How to solder Sony headphone cable.
Feb 15, 2006 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

keiron99

100+ Head-Fier
It's a long story, but I need to fix a new plug to my Sony CD1700 cable.

I have moderate soldering ability. I do feel that although I'd rather attache a 1/8 jack, I'll have to fix a 1/4 because I'm not skilled enough.

However the main problem is the Sony wires. Not only are they extremely thin, but I find it impossible to tin them. The solder simply will not take. I have read elsewhere that they are coated in a sort of "varnish" and to melt it off first. I tried this, but to no avail. It's immensely frustrating. Can anyone please help?

Feb 15, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 12
It's an enamel coating. There are 2 kinds of which one can be burned off by using some solder on the tip of your iron. If that doesn't work then it's an enamel that has to be scraped off. I believe the light colors are usually the enamels that can be burned off while the darker colors need to be scraped off. That statement has the possibility of being totally wrong but I remember reading it somewhere.
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way if your iron is too hot then you'll never get the wire tinned even if the enamel is burned off. I put a generous amount of solder on my tip and let the ball of solder surround the wire until it tins.

Feb 15, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 12
heat up your iron, place a glob of solder on the tip of the iron, coat the wire with flux, hold it to the very tip of the wire until the enamel burns off. If this doesn't work, your iron is not hot enough.

Feb 15, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
heat up your iron, place a glob of solder on the tip of the iron, coat the wire with flux, hold it to the very tip of the wire until the enamel burns off. If this doesn't work, your iron is not hot enough.

x2

Feb 15, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jl123

By the way if your iron is too hot then you'll never get the wire tinned even if the enamel is burned off. I put a generous amount of solder on my tip and let the ball of solder surround the wire until it tins.

this is where experience comes in. If you end up with a dry joint, then desolder and retin. A dry joint is when the solder gets to a level too high to remain inert and the composition of the solder starts seperating. You end up with an unreliable and brittle joint that way.

That just comes with the territory of experience when to eyeball a joint ideal, cold or dry.

Feb 16, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
this is where experience comes in. If you end up with a dry joint, then desolder and retin. A dry joint is when the solder gets to a level too high to remain inert and the composition of the solder starts seperating. You end up with an unreliable and brittle joint that way.

That just comes with the territory of experience when to eyeball a joint ideal, cold or dry.

Using good solder, you'd be ok not applying flux to the wire IMO. As long as the iron isn't too hot causing the flux to burn. I've done many headphone repairs this way and even used enameled wire for ps2 mods for several years.

You'll come up with your own way the more you do it. Do what works for you.

Feb 16, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 12
Thanks all. I've tried scraping and burning, but neither work. I have to say - I've never used flux in my life. Could that be where I'm going wrong?

Also, will any old solder do, or do I need to look for particular contents?

Feb 16, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 12
I use Cardas eutectic or WBT silver solder.

I do not like using kester and Radio shack solder personally,
but there are many here that love it.

Wonder solder seems to be popular also, I have never used wonder solder.

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 12
Hello - 
I am having a problem the solder won't stick to the wire, for sony mdr 7506 headphones. I broke the tip and I am doing this http://chrismetcalf.net/blog/archives/2007/08/07/how-to-repairing-faulty-headphones/

I read that I have to go and buy flux and I am using 63/37 rosin core solder from radio shack (i'm wondering if that is why), I have set my iron to 600 and the solder melts but it will not stick to the wire, I tired it at 500 also. maybe I need flux? maybe I need to get better solder? what do you suggest?

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #12 of 12
Pinkimarta, first, welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet and I hope you stick around and participate.

The reason the solder won't stick is because it is enameled. There are several methods for removing it, but I prefer to use nail polish or acetone. Some people burn the enamel off in a solder pot or with a flame, but I find acetone the simplest way. Be sure to use a wet rag afterwards to get the acetone off the wire before you solder it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back