How worn out should NOS tubes look?
Nov 13, 2017 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

flargosa

500+ Head-Fier
Just got new tubes from thetubestore. I'm not sure what to make of it. It's NOS, but should it look this worn out?

mQ1Gug7.jpg

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 4
Those look fine. Ragged labels and grungy pins are the norm, even for NOS tubes. Pins were perhaps bent during testing, though that can also indicate use. The getter flashing looks full and excellent, consistent with NOS or low usage. They aren't caked in dust; perhaps they've been in the box all their life. If the seller sold them as NOS you'll just have to take their word for it. More relevant to your uses would be their test results (and description of test setup).

How did you expect a 60 year old electronic product to look?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 4
Just got new tubes from thetubestore. I'm not sure what to make of it. It's NOS, but should it look this worn out?

They're about as old as Eleanor. Except tubes don't get waxed and detailed or repainted the way a vintage car would be. They look good for NOS tubes actually - there's no fog inside the glass. And even if they did they might operate properly otherwise, you just need to fire them up and let them warm up longer for initial use.

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 4
Ok thanks, I just wasn't expecting the lettering to be so worn out, my previous NOS tubes from another seller came in very worn out boxes but the tube lettering was clean and clear. It wore out over time from heat and my handling not from storage. The seller does not have measurement result but it sounds alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back