How well do UM56's work?
May 4, 2006 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

guzziguy

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I recently got a set of UM1's, with which I am quite pleased. The only problem is that it's a bit of a pain and time consuming whenever I have to insert them. I motorcycle and have custom earplugs so I was thinking that custom earmolds would make it easier to insert the UM1's. Plus I would get the added benefit (hopefully) of getting a better seal.

Does anybody have experience with UM56's? Was getting them worth it to you? Are they easier to insert and do they seal better that comply or flanged ear molds?

Thanks for your responses.

-ken

May 4, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #2 of 21
First off, welcome... I think that there are plenty of topics but the search HAS been buggy lately so...

If you have custom earplugs, and they fit real well, the UM56s should fit with that same degree of comfort. It will probably give a better seal, and is overall cheaper in the long run than complys (flanges hurt in my opinion). Plus its easy enough to clean, and feels pretty durable.

Just my thoughts.

May 4, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 21
I used UM56's with UM2's for 6 months, and I'll tell you straight out, they are not easier to insert then standard tips. I needed to use a mirror to insert the UM56 tips. Standard tips are a lot easier to insert by far. The custom tips are much larger and more complicated to put in. I ride my Suzuki with E4's and it's much easier to use the yellow foamies, which also isolate better than customs as well, which comes in handy riding a bike.

May 4, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
I used UM56's with UM2's for 6 months, and I'll tell you straight out, they are not easier to insert then standard tips. I needed to use a mirror to insert the UM56 tips. Standard tips are a lot easier to insert by far. The custom tips are much larger and more complicated to put in. I ride my Suzuki with E4's and it's much easier to use the yellow foamies, which also isolate better than customs as well, which comes in handy riding a bike.

interesting, i am interested in getting the um56 also, anyone else with these care to chip in?

May 4, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 21
Don't get me wrong, the UM56's sound much better than any of the standard tips with UM2's and I'm sure with UM1's as well. But putting them in on the fly? I don't think so, unless your peripheral vision is seriously evolved...Don't really use mine with the Shure E4's, I have some fit issues there, but honestly I like the sound with foamies better. The bass suffers a little with E4's and UM56's. With UM2's however, the overall sound seems a lot more balanced with custom tips. Supposedly, the sound comes pretty close to that of the ES2's. The ES2's have the same specs as the UM2, the difference being a dual bore in the ES2. The UM56 tip has a single bore. Insertion of the UM56 tips takes a bit of practice when you first get them. But even when it was second nature, I still had to do it in front of a mirror. Hoping I'll be able to make use of them again with the Shure E500, which unfortunately with me is a given that I'll have to have them.

Jun 16, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 21
i know this thread is a month old, but i wanted to add my response.

the UM56 plugs are SO EASY to put in your ears. easier than comply tips or anything else. i don't know why Pete7 was having problems, as it only takes me a second to put them in my ears.

i will say that mine have stretched a bit, so they slide off too easily. they will basically stay in my ears when i take the phones out...

i use a modded earplug that i bought at rite-aid for most of my use (gym, biking, etc), and the UM56 when i am just listening.

Jun 16, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 21
I had custom tips made for my UM2 as well but I didn't give them much of a chance as they made my left ear hurt. Like Pete 7, I also found them harder to insert than the non-custom tips and had to use otoease to get them in all the way. Went back to using the Shure Clear Flex as they've worked well for me and I'm just waiting around now to see how the E500 and the XXX are received.
Honestly feel I wasted my money buying the customs but that's just me, everyone's ears are different. Got 'em 'cause I just *had* to know, one way or the other.

Jun 16, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 21
you just put them in your ears and twist a little bit. that's it. they are custom made for your ears, so it shouldn't take much to get them to fit.

either you got a bad mold, you don't know what it is supposed to feel like, or you aren't used to the feeling.

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

the UM56 plugs are SO EASY to put in your ears. easier than comply tips or anything else. i don't know why Pete7 was having problems, as it only takes me a second to put them in my ears.

