How would the TMA-1 compare to the ATH-M50
Sep 2, 2011 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

WakiDabeast

500+ Head-Fier
Just curious how would they compare in a few categories- Isolation?
Sound Quality?
      treble?
      mids?
      bass?
Also will the TMAs easily slip off your head because it need to be able to stay on my head better than my M50's 
Also how hard does the bass hit? can you like actually feel it or is it more like listening to it.

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
Just curious how would they compare in a few categories- Isolation?
Sound Quality?
      treble?
      mids?
      bass?
Also will the TMAs easily slip off your head because it need to be able to stay on my head better than my M50's 
Also how hard does the bass hit? can you like actually feel it or is it more like listening to it.

Isolation is the same.
Sound is the same. (really? Yes, M50's are really nice headphones)
Treble is a little sharper on the TMA-1. IMO
Mids are more upfront with the TMA-1
Bass is more defined on TMA-1. I don't remember the impact between both, so can't tell you that for sure.
On ear headphones need higher clamping to stay on your head. So if your ears can manage, they would serve for staying on. Better? I guess you could say that. But the M50's stay around your ears better
Like I said earlier, can't remember the TMA-1's impact.

I liked the TMA-1's sound over the M50's. But I would trust the M50's over the TMA-1 as a headphone I would buy. Build, sound, use - the M50 all the way.

Are you looking for a more portable basshead can? Or just more bass?

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:

Isolation is the same.
Sound is the same. (really? Yes, M50's are really nice headphones)
Treble is a little sharper on the TMA-1. IMO
Mids are more upfront with the TMA-1
Bass is more defined on TMA-1. I don't remember the impact between both, so can't tell you that for sure.
On ear headphones need higher clamping to stay on your head. So if your ears can manage, they would serve for staying on. Better? I guess you could say that. But the M50's stay around your ears better
Like I said earlier, can't remember the TMA-1's impact.

I liked the TMA-1's sound over the M50's. But I would trust the M50's over the TMA-1 as a headphone I would buy. Build, sound, use - the M50 all the way.

Are you looking for a more portable basshead can? Or just more bass?

not bass head but just extra bass. These will go next to my ms 400's and ATH-M50's If i choose to buy them

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
not bass head but just extra bass. These will go next to my ms 400's and ATH-M50's If i choose to buy them

Not worth it then.

I just don't see trying to buying a bassy can to pair to another can that has just a little more bass to it.

Wait off, and if you want, get a FiiO E6 (which ups the bass). Check out the portable amp forum for a scale of the bass boost of the E6. With that and your M50's, the bass would be the same as from the TMA-1.

Save up your money for like a Pro900 or Pro750 if you really want bass.

Sep 2, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
I mean honestly I don't mind if they sound similar, I just want something that is convenient looks nice and sounds around as good as my m50s

The M50's have a very good sound for their price

I'm not someone who likes good looking headphones, so I tend to stray away from them.

TMA-1 would be a little, just a tiny upgrade from the M50's. But they are also a Celebrity can from a while ago. There's nothing too special about them, so I tend to block them out.

If you're looking at portable and have the money, check out some IEM's. Because it's hard to move away from your M50's sound. Other people might hate on the M50's, but they are one of the best headphones out there.

Sep 2, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
The M50's have a very good sound for their price

I'm not someone who likes good looking headphones, so I tend to stray away from them.

TMA-1 would be a little, just a tiny upgrade from the M50's. But they are also a Celebrity can from a while ago. There's nothing too special about them, so I tend to block them out.

If you're looking at portable and have the money, check out some IEM's. Because it's hard to move away from your M50's sound. Other people might hate on the M50's, but they are one of the best headphones out there.

Yeah I own the M50's and I'm probably gonna buy an amp instead, cause my MS400 and M50 and even my shure se215 iems lack a lot of bass on my iphone compared to my computer (only the ms 400 makes a big and bad difference because the bass doesnt cut it with my iphone). So I'm thinking basso t3 instead, which will make my similar headphone better, or I can just get a better headphone XD. 

Sep 2, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Yeah I own the M50's and I'm probably gonna buy an amp instead, cause my MS400 and M50 and even my shure se215 iems lack a lot of bass on my iphone compared to my computer (only the ms 400 makes a big and bad difference because the bass doesnt cut it with my iphone). So I'm thinking basso t3 instead, which will make my similar headphone better, or I can just get a better headphone XD. 

Well if you already don't have a amp, it's a good idea to buy one.

My 2 amps serve me as I need

But also ask yourself, "Do I really need more audio quality?" I'm at that point that I just want something I like to listen to music through and apposed to all the headphones I've listen to (all the flagships and several hundred more) I just want a headphone I like.

Just to say, I'm looking into cheap custom IEM's. If you have the money and the time, a custom would be a nice change then a universal if you want IEM's.

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Well if you already don't have a amp, it's a good idea to buy one.

My 2 amps serve me as I need

But also ask yourself, "Do I really need more audio quality?" I'm at that point that I just want something I like to listen to music through and apposed to all the headphones I've listen to (all the flagships and several hundred more) I just want a headphone I like.

Just to say, I'm looking into cheap custom IEM's. If you have the money and the time, a custom would be a nice change then a universal if you want IEM's.

I mean for IEM my shure se215's  serve me fine but, I mean an amp would get me the sound out of my ms400 that I want, and will be a great investment for the future.

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 10
It's better to get good amps before getting into mid~high tier headphones, otherwise you'll be sorely disappointed.

M50's are as good as it gets without amping; there are a few other cans which also do well without amping but they are all very equivalent.

tl;dr, get DAC/amps before you think about dropping purse on another pair of cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back