How to properly charge and prolong the life of Lithium batteries
Apr 12, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by athenaesword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so the usb2.0 runs at a higher voltage than what the Li+ battery is supposed to charge at.. issit not advisable then to charge via usb but use a 4.2V ac charger? or will it charge at 4.2V all the same.

Reply to olden question, but relevant.

Batteries will just suck what they need. Current is involved too, but that muddies the waters and you don't need to know...

Jun 1, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew most of that being an electrician, but certainly very handy. Proper care for my Zen Touch battery has meant its kept its capacity for nearly a year, it nearly lasted all the time I was away on vacation last week, well over 20 hours.

Also its important to know that Li-Ion batteries charge at 4.2Volts per cell and USB2 ports run at 5Volts. So in fact DAPs which charge through the USB port are getting the same level of charge as using the mains.

Also, I didn't know, but USB2 ports stay energised as long as your PC is plugged in, but it doesn't need to be turned on. Li-Ion batteries can't be overcharged so its okay to leave your DAP connected to the USB constantly.

i think they can be over charged, its just that the controller will just stop it from happening.

just keep the thing relatively full and it'll be fine. mp3 players are so low drain they are pretty gentle on their batteries.

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #33 of 47
Hi.

First post.

If anybody's interested 3.85 volts equates to 40% charge in a li-ion cell.

A number of different player will show you the battery voltage in the service menu.

Regards

John.

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by acp6s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
be sure not to recharge when relatively full, best way is to drain then recharge then

Not for any Li-Ion chemistry battery. They are best charged early and charged often.

NiMH should be discharged completely occasionally, but isn't needed every time.

Aug 5, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #36 of 47
good info, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #37 of 47
simple don't recharge it when its not completely drained

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #41 of 47
I think the most impt step is always to charge superlong on the first charge right? I always charge like 10 hours for the very first charge even if it shows that the batt is full. I also heard that once in a while you shld fully drain the battery and recharge again.

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #43 of 47
Very informative links, i have read them completely and got some good inputs to improve the battery life. Thankyou for the links, if I misuse or abuse my battery, the most it's going to cost is £25 for a replacement a couple of months down the line. Thanks

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good information for HD-MP3 player owners:

How to prolong lithium-based batteries
How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Charging lithium-ion batteries
Charging lithium-ion batteries

So it basically tells you to keep the battery cool when not used, and to charge it frequently, and don't wait for to battery to run out fully and then charge it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back