How We Rank Our Own Headphones -- Statistics of 2,000 Owner Rankings, Compiled
Jan 9, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #46 of 58

I did indeed... the HiFiMAN HE-500.  And what a wonderful, smooth transaction it was!  At that time, I only had Beats headphones (Studio 2013, Studio 2013 Wireless, and Pro), the Sennhesier HD 598, and the Parrot Zik. Oh, and the Shure SE535 (bronze) IEM, which was my virgin used headphone purchase, from imackler right here on this board and gotten earlier that same month (May of last year).

That HiFiMan HE-500 was the door opener to wonderful head-fi. It had not only fast treble sparkle, but palpable precise bass... and everything in between.  It has been and still is the ONLY over-hear headphone that I have that does both so strongly... not the Sennheiser HD 800, not the Grado PS1000 or Grado HP1000, not the Beyerdynamic T 5 p.... only the HiFiMAN HE-500.  (There are two of my IEMS that do... the AKG 3003 and the T-PEOS H200).

Haha... I was the introduction to your gateway drug!  
L3000.gif

Funny, I bought a pair the HE-500's again recently. Saw Amazon's stock dwindling and I couldn't resist. I love the comfort of the 400i / 560's, but neither can touch the 500's sound signature imho. Oh what I would give for the a Hifiman with the HE-500's sound and the 400 / 560's comfort...

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #47 of 58

Haha... I was the introduction to your gateway drug!  
L3000.gif

Funny, I bought a pair the HE-500's again recently. Saw Amazon's stock dwindling and I couldn't resist. I love the comfort of the 400i / 560's, but neither can touch the 500's sound signature imho. Oh what I would give for the a Hifiman with the HE-500's sound and the 400 / 560's comfort...

Wow...sounds like you are saying that the HE-500 sounds better even than the HE-560, though it is less comfortable. Wow!  I've never had a desire to listen to the HE-560, but since it lists at $899, I figured it must sound better than the HE-500 listing at I think $500.

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #48 of 58

Wow...sounds like you are saying that the HE-500 sounds better even than the HE-560, though it is less comfortable. Wow!  I've never had a desire to listen to the HE-560, but since it lists at $899, I figured it must sound better than the HE-500 listing at I think $500.

Well I probably would be in the minority on that one, and obviously it comes down to personal tastes... But to me, I definitely prefer the HE-500's to the 560's! And the HE-500 at $499 is hands down the best deal going right now of any headphone!

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #49 of 58
One of the privileges that comes with accumulating over 40 pairs of headphones is the ability to compare them to each other.  I developed a set of 10 listening tests of features that were important to me.  The features that were important to me, that made up the 10 comparison criteria, are:

1. Transparency:  What is between me and the music?  A felt cloth?  A "Sennheiser veil?" A frosted window?  Dirty window?  Clear Saran wrap?  or nothing?  At its best, makes me forget I am listening on headphones and am in room with musicians.
  2. Width of sound stage:  How far to the left and to the right, (yes, AND up and down in best cases) does it seem the musical sources are arranged?
  3. Positional resolution:  Can I distinguish a difference in position of two singers in Song 1?
  4. Bass visceral:  Does the bass in third verse of Song 4 actually shake me? Or do I just hear it?
  5. Drum "twang":  At start of Song 1, do the bass and tom tom drumhead have a tone and a pitch, rather than just a thump?
  6. Bass pitch perception:  For the complicated bass runs in Song 1, do I hear a pitch with sufficient accuracy to sing or transcribe the part?
  7. Bass finger pluck:  Do I hear the actual impact of fingers on the bass string just before hearing its sound on Song 2?
  8. Shaker variation:  In Song 2, verse 3, do the various shaker shakes sound a bit different from each other, as they should?
  9. "Ripping" of organ / brass:  In Song 3, is there the sensation of hearing each vibration of the French horn and low organ reed tones (sort of the tonal counterpart to hearing a "pitch" from a drumhead in Test 5);
  10. Discern added chord:  About 1:38 into Song 3, after the full orchestra and organ hold a chord at the top of a passage, can I hear a small number of orchestra instruments join in, as sort of an echo, in the second measure of that chord?

