How Would These Headphones Compare To My Audio Technica ATH AD700
Sep 8, 2009 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

CptPepsi

New Head-Fier
At the moment the only pair of good headphones i have are the AD700's. now with school kicking off and everything i am wanting something not as HUGE, has good bass and does not leak as much sound. I just can't seem to decide whether to buy the grado sr80i's or the Sony MDR-V6's. There is also zero chance of me getting any kind of amplifiers or anything like that. I will be listening mainly from my computer and a little bit from my iPod Touch. I mainly listen to rock, alternative, electronic, and daft punk type stuff. So here are my questions.

1.How much sound does the grado leak compared to the ad700?

2. Can you actually feel the bass on the grado's?

3. How does the sound quality in the sony's compare to the AD700's

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by CptPepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the moment the only pair of good headphones i have are the AD700's. now with school kicking off and everything i am wanting something not as HUGE, has good bass and does not leak as much sound. I just can't seem to decide whether to buy the grado sr80i's or the Sony MDR-V6's. There is also zero chance of me getting any kind of amplifiers or anything like that. I will be listening mainly from my computer and a little bit from my iPod Touch. I mainly listen to rock, alternative, electronic, and daft punk type stuff. So here are my questions.

1- Well they both leak a lot, but the grados leak just a bit more than the AD700s.

2- Well I'm not sure about the SR-80s, but I can definitely feel the bass on my MS1s. I'm about 80% sure that the SR-80s have more bass than the AD700s.

3- It's been a very, very long time since I listened to the sonys, but I do remember them sounding somewhat like the AD700s, but maybe brighter. Don't take my word for it though, I didn't do serious listening back then and what-not. I'd look into the SR-80s or MS1s instead of sonys, mainly because I remember the sonys being somewhat bass anemic.

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 12
Welcome.

1. A Grado or MS1 leaks more than the AD700.

2. Irrelevant. You want closed headphones so they leak less than the AD700.

3. Forget "sound quality". Choosing and comparing headphones is about preference, synergy, and utility. See my signature.

What is your budget for buying headphones?

Quote:

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 12
FWIR, I suggest considering the ATHM50 and D1001. Search "M50" and "D1001". These are the two most popular headphones that would meet your needs: under $120, not too big, closed, and for use with no additional amplification.

Quote:

1Time) I would like to spend no more than 120. But if you show me something very tempting than i might be willing to go over.

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #7 of 12
You may want to research the Denon AH-D1001. I've never heard them but they may be what you are looking for. The SR80 are going to leak more and the bass wont be much better.

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 12
thanks i think I finally made up my mind on the ATH-M50. God! I hate myself for feeling that it is acceptable to spend this much on headphones. LOL. Well I now will have an open headphone and a closed headphone. Hopefully i will never have to come back here again lol. Well thanks for you help guys. So what would be a good place to order these headphones from? Amazon? i usually get my stuff off of amazon. or is there a better place to order these headphones?

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Amazon.com: Audio Technica Pro Studio Monitor Headphones: Electronics Do you guys think this is a safe place to buy them from? Is there a chance of it being fake or anything? please let me know.

That M50 probably has the coiled cable, not a fake, and a safe place to buy. You'd be over paying by about $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back