how would YOU describe this?
Jul 26, 2008 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

uglijimus

100+ Head-Fier
As we all know, sound is something that’s very subjective. One person’s crisp, tight treble is another’s blanketed, rolled-off high end.

(Please note when I mention guitars, I am ONLY talking about guitars using distortion)

I was wondering about the definitions of some of the terms in the glossary here. Since listening to my D2000s, I’ve been wondering exactly what I’ve been hearing. The phenomenon I’ve noticed is that electric guitars (not all of them, but a lot-depending on the recording) seem to be, probably described as “grainy”. Let me try to explain better: Take a picture of a rainbow. The yellow represents the drums, the orange the vocals, the blue the bass, and the red the guitars. Looking at the picture, it looks beautiful. Clear, vivid pleasant to the eye, except for the reds….It looks as if the red was magnified 10x over and you can actually see the pixels that compose the red. This is how I feel with many of the guitar sounds of my albums every since I started listening with the D2000s. It sounds almost “too detailed” or “too revealing”.

Another way I can try to describe this is if anyone has any experience in a band, they know that if they put their ear right up to the cone of a speaker in a cabinet in an electric guitar set-up, the sound is very broken apart and not tight at all. If you move further away from the speaker or off to the side, it sounds, tight and together. What I am experiencing with the guitars through my cans is this broken apart sound. Is this considered grainy?

Thanks
jim

Jul 26, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 4
Have you isolated the problem and decided it was the headphone? The graininess that you are hearing could come from be the recording (there are more bad recording out there than you probably imagine), source, amp, or cable (if you are a believer). If you just upgraded to high end headphone, often you'll be revealed the crappiness of the various components in the signal chain. If I were to hazard a guess I'd probably say the grain is in the recording.

Jul 26, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 4
I agree with Navyblue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back