Songs that are mentioned in the 10 tests above are:

• "You're Going To Miss Me When I'm Gone," by Band of Heathens, from their album One Foot In The Ether (used for fidelity of drum sound, positional resolution of two vocalists, and ability to discern pitch of string bass passages);
  • "Spanish Harlem," by Rebecca Pidgeon, on The Ultimate Demonstration Disc of Chesky records (used to assess female vocals, transparency, the attack of finger on bass string, and high resolution discrimination of differences in shaker shakes);
  • "Symphony No. 3 in C Minor Op. 78 (Organ Symphony) - IV" by Camille Saint Saens played by Lorin Maazel and Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra (used to assess the "ripping" sound of well-rendered lower brass and organ reed pipes, and the ability to hear a very small entrance amidst a bombastic chord of orchestra and organ at full tilt);
  • "Throwback" by B.o.B. on Underground Luxury (used to assess ability of a bass tone, specifically lowest C on piano at about 32 Hz, to pick me up by the throat and shake me!)

I then conducted 10 tests of three headphones each, in which I ranked the three headphones' ability to perform on each of the criteria.  This was a relative ranking, not an absolute.. a headphone with poor transparency but better than the other two of the comparison trio got just as many points as the winner of a different trio of headphones for transparency, even though it might be overall higher.  In this way, I got away from subjective "good, OK, poor" results that I feared I could not repeat or combine.

I also put the same headphone in several of the trio rankings, so that someone with more energy than me could try to merge rankings using the common headphones as anchor points.

To repeat, I used what was important to me.  What is important to you is different.

I scored the winner of the trio for each test with a 3, the middle one a 2, and the poorest a 1.  Then I added up the points of each headphone in the trio across the ten tests.  The winner, with the highest point score, got a blue coding, the runner up a red, and the second runner up (third place) a yellow.

Here are the summary results.  Each number in every line has a post that stands behind it, telling how that headphone ranked on each of the 10 criteria that went into that score.  For example, here is the post that supports the last line of the table, ranking three bass-heavy headphones:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/723136/battle-of-the-bassys-beats-pro-yamaha-pro-500-and-beats-studio-2013-compared#post_10634722

Perhaps even more importantly, accumulating 40+ headphones gave me the opportunity to develop a list of over two dozen excuses as to why I needed a new pair of headphones, even though I had 39 others.  You may find some of these battle-tested rationalizations useful in your own household:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/729181/why-i-need-new-headphones-26-battle-tested-excuses-for-your-use#post_10765474

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #50 of 58
Thanks, Tyll!

And a reminder to all... I'm happy to run any custom comparison lists for the less popular headphones than what I included in the table. Just post the two headphones you want to know about on this thread. Several examples (e.g. Stax 009, NAD VISO hp 50) appear earlier in the thread. (Of course, sometimes there won't be any data because no one has both of the headphones in question,me.g., Sennheiser HD 800 AND Beats Pro!).

Thanks for your effort @kayandjohn! Very helpful indeed.

I would like to get stats for SoundMagic HP200 vs Sennheiser HD650 as well as SoundMagic HP200 vs Beyerdynamic DT880PRO. Your help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #51 of 58
Thanks for your effort @kayandjohn! Very helpful indeed.

I would like to get stats for SoundMagic HP200 vs Sennheiser HD650 as well as SoundMagic HP200 vs Beyerdynamic DT880PRO. Your help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi... unfortunately, out of those 2,000 rankings, No One ranked the SoundMagic HP200.

There were three SoundMagic models ranked, each by just one user... is there one or more of these you'd like to see the rankings against other headphones for?  Sorry!

SoundMagic E301
SoundMagic ES181
SoundMagic HP1001

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #52 of 58
Hi... unfortunately, out of those 2,000 rankings, No One ranked the SoundMagic HP200.

There were three SoundMagic models ranked, each by just one user... is there one or more of these you'd like to see the rankings against other headphones for?  Sorry!

SoundMagic E301
SoundMagic ES181
SoundMagic HP1001
[tr] [/tr]

Ah too bad then. I'm currently only interested to know those comparisons.

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #53 of 58
I have some experience with both the 560 and HD800

At the Music City meet we had both modded and un-modded 560's, the modded beat the un-modded by a mile.

The HD800 are my own, and multiple head-fi members had plenty of chances to try out multiple set ups DAC's and AMP's 

My feeling; the HD800 can just do more, better imaging, soundstage and immensely more comfortable than the 560.

The HD800 can scale with better set ups but even with the less expensive quality (Schiit) DAC/AMP's they still sound great.

All that being said please check out

http://www.head-fi.org/t/735490/music-city-meet-2-fall-2014-pics-impressions-thread 

Hi Rumay408

I'm not totally surprised but a little surprised that I have decided (I think) to go with the hd800 v the he560. As good and inviting as they both are, I can't go past the soundstage of the hd800 and the clarity. In giving them both a good hit out today I felt I would say "I wonder what this would sound like if I bought the hd800s" if I decided to go with the he560s.

