How would you rate the Sony MZ-R 909 MD
Feb 21, 2010 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Albinoni

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking on Ebay at a mint if not excellent condition minidisc player, though I am not sure if this is an MD Net version of what ever they call it. I havent bidded on the player as yet untill I get some feedback from here and to hear whats it like.

Also re the Inputs does it support Optical In ?

Thanks

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 5
Yup - all decent minidisc players have an optical in and a separate mic in.

This one's good. But with the prices so competitive, why not just get an MZ-1, or a MZ-N1, or a MZ-NH1 or a MZ-RH1?

May 13, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 5
At this late stage I would only be interested in HiMD capable players (Atrac3+). The 909 is an MDLP player (MZ-R), meaning it only supports Atrac3 or SP, LP, and LP2 speeds. It will not support 1GB discs. MDLP players still have excellent sound - and they're gapless - but IMO A3+ was a big leap over A3. HiSP = SP SQ at almost double the capacity (~140 min per MD80 and ~7.5 hr per Gig disc) and the "lossless" speed of 352kbps becomes available (it's not really lossless, but that's another thread). These were and are still the sonic equals to the ~300kbps codecs available today (A3+ 352kbps in my HiMDs compare favorably to AAC350VBR in my A829). But the only ones I've seen kicking around domestically are a few RH-1s (as the M200 'bundle') and the occasional NH600D (player only). Gone are the (IMO) most desirable NH900s or RH10s, probably the epitomy of the user player/recorders out there (w/nicer player-friendly features as opposed to the field-recorder oriented RH1). I think the 909 sold new for about $250-$300 (my first player was an MZ-R700 for around that price) so, depending on what they're asking - (my NH600D was originally a dirt cheap net-player for less than $200. I paid about $275 to own it..). Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back