How to set up a website? (help with opening a website)
Apr 5, 2020 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

voja

500+ Head-Fier
I know that the Head-Fi community has expertise in all types of fields, so I thought I'd reach out for help.
I need to open my website by the end of April, I want to take it to a higher level and have my own website. I have quite a few challenges which are presenting an obstacle for doing so. One of them is that I have absolutely no knowledge in programming and website making, the closest I got to "code" is by changing values and eliminating things in "Inspect element" on my browser. The second, I think biggest obstacle is money. I don't have a big budget, I think it would be safe to say that I am broke.. so I cannot invest hundreds or thousands of dollars. In fact even 50 bucks would be a cost for me. And it's unfortunate to say that because I truly am looking forward to doing something with my content and website.
My website will be more minimalistic, no crazy stuff going on. I am looking forward to post my written reviews on it, the pictures of the products, and to link my Youtube videos on it.
No crazy animations, a separate news feed or something of that sort.

I am also trying to avoid services such as Wix at all cost. I would like to be able to have the privilege of having access to edit the website myself (if possible) and to learn everything I would need to keep it running.

Overall I need a functional site which won't have any gimmicks and crazy features.

If anybody has any recommendations, or places/websites which will help me complete it and bring it to life in less than a month, it would greatly help me. I am aware of things such as Wordpress and Blogger.. but I have only heard of them, I actually don't know much about using them.

I am also aware that running a website costs money, and my question is how much? How much would I need to be paying monthly? I heard a range of answers, I heard people talking about numbers such as 2 dollars, $10, $30 and even $50, so I don't have the best idea how much I would be paying per month.

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 2
You dismissed Wix/Weebly too quickly. Why? You want simple and simplistic/minimalistic? Weebly.

cPanel+ host/domain, roughly $60 annually. You pay upfront. Added security and ecommerce will run you extra.

Maybe WordPress? More complex.

Buy a template and import it? More expensive.

Go to Fiverr and look for a cheap coder?

check out W3Schools?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back