In t e other hand if I bought, which I plan to buy, the hd800 I would say "this would sound bloody warm and inviting with a great timbre on the he560s but ,is ten to this clarity these hd800s are giving me"

And if I don't want to bung in the hd800s I can always bung on the athm50xs, I dare say, for those tracks that might be sharp on the highs. Yes I know that are not the same or as good as the he560s but unfortunately the store was not open to my idea of buy 1 get 1 free on these two HPs. And in listening to the hd800s I did not consider them too sharp on the highs.

And when people say there is no bass, something is wrong - it's there, exactly as it should be.

Having raved on now, do you have any particular ideas about amps (or dac amps) that would come up ok for the hd800s under say $500. I've looked at quite a few threads and will continue but what have you found.

I'm considering ones like the odac and 02,not sure about the Schiit in case they are two bright here, the Polaris, the audio gd.

From asking around it seems like the O2 odac might be a good starting point but what does your experience show?

All views from all welcome

Cheers
Peter t

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #54 of 58
Hi Rumay408

I'm not totally surprised but a little surprised that I have decided (I think) to go with the hd800 v the he560. As good and inviting as they both are, I can't go past the soundstage of the hd800 and the clarity. In giving them both a good hit out today I felt I would say "I wonder what this would sound like if I bought the hd800s" if I decided to go with the he560s.

In t e other hand if I bought, which I plan to buy, the hd800 I would say "this would sound bloody warm and inviting with a great timbre on the he560s but ,is ten to this clarity these hd800s are giving me"

And if I don't want to bung in the hd800s I can always bung on the athm50xs, I dare say, for those tracks that might be sharp on the highs. Yes I know that are not the same or as good as the he560s but unfortunately the store was not open to my idea of buy 1 get 1 free on these two HPs. And in listening to the hd800s I did not consider them too sharp on the highs.

And when people say there is no bass, something is wrong - it's there, exactly as it should be.

Having raved on now, do you have any particular ideas about amps (or dac amps) that would come up ok for the hd800s under say $500. I've looked at quite a few threads and will continue but what have you found.

I'm considering ones like the odac and 02,not sure about the Schiit in case they are two bright here, the Polaris, the audio gd.

From asking around it seems like the O2 odac might be a good starting point but what does your experience show?

All views from all welcome

Cheers
Peter t

I'm using the Meier Daccord (DAC) and the Meier Classic amp which are nice mid-fi 
At the music city meet I was impressed with the Schiit Valhalla 2/ Lyr 2 as amps both were very good as was the Bifrost DAC
The Audioquest Dragonfly is a lot of DAC for the price if you use a computer as source.
The O2 has a good reputation, but not a DAC I have personally heard.
The HD800 scales so the better the DAC/Amp the better the sound

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #55 of 58
I'm using the Meier Daccord (DAC) and the Meier Classic amp which are nice mid-fi 
At the music city meet I was impressed with the Schiit Valhalla 2/ Lyr 2 as amps both were very good as was the Bifrost DAC
The Audioquest Dragonfly is a lot of DAC for the price if you use a computer as source.
The O2 has a good reputation, but not a DAC I have personally heard.
The HD800 scales so the better the DAC/Amp the better the sound

Thanks for the ideas. Great to hear what's working and not

I'll look into the meiers as I hadn't yet

Cheers

Sep 1, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #57 of 58
After over five years since posting this, I have begun the data analysis of the most recent 2,000 or so headphones ranked in the thread “Rank The Headphones That You Own,” which is still going strong. Takes a lot of time, due to manual data entry, but perhaps I’ll have an updated version, including recent headphones such as the HD800S, Meze Empyrean, and the Focal line, sometime during this November. Here’s hoping!

Sep 2, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #58 of 58
After over five years since posting this, I have begun the data analysis of the most recent 2,000 or so headphones ranked in the thread “Rank The Headphones That You Own,” which is still going strong. Takes a lot of time, due to manual data entry, but perhaps I’ll have an updated version, including recent headphones such as the HD800S, Meze Empyrean, and the Focal line, sometime during this November. Here’s hoping!

Brilliant!!! :clap:

Most of my HPs are relatively new models (XC, Stellia, Oppo PM-1, Aeolus), so I'm really looking forward to see how they rank among these titans.

Thanks for all this effort, it is highly appreciated. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back