How would you rate these solid state amps with the HD-650?
Mar 22, 2006 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sonance

500+ Head-Fier
I know this sort of thread has come before, but I'm interested in people's opinions on amps they've heard or preferably owned. You can just list them in order of preference, or assign them a numerical score as well if you'd like. No need to rate them all, you can just list the ones you've heard/owned. I'd like a ranking or rating *without* price factored in. I'm looking for an amp to go with a 2nd pair of 650s I got for use at work. I don't think portables will be able to compete in a non-portable setup such as this, but if you think one is a good proposition for inserting into this list, or if I've missed some good SS candidates, feel free to inert them.

- Corda Aria.
- Corda Ha-2 MKII.
- Dynahi - SFT (or other well built.)
- Gilmore Lite.
- Gilvmore V2.
- M^3 - Rockhopper (or other well built) with STEPs or similar.
- Headamp GS-1.
- PPA (maxed) Larocco (or other well built.)
- PS Audio GCHA.
- RSA HR-2.
- Rudistor NX-01.

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 17
The closest thing I have to any of these is the JMT Audio Pimeta that I ordered maxed out. 627 op amps etc. I just doesn't do it for me with the HD650's. Just too lite sounding. Not warm or musical at all. I was bummed out about headphones and amps all together until getting a Woo Audio 3 tube amp. That's more like it. Would love to hear a kick ass SS amp with 650's at a meet or something but until then it's Woo Luv.

Mar 23, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 17
What's your source?
Specifically with the HD650 (I like the Aria more with Grados for instance). I'd rank the ones I've heard:
RSA HR-2
PPA (maxed)
Gilmore Lite
Corda Aria

Thing is for work I like an all-in-one solution. Depending on the cash for the source a Lavry DA10 may come to the cost of the HR2 and decent source (again you'd need to feed the Lavry though). Additionally if you're using a computer there are upcoming options like the MP5 (not SS) which show promise.

Also I think some portables like the Lacorro PRII and SR71 at least compete with a couple of your choices, so I wouldn't write off portables completely.

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 17
Of the ones I have heard, I would rank them in this order....

1) Headamp GS-1
2) SFT dynahi / single ended version
3) Maxxed PPA with steps power supply
3a) Gilmore Lite/ elpac
5) Corda HA-2 .... original version
6) RSA HR-2

The Lite with the upgraded DPS power supply upgrade would be a good choice and likely move ahead of the PPA.

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 17
The source will be a standalone DAC. I'll either move my Benchmark DAC1 to work if I get a new source for home or I'll buy a DAC to use at work.
I'm not sure if it will be the Lavry Black or one of the Chinese DACs or what, just yet. I'm aware that the Aria has a USB DAC which makes it a nice solution, except it will not work with a non-computer source (seems like an omission - maybe the Aria MkII will have it?).

sacd lover:
Very interesting rankings... I'm somewhat surprised by the rating of the HR-2. Also very interested to see the GS-1 placed over a single ended dynahi, as that was one of my concerns with a GS-1, that I would be worried at having something not quite as good as a Dynahi.

Thanks for all the impressions so far, would love to hear any other comments that people have.

Mar 25, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Does the PPA work well with Grados or Beyers? Is it too bright or forward with them?

The PPA works well with Grados and is not too bright. There are also mansy different configurations and op amps that you can put in the PPA, so the sound may differ.

Mar 25, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonance
Also very interested to see the GS-1 placed over a single ended dynahi, as that was one of my concerns with a GS-1, that I would be worried at having something not quite as good as a Dynahi.

the dynalo and the dynahi sound pretty different. as long as the implementations of both are good, it's really a preference thing, as opposed to an absolute quality thing.

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 17
I forgot about the GCHA and as someone PM'd me, the Rudistor NX-01.

I think I'll check out as many of these amps at the National Meet as I can, and then buy the most likely candidates and sell the ones with less system synergy. Thanks for the help, feel free to add any more amps or impressions to the list!
orphsmile.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 17
From the sporadic meet impressions, the Singlepower solid state amp looks like it is going to be up there with the best available once its released. I would add that one to your list. Cant wait!
icon10.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
From the sporadic meet impressions, the Singlepower solid state amp looks like it is going to be up there with the best available once its released. I would add that one to your list. Cant wait!
icon10.gif

Do you have any idea when the amp is supposed to be out?

Mar 28, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
Do you have any idea when the amp is supposed to be out?

He has several prototypes built and he has decided on the one he likes best. I am supposed to get my prototype as soon as he gets time to case it up.

He has a project he is working on he hopes to have done by late April. Once that is done he will start concentrating on the SS amp, probably by late May, as a guess.

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:14 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonance
I'm aware that the Aria has a USB DAC which makes it a nice solution, except it will not work with a non-computer source

It will work with a source, Player connected with RCA, but not with just a transport.
Cheers

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:38 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8
The closest thing I have to any of these is the JMT Audio Pimeta that I ordered maxed out. 627 op amps etc. I just doesn't do it for me with the HD650's. Just too lite sounding. Not warm or musical at all. I was bummed out about headphones and amps all together until getting a Woo Audio 3 tube amp. That's more like it. Would love to hear a kick ass SS amp with 650's at a meet or something but until then it's Woo Luv.

Heh, you should hear a CMOY some time... much "liter" to my ears than a Pimeta. Some of us like a lighter/airier sound, it appears that you prefer a very full, warm sound. To my ears, my Pimeta is pretty accurately conveying the music and is very musical... good budget choice IMO, although the PPA may make more sense in terms of (price) matching with a pair of HD650s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back