How to stream music from PC to PS3?
Sep 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
I just bought a 120 GB PS3 Slim and I've been searching the internets to find info about how to stream music from my Windows XP Pro PC to the PS3. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that directly applies to my situation.

I have a larger library of non-protected AAC files that I play on iTunes. My laptop has Windows XP Pro SP3 on it, and it is connected via wireless to my router. My PS3 is connected to the router wired.

Is there a way I can stream/access my iTunes library on the PS3? Would it be different if I just wanted to access the AAC files and play them directly? Sorry if these are both the same, I really have no experience with streaming music, media centers, etc.

If this question has been answered already somewhere, can someone point me in the right direction? I found a lot of info about using Windows Media Player, Windows XP Media Center, etc. but I am very confused.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can give me a hand!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 18
I am not sure if there is something that directly access iTunes, but you can download a program called Tversity that will allow you to share the folders. It works with Video, too.

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 18
Anything that streams according to DLNA should work, right? I use eyeTV connect, which for audio is free forever, and on a trial basis for video. Works a treat for mac users!

On windows there's TVersity, VLC, ps3mediaserver, and there must be others.

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 18
Not to hijack the thread but what do you guys think of the PS3's media center capabilities vs the xbox 360?

Currently I use a modded xbox running XBMC to stream movies to my TV and I've been happy with it besides it being too weak to play HD content and the lack of Blu-Ray or Netflix watch instantly.

I've pretty much decided to get the PS3 slim in a week and use PlayOn for Hulu and Netflix unless anyone convinces me the 360 is better in this regard. I've read that neither 360 or ps3 support .mkv but it may be possible to transcode and stream.. I suspect the Xbox may have the proprietary advantage with HD .WMV, can the PS3 play them at all?

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 18
Any reason why not considered a HTPC? Can playback all video/audio formats. As for PS3 steaming some NAS's have DNLA server so if music is stored on the NAS, no need for computer to be on.

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 18
Well I like games too and the PS3 seems like it has some nice exclusives that won't ever show up on PC.

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 18
i use TVersity, it is really easy to use and it works great for music. for movies it can be a bit laggy at times. it was fine before but i think one of the PS3 updates messed it up. PS3 plays HD, Bluray, DivX, WMV no problem. it has support for most video files as well as audio such as flac, aac, mp3, etc.

as for .mkv, i've had no success yet. transcoding won't work, you'll need to convert the mkv to vob first before you stream it. do a search on google.

edit: nevermind, looks like the ps3mediaserver can transcode mkv on the fly. don't know how good it works yet, will have to give it a try later.
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i use TVersity, it is really easy to use and it works great for music. for movies it can be a bit laggy at times. it was fine before but i think one of the PS3 updates messed it up. PS3 plays HD, Bluray, DivX, WMV no problem. it has support for most video files as well as audio such as flac, aac, mp3, etc.

as for .mkv, i've had no success yet. transcoding won't work, you'll need to convert the mkv to vob first before you stream it. do a search on google.

edit: nevermind, looks like the ps3mediaserver can transcode mkv on the fly. don't know how good it works yet, will have to give it a try later.
wink.gif

thanks, nice find.
beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #12 of 18
TVersity or PS3 Music Server are probably the best. If my WD HD TV Media Player's wifi doesn't get fixed, I'm very tempted to get a PS3 as a dedicated music player. Or a Squeezebox...

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #13 of 18
I tried the PS3 Music Server but I can't get it to work yet. I can see the folders on on the laptop HD but the PS3 tells me that all of them are empty. I hope it's just some setting I have to change. I will probably try TVersity over the weekend. Thanks for the help so far!

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #14 of 18
Been a while since I've used the PS3 to stream my media but I think when you're on the folder click Triangle and it should have a show all button or something. Try that instead of just clicking on the folder to see if the files show up.

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #15 of 18
you need to go to the navigation/share setting tab and click to add a shared folder. after you have that set up, you should be able to see all your files on the Ps3. it is all automatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back