Here is the most important thing to remember. EVERYONE'S ears are different. Some will get them in with no problem. Some have smaller canals and they are a little harder to get in. Some have canals that have more "curves" in them, so they will be harder to get in. Some have drier ears and require the use of OtoEase.

If ever experience pain, soreness, lack of seal, etc, please make sure you tell the audiologist/dealer you got them from. Remakes are free within the first 30 days.

Jul 7, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 21
Here is my UM56 experience...

As far as ease of insertion, they are a dream! I used the long comply tips prior to going custom. While the comply tips aren't difficult, it's a multi-step procedure. compress the foam, lift the ear with opposite hand, insert and adjust. Not rocket science! with the UM56, it's: line up, push (gently) while twisting. optionally, a quick tug to the earlobe to equalize air pressure.

My main reason for switching was price. I would have spent double the cost of customs on foam tips over 1 year. I was immediately paid back with amazing comfort. I did have them remade because the seal was not perfect the first time though. I "blame" my audiologist for this however. He said that since I'm using them for listening, and not on stage as a singer I should not get an open mouth impression. After he squirted the molding material into my left ear, I kept talking to him asking questions. That ear came out fine. When he loaded my other ear, which then plugged up both ears, I stopped talking. (no point since I couldn't hear a response. Well needless to say I found the right ear to be very uncomfortable for extended periods of time.

He was able to grind the ear piece down so that it didn't cause pain, but it didn't feel perfect. I had him recast the ear piece, and said that I wanted it rushed because I was about to go out of town. I had it within a couple of days, and wasn't charged the express processing by Westone.

As for how long it takes to get them done, I had my first set shipped overnight for an additional $30. Since I did my impressions on a Friday, they were back at the audiogist Wed.

When I contacted Westone about time to have molds, made I was told 15 days. But that 15 days was only due to doing postal delivery. I had my left ear recast as well after I got my 2nd right ear piece. The second impression fit so much better, that I realized the left could be improved. I went with standard delivery, and I'm currently at 21 calendar days waiting. Mind you there was a national holiday in the mix as well. I'm guessing they'll be in early next week. I told them this wasn't a rush though.

good luck
-Jeff

Jul 8, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 21
Hi JeffS,
I'm glad you had a better experience.

Got a reply from Westone today. Apparently, my impression package got mis-routed and Westone never received them. I'm quite pissed off due to the fact that it takes more than 6 weeks to realise that and different excuses from my dealer. I'm going to cancel my custom ear mold.

I'll stick with long comply. I don't compress the foam before insertion so they last me quite a while.

Jul 8, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #13 of 21
teddysaur,

Sorry to hear about the problems you had. It does sound like a bad set of circumstances. I did have a great experience with Westone, and will probably go with them for full customs in the future. I hope you haven't been soured from custom molds all together. They really do add to the overall IEM experience. You might want to consider a different audiologist that stays on top of things better. I'm sure if you were called after a week and told there was a problem and they needed to retake molds, you'd be a lot happier.

As I stated in my earlier post, my first set were sent overnight. They used DHL, but I'm sure any place like fedex or ups could gurantee delivery. Even if you went for 3 day to save a few bucks, you'll know where they are.

-Jeff

Jul 8, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS
teddysaur,

Sorry to hear about the problems you had. It does sound like a bad set of circumstances. I did have a great experience with Westone, and will probably go with them for full customs in the future. I hope you haven't been soured from custom molds all together. They really do add to the overall IEM experience. You might want to consider a different audiologist that stays on top of things better. I'm sure if you were called after a week and told there was a problem and they needed to retake molds, you'd be a lot happier.

As I stated in my earlier post, my first set were sent overnight. They used DHL, but I'm sure any place like fedex or ups could gurantee delivery. Even if you went for 3 day to save a few bucks, you'll know where they are.

-Jeff

Doug from Westone is a good guy to deal with. But I was too sour by this experience and a previous one(just with my dealer). Where I'm staying does not have any audiologist dealing with Westone so I probably will not go custom anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back