Howdie from another new member (Grado fan, tube virgin)
Apr 28, 2021 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hamcha

New Head-Fier
Hi HFF

Started down the rabbit hole of headphone and tube amp exploration.
I'm a Grado fan (SR60, SR225e) and looking for my first tube amp that is less than $200 to tame the high-end of my headphones. Funny as I really didn't consider the high-end and sibilance till learning more. Knowledge is power...and a curse..
:)

Anyways, I know there is quite a bit on my interests here, but if you have any info or links you want to share, it is greatly appreciated.

Blessings!
Hamilton

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 5
A tube amp isn't going to tame the treble as much as a sock mod. Might want to try that first, and as a bonus, they might end up slightly more comfortable (at the very least, these will feel better on your skin than the bare foam).

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 5
A tube amp isn't going to tame the treble as much as a sock mod. Might want to try that first, and as a bonus, they might end up slightly more comfortable (at the very least, these will feel better on your skin than the bare foam).
I was curious about sock mod and pad swaps/modifications. I have tried quarter pad mod with SR60 using Sennheiser HD414 pads, but preferred both the comfort and sound of original Grado S pads. I'll look into sock mod for my 225e. Thanks!

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 5
Little Dot MK2 is my go-to for an under $200 tube amp recommendation. $160 on Amazon, easy return if it isn't a good fit for you. I do agree with the above that you're probably better off modding the headphones rather than trying to fix them with a different amp.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 5
Little Dot MK2 is my go-to for an under $200 tube amp recommendation. $160 on Amazon, easy return if it isn't a good fit for you. I do agree with the above that you're probably better off modding the headphones rather than trying to fix them with a different amp.
Little Dot is on the short list for sure. I am considering MK2, but the general consensus seems to be for Grado headphones, Little Dot 1+ is a good entry point and good match for Grado's. BTW: Nothing broke and not looking for fixing my beloved Grados. :wink: Just trying different things as I explore the possibilities. Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back