven't heard the A900s but the 325s sound great without an amp. They are easy to drive. I have the Grado RA-1 amp and upon comparing the sound of the grados amped and unamped, the difference is only very small. The bass was a little stronger and tighter with the amp if I remember correctly. If you dont have an amp, i'm sure you will still enjoy the 325s just as much.

Jun 14, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
Is the 325 good without amp? Can it compare with the a900(w/o amp) without amp?

How is it out of PC and portable players?

Thanks,

The Grados are the only full sized quality cans I own that can be driven by a portable with good results.Amped is better, but without they sound enjoyable.

Jun 14, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 9
The 325s certainly do benefit greatly from an amp, but I was just redoing a quick comparo and I cant say that it was sloppy. Maybe its because I'm using a vintage portable player with a good headphone out (??) or i dont have a discerning taste in sound, but I still think that the 325s unamped were pretty darn good compared to lots of headphones. Again, I saw only a slight degradation of sound without an amp, but maybe this slight improvement with an amp is that little bit extra that we all pay so much for....

Jun 15, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dffman2001
The 325s certainly do benefit greatly from an amp, but I was just redoing a quick comparo and I cant say that it was sloppy. Maybe its because I'm using a vintage portable player with a good headphone out (??) or i dont have a discerning taste in sound, but I still think that the 325s unamped were pretty darn good compared to lots of headphones. Again, I saw only a slight degradation of sound without an amp, but maybe this slight improvement with an amp is that little bit extra that we all pay so much for....

When I say sloppy, I am referring to the lower bass. Surely you can hear that it is not as control and tight as it is with an amp? Play some music with fast deep bass and you will hearing what I mean clearer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back