How to use the Plainface Smiley?
May 7, 2005 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

PTheD

Headphoneus Supremus
I am a little lost as to the use of the plainface smiley. I don't get what it would be used for. It cant just be for complete indiference...it has to be some kind of an emotional showing, but what? What kind of an emphasis does it make on a statment or question or what? How exactly is this little smiley supposed to help my online communication experience?

May 7, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
I am a little lost as to the use of the plainface smiley. I don't get what it would be used for. It cant just be for complete indiference...it has to be some kind of an emotional showing, but what? What kind of an emphasis does it make on a statment or question or what? How exactly is this little smiley supposed to help my online communication experience?

smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by individual6891
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh shut up!
wink.gif

May 7, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 17
I use it when I play poker on-line...
plainface.gif

May 7, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
I use it when I play poker on-line...
plainface.gif

That is one use for it that I haden't thought of. Unfortunetly I don't play online poker & i most certainly don't play it on this forum. Still, that gives me an idea that I could use it when trying to bluff that I know what I'm talking about when I really don't. But then it would be more of a tell than anything else if that is all I used it for...damn, the frustrating plainface smiley...

May 7, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
THE PLAIN FACE SMILEY IS NOT TO BE TOYED WITH!!

redface.gif

And that is precisely why I need to find out the precise way in which it should be used. I don't want to disrespect the plainface smiley. I respect it as a graphic & as a person & think it deserves to be understood if it is going to be used in public.

May 8, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 17
You people are going to make me post three times in a row aren't you? Anybody else got a good reason to use the plainface smiley? All I have so far is that I can use it playing online poker (in a forum I guess?). I need more uses than that. That simply will not do. Not at all. Somebody out there reading this has got to have a good use for this plain little guy. Now help me out and drop a line in this thread. You know you want to & God will strike you dead if you don't so get off your high horsie and help me out.

May 8, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 17
Stoic huh, I've herd of the word but can't place a meaning or definition to it. Here I go off to dictionary.com. Hopefully this will fullfill my quest for the appropriate usefulness of the plainface smiley to be revieled to me...

...alright so it is somebody that don't give a tadpole if they are in pain or happy or being thrown from a bridge or getting one of those "Grandma Full Faced Cheek Destroying Kisses" or what.

From that I suppose I could use it if I am in an argument with someone over something (as happens so very frequently when you have two beings encoding & decoding information in a conversation) & I decide it doesn't really matter to me at all what the outcome of the discousion is or what the reality of the matter under said argumentation, is.

May 8, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 17
use it for all boring and uninteresting posts just like the smiley face ,better yet use for your "I am not listening to you anymore" emoticon

are you talkin' to me ? I said are YOU talkin' to ME ? Helloooo !
anybody in there ?

plainface.gif

May 8, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
use it for all boring and uninteresting posts just like the smiley face ,better yet use for your "I am not listening to you anymore" emoticon

are you talkin' to me ? I said are YOU talkin' to ME ? Helloooo !
anybody in there ?

plainface.gif

I like that, a "I am not listening to you anymore" emoticon. Now that I can use.

May 8, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Plain face is a lethal weapon best used in extreme situations of abject disagreement where tact is desired.

For example: This thread sucks and is a waste of time.
smily_headphones1.gif

One can throw any insult under its powerful guise...

Your mother wears combat boots
smily_headphones1.gif

I have seen more intelligent door knobs
smily_headphones1.gif

And so on

But those aren't plain faces that you are using...
plainface.gif

May 8, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #15 of 17
Don't think I've used it here, but on another forum, I've always used it as a response whenever someone says something so unintelligible that I don't even know where to start in correcting them... kinda like a "you're kidding me, right?" response. It compliments the rolling-eyes emoticon quite well.
smily_headphones1.gif

~KS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back