How would the TMA-1 compare to the ATH-M50
post-7725916
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 10

WakiDabeast

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
784
Reaction score
12
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Posts
784
Likes
12
Just curious how would they compare in a few categories- Isolation?
Sound Quality?
      treble?
      mids?
      bass?
Also will the TMAs easily slip off your head because it need to be able to stay on my head better than my M50's 
Also how hard does the bass hit? can you like actually feel it or is it more like listening to it.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7725929
Post #2 of 10

BotByte

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Messages
2,256
Reaction score
52
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Posts
2,256
Likes
52


Quote:
Just curious how would they compare in a few categories- Isolation?
Sound Quality?
      treble?
      mids?
      bass?
Also will the TMAs easily slip off your head because it need to be able to stay on my head better than my M50's 
Also how hard does the bass hit? can you like actually feel it or is it more like listening to it.

 
Isolation is the same.
Sound is the same. (really? Yes, M50's are really nice headphones)
Treble is a little sharper on the TMA-1. IMO
Mids are more upfront with the TMA-1
Bass is more defined on TMA-1. I don't remember the impact between both, so can't tell you that for sure.
On ear headphones need higher clamping to stay on your head. So if your ears can manage, they would serve for staying on. Better? I guess you could say that. But the M50's stay around your ears better
Like I said earlier, can't remember the TMA-1's impact.
 
I liked the TMA-1's sound over the M50's. But I would trust the M50's over the TMA-1 as a headphone I would buy. Build, sound, use - the M50 all the way.
 
Are you looking for a more portable basshead can? Or just more bass?
 
     Share This Post       
post-7725939
Post #3 of 10

WakiDabeast

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
784
Reaction score
12
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Posts
784
Likes
12


Quote:
 
Isolation is the same.
Sound is the same. (really? Yes, M50's are really nice headphones)
Treble is a little sharper on the TMA-1. IMO
Mids are more upfront with the TMA-1
Bass is more defined on TMA-1. I don't remember the impact between both, so can't tell you that for sure.
On ear headphones need higher clamping to stay on your head. So if your ears can manage, they would serve for staying on. Better? I guess you could say that. But the M50's stay around your ears better
Like I said earlier, can't remember the TMA-1's impact.
 
I liked the TMA-1's sound over the M50's. But I would trust the M50's over the TMA-1 as a headphone I would buy. Build, sound, use - the M50 all the way.
 
Are you looking for a more portable basshead can? Or just more bass?

not bass head but just extra bass. These will go next to my ms 400's and ATH-M50's If i choose to buy them
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7725945
Post #4 of 10

BotByte

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Messages
2,256
Reaction score
52
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Posts
2,256
Likes
52


Quote:
not bass head but just extra bass. These will go next to my ms 400's and ATH-M50's If i choose to buy them
 

Not worth it then.
 
I just don't see trying to buying a bassy can to pair to another can that has just a little more bass to it.
 
Wait off, and if you want, get a FiiO E6 (which ups the bass). Check out the portable amp forum for a scale of the bass boost of the E6. With that and your M50's, the bass would be the same as from the TMA-1.
 
Save up your money for like a Pro900 or Pro750 if you really want bass.
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7726496
Post #5 of 10

WakiDabeast

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
784
Reaction score
12
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Posts
784
Likes
12
I mean honestly I don't mind if they sound similar, I just want something that is convenient looks nice and sounds around as good as my m50s
 
     Share This Post       
post-7726579
Post #6 of 10

BotByte

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Messages
2,256
Reaction score
52
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Posts
2,256
Likes
52


Quote:
I mean honestly I don't mind if they sound similar, I just want something that is convenient looks nice and sounds around as good as my m50s


The M50's have a very good sound for their price
 
I'm not someone who likes good looking headphones, so I tend to stray away from them.
 
TMA-1 would be a little, just a tiny upgrade from the M50's. But they are also a Celebrity can from a while ago. There's nothing too special about them, so I tend to block them out.
 
If you're looking at portable and have the money, check out some IEM's. Because it's hard to move away from your M50's sound. Other people might hate on the M50's, but they are one of the best headphones out there.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7726721
Post #7 of 10

WakiDabeast

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
784
Reaction score
12
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Posts
784
Likes
12


Quote:
The M50's have a very good sound for their price
 
I'm not someone who likes good looking headphones, so I tend to stray away from them.
 
TMA-1 would be a little, just a tiny upgrade from the M50's. But they are also a Celebrity can from a while ago. There's nothing too special about them, so I tend to block them out.
 
If you're looking at portable and have the money, check out some IEM's. Because it's hard to move away from your M50's sound. Other people might hate on the M50's, but they are one of the best headphones out there.

Yeah I own the M50's and I'm probably gonna buy an amp instead, cause my MS400 and M50 and even my shure se215 iems lack a lot of bass on my iphone compared to my computer (only the ms 400 makes a big and bad difference because the bass doesnt cut it with my iphone). So I'm thinking basso t3 instead, which will make my similar headphone better, or I can just get a better headphone XD. 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7726754
Post #8 of 10

BotByte

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Messages
2,256
Reaction score
52
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Posts
2,256
Likes
52


Quote:
Yeah I own the M50's and I'm probably gonna buy an amp instead, cause my MS400 and M50 and even my shure se215 iems lack a lot of bass on my iphone compared to my computer (only the ms 400 makes a big and bad difference because the bass doesnt cut it with my iphone). So I'm thinking basso t3 instead, which will make my similar headphone better, or I can just get a better headphone XD. 
 

Well if you already don't have a amp, it's a good idea to buy one.
 
My 2 amps serve me as I need
 
But also ask yourself, "Do I really need more audio quality?" I'm at that point that I just want something I like to listen to music through and apposed to all the headphones I've listen to (all the flagships and several hundred more) I just want a headphone I like.
 
Just to say, I'm looking into cheap custom IEM's. If you have the money and the time, a custom would be a nice change then a universal if you want IEM's.
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7727819
Post #9 of 10

WakiDabeast

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
784
Reaction score
12
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Posts
784
Likes
12


Quote:
Well if you already don't have a amp, it's a good idea to buy one.
 
My 2 amps serve me as I need
 
But also ask yourself, "Do I really need more audio quality?" I'm at that point that I just want something I like to listen to music through and apposed to all the headphones I've listen to (all the flagships and several hundred more) I just want a headphone I like.
 
Just to say, I'm looking into cheap custom IEM's. If you have the money and the time, a custom would be a nice change then a universal if you want IEM's.
 

I mean for IEM my shure se215's  serve me fine but, I mean an amp would get me the sound out of my ms400 that I want, and will be a great investment for the future.
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7727882
Post #10 of 10

jerg

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 11, 2010
Messages
6,104
Reaction score
804
Joined
Aug 11, 2010
Posts
6,104
Likes
804
It's better to get good amps before getting into mid~high tier headphones, otherwise you'll be sorely disappointed.
 
M50's are as good as it gets without amping; there are a few other cans which also do well without amping but they are all very equivalent.
 
tl;dr, get DAC/amps before you think about dropping purse on another pair of cans.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top