How to switch from analog setup to digital setup?
Mar 10, 2014 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JahJahBinks

Headphoneus Supremus
I am current using Yulong D100 DAC with M-Audio BX5a speakers. I am thinking of modifying this setup for movies. So if I change the speakers to a soundbar with digital inputs then I will need to ditch the DAC and connect the soundbar directly to the optical out on the motherboard, right? Is there a reason to get a PCI-e soundcard to get better digital out? 

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 7
Can you plug your computer into the DAC via USB?

ps soundbars generally sound terrible

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 7
  Can you plug your computer into the DAC via USB?

ps soundbars generally sound terrible

Right now the DAC is connected to the computer via USB. For soundbar, I am looking at something like the Yamaha YSP-2200 or Paradigm Soundtrack System, or I could upgrade my speakers to Adam F7 for similar amount of money, which is better? On one hand I don't want to lose the DAC (the D100 is pretty good), on the other hand soundbar might offer a better listening experience than my current 2.0 setup.

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 7
  why would u think a sound bar would sound better than your M-Audio BX5a

That's a great question. 

I am thinking that a sound bar would provide a better virtual surround than my current 2.0 setup (right now I use ffdshow audio decoder to create additional virtual channels), but that could just be my misconception. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 7
this is what i got form cnet:

I'm a fan of sound bars if you're simply trying to get better sound than what comes out of your TV. But if you care about audio even a little -- and especially if you love music -- you should consider a simple stereo system. A basic two-channel stereo system is only slightly more complicated than a sound bar and it sounds much better, especially with music, which sound bars don't handle well ........ Sound bars are still going to be the go-to option for most buyers, but a basic stereo system is a seriously underrated, better-sounding alternative. The components cost a little more upfront, but they'll likely last far longer than your sound bar.

http://reviews.cnet.com/sound-bar-buying-guide/

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #7 of 7

That's a great question. 

I am thinking that a sound bar would provide a better virtual surround than my current 2.0 setup (right now I use ffdshow audio decoder to create additional virtual channels), but that could just be my misconception. 

Unless I'm playing games I'd rather have the best quality, as close to fullrange response 2ch set-up than any compromise to using similar speakers in a 5.1 configuration. Well, actually I'd prefer 4.1 with a phantom center for a number of reasons. You're stil not going to hear Orcs wheezing behind you when they form up to assault the keep at Helm's Deep, or anything else behind you really. At best they can throw sound farther out to the side and closer to the center of the room than the HDTV's 2.0 speakers. If space isn't any kind of problem then don't compromise with a soundbar.

My Dad and brother used a soundbar for their living room against my recommendation to get a quality 5.1 speaker set from Martin Logan (which was on sale on Amazon at the time for the same price as the soundbar they picked up). They went back to the store and got a JBL 5.1 set, all speakers made of wood at least. Even if some soundbars can do a lot better tan that soundbar, how much more would they cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back