How to use Fiio E7 DAC Only
Jul 3, 2011 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

f00fighters

500+ Head-Fier
When I plug the Fiio E7 into my Mac Pro, it gets recognized as a USB DAC and I can plug my headphones into it, using it as a headphone amp/DAC combo. But how would I use it as a DAC only? Do I have to enable any settings within the unit? I attempted to use this a DAC only, and plug a JDLabs cmoy amp into one of the output ports on the E7, and it was not very good sounding. I didn't expect this combination to sound good, but I was curious. Anyhow, I don't think I was doing it properly, as I was still able to adjust the EQ settings in the E7. So I guess more specifically, my question is: Is using the E7 DAC only as simple as plugging a headphone amp into the one of the two outputs on the E7? (and it's suddenly a DAC)? or is there some DAC mode type of thing that I'm missing? And if that's the case, how do I enable it as a DAC only mode? Sorry if my question seems confusing, but I am just as confused. The supplied instructions are horrible. If someone could please help. 

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 7
The amp section of the E7 is integrated into the DAC section, so there is no way to bypass it. Check out the ibasso offerings if you want DAC and amp switching. 

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
The amp section of the E7 is integrated into the DAC section, so there is no way to bypass it. Check out the ibasso offerings if you want DAC and amp switching. 

[size=medium]
Oh my. I'm disappointed. This entire time, I thought it had the option as functioning as a DAC only as well, which is why I bought it. I heard of people using it as a DAC for their other amps. :frowning2:
[/size]

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 7
deleted

Jul 3, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:

Nope.  You need an L7 (link here).  It allows you to use the E7 as a DAC only, and then connect to an amp of your choice.  Other method (specific to the E9 amp) is to dock it in the E9, therefore isolating the DAC only, and using the E9's amp.

OP - the reason the sound was probably crappy going E7 headphone-out to the cmoy was that you were double amping.  If you get the L7, you should then be able to use the E7 DAC with the CMOY amp.

Jul 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Nope.  You need an L7 (link here).  It allows you to use the E7 as a DAC only, and then connect to an amp of your choice.  Other method (specific to the E9 amp) is to dock it in the E9, therefore isolating the DAC only, and using the E9's amp.

OP - the reason the sound was probably crappy going E7 headphone-out to the cmoy was that you were double amping.  If you get the L7, you should then be able to use the E7 DAC with the CMOY amp.

Ah I see, I didn't think that you could use the ipod LOD for the e7 as well. 

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Ah I see, I didn't think that you could use the ipod LOD for the e7 as well. 

The L7 is not actually an iPod LOD - it's a dock that bypasses the E7's amp.  The L3/L9 are iPod LODs - and they fit the iPod line-out, not the E7 line-out 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back